Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
Stillriledup
Veteran

Comedians and comedy

I was thinking about guys like Kevin Hart and Will Ferrell and wanted to ask you if you think both these guys are 'funny' because they are outrageous. In other words, are funny and outrageous the same thing? If you think Kevin Hart is outrageous, and you think outrageous and funny are the same thing, than you'll think Hart is funny.

Tell me who your personal favorite comedians are and why. Are you into the outrageous comedy, I just find it too over the top, it's like the outrageous comedians are trying to be funny every second without coming up for air.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Comedians say funny things.
Comics say things funny.
-George Burns
So a comedian would be someone like Jerry Seinfeld, Will Ferrell would be a comic. I say this because it seems people are more divided about if a comic is funny as opposed to a comedian.I personally don't find most comics (in the definition given above) 'funny';I'm still at a loss as to why people ever found Pauly Shore hilarious ,or more in a contemporary vein Russell Brand.I've always liked Kevin James,even in his lesser movies, he'll always do something that makes me chuckle.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-09-2016, 07:06 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I don't like either one of those two.
I like Seinfeld, Jeff Dunham, Lewis Black, about half of his act - when is a comedian and not a political jerk. Sam Kinison, but the top of the heap has to be Mitch Hedberg.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44
Comedians say funny things.
Comics say things funny.
-George Burns
So a comedian would be someone like Jerry Seinfeld, Will Ferrell would be a comic. I say this because it seems people are more divided about if a comic is funny as opposed to a comedian.I personally don't find most comics (in the definition given above) 'funny';I'm still at a loss as to why people ever found Pauly Shore hilarious ,or more in a contemporary vein Russell Brand.I've always liked Kevin James,even in his lesser movies, he'll always do something that makes me chuckle.
Good post 44.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #5
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44
...I'm still at a loss as to why people ever found Pauly Shore hilarious...
I always figured that it was because his dad Sammy Shore owned the club, and they served alcohol.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2016, 01:06 AM   #6
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I was thinking about guys like Kevin Hart and Will Ferrell and wanted to ask you if you think both these guys are 'funny' because they are outrageous. In other words, are funny and outrageous the same thing? If you think Kevin Hart is outrageous, and you think outrageous and funny are the same thing, than you'll think Hart is funny.

Tell me who your personal favorite comedians are and why. Are you into the outrageous comedy, I just find it too over the top, it's like the outrageous comedians are trying to be funny every second without coming up for air.
I really think a lot of comedy is generational and changes. I watch some of those old dean martin roasts and don't laugh at all. Johnny Carson didn't make me laugh. I do like Rickles though.

I tend to like the comedians who are really offensive and work "blue". Mitch Hedburg as someone said is one of the best. Anthony Jeselnik, Norm MacDonald, Artie Lange, Chris Rock, Chappelle, Nick DePaulo some of my faves.
jballscalls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2016, 01:52 AM   #7
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
I really think a lot of comedy is generational and changes.
True humor certainly is generational and I don't see a lot of it today except on the occasional PBS shows from Britain.
Today many comedians seem to thrive on blatant crudeness.
The likes of Jack Benny, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Bob Hope, George Burns, and Jackie Gleason seem to have not passed on their subtleness to younger comedians. .
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2016, 02:00 AM   #8
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
... Mitch Hedberg.
guy was great.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2016, 02:22 AM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
I really think a lot of comedy is generational and changes. I watch some of those old dean martin roasts and don't laugh at all. Johnny Carson didn't make me laugh. I do like Rickles though.

I tend to like the comedians who are really offensive and work "blue". Mitch Hedburg as someone said is one of the best. Anthony Jeselnik, Norm MacDonald, Artie Lange, Chris Rock, Chappelle, Nick DePaulo some of my faves.
Thanks for the info, I've never heard of Hedburg, but I'm with you on the types of comedians you like, I also like Amy Schumer, she's probably the funniest female out there now, Sarah Silverman too is very good.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:22 AM   #10
thaskalos

I've noticed that the older I get...the less humor I find in people. Today's comedians do absolutely NOTHING for me.

The last really funny bit that I can recall was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N1sjdLQIj8
Old 01-10-2016, 08:00 AM   #11
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
True humor certainly is generational and I don't see a lot of it today except on the occasional PBS shows from Britain.[I]
Today many comedians seem to thrive on blatant crudeness.
The likes of Jack Benny, Milton Berle, Sid Caesar, Bob Hope, George Burns, and Jackie Gleason seem to have not passed on their subtleness to younger comedians. .
Being crude and offensive only bothers me when they're not funny.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #12
Johnny V

Two gamblers are coming out of church on Sunday. One turns and says to the other, "hey look, it's Hallelujah not Hialeah". Henny Youngman one of my old time favorites.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #13
Marshall Bennett

George Carlin
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #14
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I've noticed that the older I get...the less humor I find in people. Today's comedians do absolutely NOTHING for me.

The last really funny bit that I can recall was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N1sjdLQIj8
Normally, I don't care for Mr. Bean, but that video is truly funny.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #15
ManU918

I think Hart's stand ups are some of the best but I don't find him outrageous. He talks about real life scenarios which I myself have experienced so I think he's hilarious.

[YT="Hart Bench Press"]9qOtEvK59NE[/YT]

[YT="Hart Old People"]I8YIXk_18i0[/YT]

[YT="Hart Shaq Falling"]oDeCWNPHd-w[/YT]
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply