Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #16
groupie doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Some of these turf races are very good betting races.
I couldn't agree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
That is why I love OP - NO TURF!
I hate turf racing for the most part.
aaaand... my polar opposite! Hello inverse-doppelganger.

Last edited by groupie doll; 12-12-2019 at 08:53 AM.
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #17
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
It's ironic, too, that so many people complained about synthetic tracks because they think that horses should run on dirt, but now we're steadily transforming to a turf-first product instead and there are less and less races conducted on dirt. I wonder when the breeders are going to catch up with this, because they're still breeding for speed and dirt, for the most part. Fortunately, American Pharoah has turned out to be a strong turf sire.
I have the data to research it but haven't had the time. If I had to make a guess based just on observation I'd say the quality of turf racing in the US has been increasing in recent years and the gap between the US and Europe has narrowed a bit at the top. We bring in a lot more Euros, Chad is bringing in young unraced Euros, and we've had a few decent sire with AP adding to the list.

I'm not a huge fan of betting the cheaper races littered with 1st time turfers and horses going back and forth with off the turf performances mixed in but I love the high quality races.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #18
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
That is why I love OP - NO TURF!
I'm looking forward to playing OP as my primary track this winter. The quality of racing should be very high and when you have 9-10 dirt races it's a little easier to figure out how a track was playing than when there are 3, 4,or 5 dirt races sandwiched between turf races and the dirt surface is sometimes not getting watered consistency for each race and changing.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #19
Robert Fischer
clean money

much prefer dirt

once in a while there is either a really mispriced and easy turf race, and of course the higher class turf races are enjoyable

in general i'm a dirty old man
Old 12-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #20
castaway01

It's not so much that I "prefer" turf as that I prefer competitive races with some nice prices more than I prefer 5-horse dirt fields.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #21
groupie doll

guess I am in the minority... wouldn't be the first time!
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #22
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
It's not so much that I "prefer" turf as that I prefer competitive races with some nice prices more than I prefer 5-horse dirt fields.
I've pretty much stepped away from racing due to short fields. Short fields in combination with drastically huge odds drops after the horses leave the gates was the last straw. Figured, might as well spend my time doing other things in life. My tendency to bet smaller tracks compounded these issues and that's on me.

That said, the late fall turf racing at Aqu has been awesome.... seeing full fields of 12 leave the gate was something I really missed.

and yes, I hate to be "that guy" sounding like a broken record with regards to short fields and betting post bell... but, it seems as if betting races these days is dictated by the short fields. Playing horizontal, seems like one of the only ways to bet these fields... betting p-3, pick 4s and pick 5s just isn't how I want to spend my time. but to each their own.

If the future holds more 12 horse fields.. I welcome more turf in the future.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #23
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
You really disliked Aqueduct's November racing? There were a ton of good opportunities at great prices, mostly on the turf. I thought it was great. I played a lot more Aqueduct than usual just for that reason.
I don't even look at Aqueduct racing. Other than a stake if someone starts a thread about it here on weekends. I have no use whatsoever for 90% of NYRA racing. Any track, any surface, any time. Used to love Bel andSar turf racing, but last few years I find it a a waste of time. Give me Parx any day
Old 12-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #24
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
That is not the case everywhere. Not all tracks have such a limited supply of dirt horses as NYRA does.