Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #1
Al Gobbi

Whipping no longer allowed at Monmouth in 2021

Quote:
The New Jersey Racing Commission on Wednesday adopted a rule that will prohibit a jockey from using a whip on horses “except for reasons of safety” beginning with the start of the Monmouth Park meet next year.

The rule, which is the most restrictive of a number of regulations recently adopted by commissions across the U.S. dealing with whip use, was adopted on a unanimous vote over the objections of The Jockeys’ Guild, a national organizations that advocates for riders, and the operator of Monmouth Park. Under the rule, stewards at New Jersey racetracks will be responsible for determining whether a jockey used the whip for “to control the horse to avoid injury to the horse or rider,” rather than encouraging a horse to run faster.
https://www.drf.com/news/new-jersey-...courage-mounts
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
lefty359

They had it right and then they had to screw it up with making it subjective.
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

The New Jersey part of my handle just went from zero to -zero.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
Robert Fischer
clean money

wouldn't mind seeing the whip gone in the following situations:
  1. Herding
  2. ^Especially as a decoy for Herding when you steer into the path of a rival while pretending to whip to the other direction.
  3. That P.O.'d, 'wavy thing', they do after they feel they've been fouled
  4. The half-assed fake-wave they do on a fading contender, that signifies either the horse is empty, or the jock is no longer riding for a placing
  5. A well meant horse gets out-moved (or less often a jockey is out-ridden) and the jock goes to the angry whip in vain
  6. A rare horse who responds negatively to the whip, but the jock/trainer/etc... can't be bothered to memorize and execute a hand-drive-only strategy.

Rare emergency safety? - I'm 100% fine with that.

'Steering'? (e.g. get off the rail and commence a drive) Guess I'm fine with that, in a non-herding situation.

Whipping to get more from a horse? I'd be fine with banning this in exchange for a hard hand, coordinated hand-drive.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
Boomer

https://www.fingerlakesgaming.com/ra...-video-replays

Watch jockey Baez beating the crap out the 1 horse straight through the wire when he was hopelessly beaten for first and had second wrapped up by 8 lengths. Guarantee you there will be no fine. When I see crap like this I for one am glad tracks are stepping up before Peta does.

Last edited by Boomer; 09-18-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
castaway01

I expected a lot of people to have a problem with this, but personally I don't. I do think it could be a problem for jockeys that can use a whip at every other venue but then have to come here and basically ride without it. I also don't like the stewards being involved in judging the purpose of the whipping. Either ban it or don't ban it.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2020, 11:44 AM   #7
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi View Post
One thing to keep in mind about NJ is that the tracks are state subsidized- at least they were pre-COVID (Murphy's FY21 budget does not include the subsidy). So they are at the mercy of the progressives running the state. They say no whips, there shall be no whips. Hopefully this is part of the bargaining to keep the subsidy in place, but I doubt it.

The rule also covers Standardbred racing per the Thoroughbred Daily News article. That will be strange. I remember seeing drivers kick between the hind legs of the trotters and pacers. This is back in the day so not sure if it happens anymore. Oh how times have changed!

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...-whipping-ban/
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #8
Boomer

Vitually all the Big M drivers don't use the whip and don't feel they even need a whip to mtivate a horse. Not the same at Freehold
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2020, 10:36 PM   #9
clicknow

Whips don't make horses run faster.

I'm fine with this.

The best jockeys' talent is "in their hands".

I've seen more than my share of horses being mericlessly whipped in the stretch when they are already giving their all.

After watching Espinoza flail away on American Pharoah while the whole world watched was enough for me. I have no respect for "stick jockeys".

Last edited by clicknow; 09-19-2020 at 10:47 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2020, 11:09 PM   #10
clicknow

Also horses don't run faster at the end of a race.

By nature all beings will "protect themselves" when they start to tire, or have reached their limit.

By over-whipping them we are going against everything inherent in this.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2020, 11:41 PM   #11
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Whips don't make horses run faster.

I'm fine with this.

The best jockeys' talent is "in their hands".

I've seen more than my share of horses being mericlessly whipped in the stretch when they are already giving their all.

After watching Espinoza flail away on American Pharoah while the whole world watched was enough for me. I have no respect for "stick jockeys".
Yrs, but does he win without that whipping? Cauthen said when he went left handed on affirmed for the first time, he gave that something extra that meant the difference between winning and losing the triple crown.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2020, 10:23 AM   #12
Johnny V

The article states that this rule [I]will address public perception problems[I]. The goal of avoiding negative perceptions does nothing to appease Peta and other animal rights activists. They aren't going to be satisfied until racing is banned. Period. The input of the track and jockeys are ignored. Why bother? I think the rule was good enough as it was.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2020, 06:29 PM   #13
Afleet

I remember a jock saying that experienced $5k claimer types wont run w/o a little urging
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2020, 06:57 PM   #14
Al Gobbi

California’s More Restrictive Whip Rules Go Into Effect On Oct. 1

Quote:
A more restrictive rule governing use of the riding crop will go into effect Oct. 1 for all Thoroughbred, Quarter Horse, and mixed-breed races and also during training in California. The amended rule is designed to further protect horses without compromising the safety of horses and riders.
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/t...fect-on-oct-1/
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #15
alhattab

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.co...ew-whip-rules/

Jocks except Peterson pissed
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: