Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Horseplayers Association of North America (H.A.N.A.)

Old 09-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #16
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity
yes, it's called the law of large numbers.

imagine a poker game where you had all night to play, but only ten hands were going to be dealt... great fun, eh?
Well, it isn't working in my opinion. I didn't say they all have to go. But if you reduce the number of races, fields get bigger and more competitive.

The large numbers we need are pool size, not microscopic pools scattered all over the map offering little to no value to anyone but those raking in the takeout.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2009, 10:42 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
I wasn't looking particularly good that day I admit.
Well done.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #18
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Well, it isn't working in my opinion. I didn't say they all have to go. But if you reduce the number of races, fields get bigger and more competitive.

The large numbers we need are pool size, not microscopic pools scattered all over the map offering little to no value to anyone but those raking in the takeout.
I think we have enough horses and enough races and tracks, we just don't have enough gamblers

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #19
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
seems to me that the night tracks already seem to have big enough fields.

cleaning up the game (drugs) is what would make these fields more competitive and even encourage new blood to enter the ownership ranks.

great rebates are also available at most of these tracks. if people would rather bet 4 and 5 horse fields at hokey california polytracks though, that is their choice. nothing i can do about that.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #20
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
great post dean t!!

one more major thing i will add that poker has over racing though is that you can choose your opponents.
Betfair kinda figured that out
Old 09-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
seems to me that the night tracks already seem to have big enough fields.

cleaning up the game (drugs) is what would make these fields more competitive and even encourage new blood to enter the ownership ranks.

great rebates are also available at most of these tracks. if people would rather bet 4 and 5 horse fields at hokey california polytracks though, that is their choice. nothing i can do about that.
The tracks I mentioned were not the point. I said it doesn't matter which ones close or cut back on days, they were just examples of too much product.

I have no problem with getting drugs out of racing, just not sure it will ever happen.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:31 PM   #22
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I have no problem with getting drugs out of racing, just not sure it will ever happen.
Long way to go to get there. First step is to define what "Drugs in racing" means (What really are the list of banned substances). Then the threshold of each drug needs to be established. Then this needs to be accepted across all racing jurisdictions. Simply saying "all drugs" doesn't cut it.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #23
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
... I said it doesn't matter which ones close or cut back on days, .
for some reason i think it does seem to matter. these night tracks seem to be doing something right because they consistently seem to be getting the horses.

maybe i don't look at pha and del enough and their avg field sizes really are as big as pen and ct's?

sunday though i downloaded all of the dirt races for winners at both pha and ct. largest number of horses entered at pha:8. lowest number of horses entered at ct:9.

ct, pen, evangeline/delta.... big fields, big rebates available, convenient post times...... but no handle. for whatever reason, you're right..... it isn't working.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2009, 12:43 AM   #24
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Competitive racing

I was just looking over the charts for today and noticed the payouts of this card at DEL:

1 $4.20
2 $3.40
3 $2.60
4 $2.60
5 $3.00
6 $4.80
7 $4.80
8 $2.80
9 $6.40
10 $3.40

Now there's an argument for cutting back if I ever saw one! What's the point
Old 09-30-2009, 01:28 AM   #25
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
In addition, you can go to NUMEROUS sites online that list DOZENS of winning "poker pros" whose results are documented and posted. I challenge you to find and list FIVE "horseracing" pros that are profitable and whose names are public. Oh, these five may exist, but no one knows of them, and more importantly, because no one knows of them, they cannot help the sport attract what it needs: interest from young people that think or believe they can beat the game in the long run.

The solution to racing's woes is obvious: make people believe that they can win money long term by betting horses. NOTHING MORE and NOTHING LESS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imriledup
Great post. Who IS the Phil Hellmuth and Phil Ivey of horse racing? Who's the really cool guy with the sunglasses who hits all the pick 6s and is driving around in a new Mercedes on horse race winnings?

Who's the professional gambler who wants to come on the TVG set and talk about how much money he makes per year just betting the races?

Its like racing is doing a great job of hiding its winning players. They may as well be in the witness protection pgm, no one really knows who they are.
It was not too long ago when Chris Scherf went around to everybody involved in the industry saying that any winning professional player is "stealing" money from the tracks/horsemen (industry). Not one person he told this to ever called him nuts.

The General Manager of the track that I attended almost every race card since I was 13 years old......was their biggest bettor accounting for about 2.5% of total handle and 15% of on track handle....they knew I was crushing their product for years....told me that "it's a privilege we let you bet here"

The industry has been trained that anybody leaving the facility with profit in their pocket is bad for the industry.

Considering that Scherf and almost all of the people he trained, or were previously trained to think this way, are still in charge.....How the hell can the industry jump from winners are thieves to let's promote winners in hopes of possibly attracting more winners?

And why would a winning professional player that has contributed millions or tens of millions of dollars over his lifetime to purses/tracks through takeout or host fees while being called a thief for winning, want to go public for the good of the game when if you hooked up the people in charge of the game to a lie detector and asked them if he was stealing money from the industry, it would show that most in the industry still think he's a thief?
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2009, 03:21 AM   #26
Imriledup

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideThePylons-MW
It was not too long ago when Chris Scherf went around to everybody involved in the industry saying that any winning professional player is "stealing" money from the tracks/horsemen (industry). Not one person he told this to ever called him nuts.

The General Manager of the track that I attended almost every race card since I was 13 years old......was their biggest bettor accounting for about 2.5% of total handle and 15% of on track handle....they knew I was crushing their product for years....told me that "it's a privilege we let you bet here"

The industry has been trained that anybody leaving the facility with profit in their pocket is bad for the industry.

Considering that Scherf and almost all of the people he trained, or were previously trained to think this way, are still in charge.....How the hell can the industry jump from winners are thieves to let's promote winners in hopes of possibly attracting more winners?

And why would a winning professional player that has contributed millions or tens of millions of dollars over his lifetime to purses/tracks through takeout or host fees while being called a thief for winning, want to go public for the good of the game when if you hooked up the people in charge of the game to a lie detector and asked them if he was stealing money from the industry, it would show that most in the industry still think he's a thief?
Thats incredible, i never realized that people view winning players as theives.
You learn something new every day.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #27
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
one more major thing i will add that poker has over racing though is that you can choose your opponents.

in racing you're potentially going against the best on every "hand."
I have a friend who has played poker most of his adult life (he's in his 60's). He played for a living for a couple years in LV but LV was too hot in the summer for him to pursue his other passion: Golf. He "bottom fishes" playing in mid-level limit-games and lower-level tournaments. When I asked him once why he didn't play in larger-stakes limit games or the big tournaments he said that he was comfortable playing where he knew that he had an edge and could win practically every time that he sat down.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:48 AM   #28
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

I see in the news that New Jersey is considering banning steriods.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #29
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
I have a friend who has played poker most of his adult life (he's in his 60's). He played for a living for a couple years in LV but LV was too hot in the summer for him to pursue his other passion: Golf. He "bottom fishes" playing in mid-level limit-games and lower-level tournaments. When I asked him once why he didn't play in larger-stakes limit games or the big tournaments he said that he was comfortable playing where he knew that he had an edge and could win practically every time that he sat down.
My mother plays online poker. She made good money at it up until a year ago because the good players have stayed on and the not so good players come and go (now she holds her own), but even though she was up thousands and would rather play $5 or $10 minimum games, she found that she lost in those games, but she constantly won in the $1 minimum game.
A big chunk of her winnings were thanks to rake backs (rebates), so even though she would rather bet more, she sticks to the small games because that is where she has an edge.

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #30
miesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbauer
I see in the news that New Jersey is considering banning steriods.
Now that was the story that got my attention that past few days, talk about dragging feet on an issue.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply