Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 11-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
Maxspa

HSH-Review-Part 1

All,
In 2002 I purchased HSH ! I unsuccessfully used the software in 2002+2003 and put the software on the shelf where it gathered dust! The software had me doing the zigzag phenomena. As soon as I had a losing day it seemed Dave came up with a new idea or approach. Without testing the procedure on my track, It immediately became my method for handicapping the races. This was a game plan for disaster!
When HSH 4 news hit the website, I thought I'd take another look at the HSH website. What I saw, was an active group discussing the many aspects of a handicapping program. There were also were many additions and improvements since I last utilized the software. I decided to further explore the PA board for articles related to HSH. Starting with PA's review and reading several others, I became seriously interested and decided to contact Dave Schwartz regarding the particulars for a former subscriber. He was extremely helpful and outlined a plan for me to catch up with the advancements that had been made. He sent me several Horse Street videos (17 or 18) plus the new program updates to download. If you wonder why I haven't participated on the board lately, now you know why! My time has been spent with factors, filters,objects, tables, operations,composites, and getting used to the procedures that are required to use them properly. At this point, I need to mention the positives that contributors make to a BBS board. One member on Dave's board (Buzz) posted a step by step procedure for creating filters,objects etc and in my opinion, his work was extremely helpful to me!
HSH is now a project of a vast magnitude. There is something for every type of handicapper beginner thru advanced. However, it is my opinion that the person who becomes familiar with the many aspects of the program and then includes his or her own preferences and tests those approaches, will rewarded. For example, I printed out the 17 pages of factors (From class to paceline selections) that can be used in the program. What you get from Dave S. is his life's work! Because he is an avid reader, Reynolds numbers and Fibonacci weighting are part of the total package. I mention this aspect of his work because he never seems satisfied. Dave is always looking for ways to improve his product.
In summary HSH is indeed a very complex program of handicapping and wagering developed by a person whose is as complex as the program. To my knowledge he has had some help along the way but for the most part the program is a result of his intense desire and dedication to create the best product possible and in my opinion he has accomplished his goal, well sort of. The unveiling of HSH 4 will happen soon!
Maxspa
Maxspa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
PlanB
Veteran

MaxSpa, what an honest opinion. Just reading How Dave S. posts, nitpick and his style, makes me know that he is seeking the answer because he firmly thinks rationality holds the key. I agree with him, but ----BUT-------racing prediction is rational & not rational at the same time. I have NOT seen any approach that makes sense to me. umm, okay, over the last ~20 days I have subscribed to a fig service that's been very good, but that's because I've filtered the real contenders & I refuse to consider the non-runners. This routine allows for scratches & I just pretend the non-contenders were scratched. CJ, can a user scratch horses from your program? Anyways, I just have NOT seen a program of figs that allow me to NOT have a DRF in hand. (PS: My ROI with this new proggy is about 22% SO FAR)
PlanB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
Maxspa

Different Strokes!

Plan B,
As sharp as Dave S is, he programmed many different approaches in HSH from its inception. I believe his plan was no accident! Will my selected direction using HSH lead me to a profit? At this stage of my study, I have no idea! One result of my work with this program is the admiration and respect I have for his product. I honestly don't know how he has time for any other of life's activities. He programs, answers questions, fixes bugs, solves BBS problems, devises videos, reads and keeps up to date with anything associated with his software. You've got to respect his work ethic!
I agree with your basic premise, the individual and the program have to be a good fit.
Maxspa
Old 11-25-2006, 11:53 AM   #4
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspa
I agree with your basic premise, the individual and the program have to be a good fit.
Maxspa
You have invested four years in just getting this program off the shelf. That sounds like a very steep learning curve. I hope you can eventually make all of your hard work pay off.

Murph
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2006, 12:04 PM   #5
Maxspa

Program Changes!

Murph,
The program has changed dramatically since I put it on the shelf. There can be a learning curve if you take the direction I'm now pursuing. I have quite a software collection and haven't seen as many variables available for handicapping purposes as this program has at your fingertips.
Just so everyone on the board knows, I've paid for this program and the new update that's coming soon! I have no axe to grind here and am only giving credit where I think it belongs!
Maxspa
Old 11-25-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
cato
Irrationally exuberant

How's that user manual coming along?
cato is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
How's that user manual coming along?
LOL - Another voice from the wilderness.

We don't do user manuals... we do user videos.

We decided to do this because the manual would be 1,000 pages and nobody would read it.

Instead, we teach it through videos.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
PlanB
Veteran

DS, does your proggy have Class ratings? In fact, I am very curious, does anyone know of any program that gives Class a tumble?
PlanB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
DJofSD
Screw PC

Dave,

How goes the testing with the new version?

Are you running under XP or Vista?
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Maxspa

Class Ratings!

Plan B,
Several class ratings are available. Class level of last race, last good race, best good race, back class , earnings per start etc etc etc. The good news is you have a choice to use them or not in your handicapping. I particularly like earnings per start.
There are so many options in this program, that you are overwhelmed at first. It doesn't matter how many there are, the user can pick and choose which ones fit his or her plan of action.
Hope this helps!
Maxspa
Old 11-26-2006, 01:07 PM   #11
Dave Schwartz

DJ,

I have not yet even set up a test machine with Vista, although that is a good idea. It runs better with XP than any other OS, but runs fine even with Win98.

Dave
Old 11-26-2006, 01:23 PM   #12
DJofSD
Screw PC

Dave, what about the newer dual core and the newest duo 2 core (4 IPs): does you software develop tool of choice take advantage of the hardware, i.e. does it support multiple threads?
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2006, 01:13 PM   #13
Maxspa

HSH Update-Probably Early February!

All,
Taking lots of notes while getting re-aquainted with HSH. It is truly is a work in progress and a challenge. Murphy's Law has visited me a few times but I'm determined not to let Ole Murph get the upper hand.
In a few days I'll be working with H4 and looking forward to the experience!
Without giving a lot of details now, I can honestly say that the HSH program is complex in many ways but the technical advances that have been made can help the user as well. I developed a file problem and because of the advanced methods that Dave uses, it was quickly fixed (ten minutes).
I'm immersed in creating filters, objects, events based upon my handicapping experience. Soon the operation of H4 will be a priority. So far I'm glad to have made the decision to get re-acquainted with HSH
and the specifics will be found in HSH Review Part 2.
Maxspa
Old 12-21-2006, 02:02 PM   #14
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Dave, what about the newer dual core and the newest duo 2 core (4 IPs): does you software develop tool of choice take advantage of the hardware, i.e. does it support multiple threads?
Historically, AMD processors have run non-SQL databases much faster than Intel's. I have never run on a duo core, although HSH runs blazing fast on the AMD 64-bit machines we have around here.

HSH does not take advantage of the multiple processor stuff. I understand that there is a free program available that binds Clarion programs to one processor which supposedly enhances the performance. (Clarion is the language HSH was written in.)

Dave
Old 12-21-2006, 02:37 PM   #15
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Dave,

You are truly one of the good guys!!!

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: