Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 08:15 PM   #1
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

Do horse grooms really make nothing?

https://www.my.jobs/elmont-ny/horse-...medium=organic

I guess so
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
Afleet

No education required

Employer provided multiple occupancy housing with utilities available, at no charge to the workers.

Transportation (including meals and, to the extent necessary, lodging) to the place of employment will be provided, or its cost to workers reimbursed, if the worker completes half the employment period. Return transportation will be provided if the worker completes the employment period or is dismissed early by the employer. Daily subsistence rates are $12.07/day without receipts or up to $51/day with receipts.

Seems like more than nothing to me
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2018, 09:19 PM   #3
PointGiven

Work days: Mon-Sat, split shift 4am-11am and 3pm-4:30pm, 48 hours/week total. 40 hours/week at $13.29/hour. OT at $19.94/hour.

If I am reading that right, that is the pay. You also get room and board and transportation.

You won't get rich, but that's more than nothing.
PointGiven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #4
onefast99

When we win the barn stake we pay is 2% of the purse to the barn, that includes all the grooms and workers. From time to time we take care of the barn workers with items they and their family need. We also fully support the NYTHA education and workers programs as well.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:44 PM   #5
TonyK@HSH

Keep in mind that the groom job listed is at Belmont. One of the higher paying jobs in the industry. At many smaller tracks rates range between $80-$100 per horse. Seven days a week with Sunday off every 2-3 weeks. Some tracks offer inexpensive grooms quarters (a room) with shared bathroom/shower facilities. No travel reimbursement or per diam.
Not a glamourous job in the states.
TonyK@HSH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #6
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointGiven View Post
Work days: Mon-Sat, split shift 4am-11am and 3pm-4:30pm, 48 hours/week total. 40 hours/week at $13.29/hour. OT at $19.94/hour.

If I am reading that right, that is the pay. You also get room and board and transportation.

You won't get rich, but that's more than nothing.

Don't you know, some folks think that everyone , no matter the task, should make at least 50k a year with bennies.

That said, I think a lot of folks are grotesquely overpaid for what they do/produce, and some are poorly compensated.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #7
macguy

I worked as a groom about 20 years ago right out of high school, it was my first true full time job.

Loved lots about it, but the really early mornings mixed with the repetitive days (with few off) drove me to think maybe I should aim a little higher with my career ambitions.

A few years after I moved on, the HBPA started bringing Mexicans in to work the backstretch. Trainers couldn't find enough Canadians to fill the jobs.

Always nice to know I'll never be out of a job as long as I can walk and turn left.
macguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #8
timp

been there

are you people serious where did you get those figures this Is the real world up at 5am work till 500 pm maybe later possibly have to ship to run which could get you back who knows when min 70 to 80 hours week no days off and you might get from 4 to 500 a week that's reality how you like that
timp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-13-2018, 11:52 PM   #9
BrentT

They make peanuts, always have, always will. It's really sad.
They really have to love this job in order to stick with it. Thats what keeps most around.
BrentT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2018, 06:25 AM   #10
Frankie D

of course they love working the job.

The issue will arise one day when this level of job hasn't provided the older age care/"retirement" they eventually find themselves needing - a very real reason we work...
Frankie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: