Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Poll: preferred pick 5 type
Poll Options
preferred pick 5 type

Old 01-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #1
SG4

Pick 5 type

When betting a pick 5, do you prefer the wager when it offers conso payments for picking 4 out of 5 (usually 25% of the pool, such as Keeneland & Gulfstream) or when it pays 100% of the pool to those with 5 of 5 (ie NYRA & California)?

I have a very strong feeling one way, was curious how others felt.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2021, 10:36 PM   #2
dryrunguy

I saw this post late last night, had an immediate reaction, but decided to noodle on it.

I'll stick with my original gut reaction. Pay 5/5 only UNLESS no one went 5/5, then pay out to 4/5. I've had a few 4/5 payouts for Pick 5s at Gulfstream. They've never been enough to cover even a low-budget Pick 5 ticket. Correctly nailing a Pick 5, even a fairly chalky one, deserves to be rewarded.
dryrunguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2021, 11:22 PM   #3
Poindexter

Since i get 4 out of 5 on just about every pick 5 I play in thoroughbreds, to me it would be a lot better if they payed for 4 out of 5. That being said I think just paying 5 of 5 is the better way of doing it.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #4
JohnGalt1

You didn't offer the choice of-- If no one hits, 100% is carried over.

I don't like these and is why I don't play the hi-5.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2021, 04:59 PM   #5
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 View Post
You didn't offer the choice of-- If no one hits, 100% is carried over.

I don't like these and is why I don't play the hi-5.

Carryover provisions are a different topic, and not what I was interested in here
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2021, 12:32 AM   #6
deelo

Great question, don't know the right answer but would love to hear your argument to pick a side. If either a bomb or favorite you didn't like gets you, it's nice to cash your bet back on 4/5 but I also realize it dilutes the days you're 5/5 a lot. Not sure the math on that long-term which would solve it, but I can roll 4/5 over here and there for extra chances at the 5/5 once in a while.

46 votes and 3 replies. First impression voting but no strong argument.
Old 04-09-2021, 09:56 AM   #7
formula_2002
what an easy game.

you most likely will never win the amount you should, so I would try to to increase my "chances" of winning and play with the consolation.
good luck.

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
formula_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2021, 09:48 AM   #8
LemonSoupKid

I play these horizontals on big racing days (P5, not P6 unless a mandatory) and over the long term, they are so hard to hit, I agree with most of the above that I'd rather be rewarded. I'll be playing the P5 today at Pimlico, early and late, it's funny that that wager is the 12% take and they do the hokey rainbow for the Stronach tracks that without a mandatory is a total waste of time.

It's been a while since I hit a P6, so I'm wondering if I should focus more on my singles and cheaper overall tickets (thus losing less when I lose); that bomb random 20-1 shot though is always enticing in some of those ALL type legs ...

LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: