Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 05-14-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
PIC6SIX

HANDICAPPING BOOKS FOR SALE

I have multiple handicapping books for sale that I have acquired since 1980. Some of the book titles include; Art of Handicapping (Conte), Six Secrets of Successful Bettors, Ainslie's Complete Guide to Thoroughbred Handicapping, High Tech Handicapping, The Winning Horseplayer, Secrets of Professional Turf Betting, Betting Thoroughbreds (Davidovitz), Search for the Winning Horse (Sesuli), Inside Racing, The complete Guide to Racetrack Betting, Beyer on Speed, Racehorse Handicapping, Workouts Maidens, The Literature of Thoroughbred Handicapping (1965-1982), THE NEW EXPERT HANDICAPPERS, Racing Maxims of PIttsburgh Phil, Reading the Body Language of the Trainer, Horse Racing A-Z, 1988 American Racing Manual, Racing Symposium Tapes Las Vegas-1984 and old issues of the "Racing Star Weekly" 1984-1986. I would like to sell all as a complete set or possibly individually. If interested you can send me a private message to my Paceadvantage moniker (PIC6SIX) or a message to my personal email, santa6anita@msn.com. My first name is NICK
PIC6SIX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #2
Aner

The description of Handicapper's Corner is "Information you can't possibly get from a book". It tickles me that the last post was books for sale.

― John Pfeiffer
Aner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2021, 07:05 PM   #3
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC6SIX View Post
I have multiple handicapping books for sale that I have acquired since 1980. Some of the book titles include; Art of Handicapping (Conte), Six Secrets of Successful Bettors, Ainslie's Complete Guide to Thoroughbred Handicapping, High Tech Handicapping, The Winning Horseplayer, Secrets of Professional Turf Betting, Betting Thoroughbreds (Davidovitz), Search for the Winning Horse (Sesuli), Inside Racing, The complete Guide to Racetrack Betting, Beyer on Speed, Racehorse Handicapping, Workouts Maidens, The Literature of Thoroughbred Handicapping (1965-1982), THE NEW EXPERT HANDICAPPERS, Racing Maxims of PIttsburgh Phil, Reading the Body Language of the Trainer, Horse Racing A-Z, 1988 American Racing Manual, Racing Symposium Tapes Las Vegas-1984 and old issues of the "Racing Star Weekly" 1984-1986. I would like to sell all as a complete set or possibly individually. If interested you can send me a private message to my Paceadvantage moniker (PIC6SIX) or a message to my personal email, santa6anita@msn.com. My first name is NICK
Hi Nick, I've never heard of Reading the body language of the trainer before. Do you mind telling who was the author, and a short synopsis of the contents? Thanks.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:17 PM   #4
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
Hi Nick, I've never heard of Reading the body language of the trainer before. Do you mind telling who was the author, and a short synopsis of the contents? Thanks.
I read that book many years ago. I don't remember the author's name...but the advice was that we should monitor the trainers close enough so we could notice the changes in their wardrobe on the days when they expected to get their picture taken in the Winner's Circle.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:57 PM   #5
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I read that book many years ago. I don't remember the author's name...but the advice was that we should monitor the trainers close enough so we could notice the changes in their wardrobe on the days when they expected to get their picture taken in the Winner's Circle.
Haha, what I kind of expected. There's an infrequent PA poster who claims to have used that very method when he was a "professional" on the Ca circuit. Don't know if he really used it, but his stories were great.

Years ago, that method didn't work very well with King Leatherbury at the Md. tracks. He was always dressed to the nines in a suit and hat that Mark Twain might have worn.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:29 PM   #6
thaskalos

Quote:
Haha, what I kind of expected. There's an infrequent PA poster who claims to have used that very method when he was a "professional" on the Ca circuit. Don't know if he really used it, but his stories were great.

Years ago, that method didn't work very well with King Leatherbury at the Md. tracks. He was always dressed to the nines in a suit and hat that Mark Twain might have worn.
The method was a little more complicated than that. It warned about the trainers who were always spiffy dressers. The idea was to bet on the ones who were usually unkempt...but showed up in their "Sunday best" on selected days.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:16 PM   #7
Parkview_Pirate

Back in the 1980s I first started playing the thoroughbreds at Fairmount Park, and found it quite a bit more interesting than betting the jugheads (harness).

One night while a buddy of mine and I were standing outside watching the post parade, he suddenly said, "Come on, I'll buy us a beer." We walked back inside, but then my buddy stood some distance away from the bar, and explained he was watching one of the trainers for a trainer's "go" signal, which included having his picture taken in the winner's circle with a fresh beer in his hand. The trainer bought a beer, and headed back outside. My buddy went to place bets for us, gave me $10, and had me buy the beers.

The trainer's "fresh beer" angle came through, and the horse won, as my buddy used to say, "like a thief in the night". At 5 or 6-1 if IIRC. I thought I was on to the road to riches, if all I had to do was watch trainers. I had already learned to watch the harness drivers as they warmed up, and noted which ones studied the tote board as they drove by.

Then my buddy informed me that that trainer was the only one who used the "victory beer" angle, and he only won about 10 races per season....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2021, 10:30 PM   #8
Dave Schwartz

Quote:

There used to be a system talked about all over So Cal back in the 80s.

They said that the winner of the biggest race would have their picture on the front of the DRF.

This was just plain laughable.

That spot was for whoever had the OBVIOUS odds-on horse in one of the bigger races - and usually included an interview. (According to the system, THAT was an absolute will-win sign.)
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2021, 08:07 PM   #9
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I heard that one from a fellow named Joe Takach.

I noticed sometimes 5 of 6 of the trainer connections EACH race had their SUnday go to Meetin's finery on their backs.

You would not realize HOW OFTEN the trainer would miss the date when their charges would peak for a win. I don' know how often I heard the trainer talking on the phone from the winner's circle APOLOGIZING, saying things like "we had him cranked up, this one just "delivered" earlier than expected."
Old 05-21-2021, 08:31 PM   #10
delayjf

Quote:
would miss the date when their charges would peak for a win.
As a groom, I saw the same thing, BUT, I still find it useful to know when a trainer is sending a horse for a win, especially at long odds.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2021, 03:11 AM   #11
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
...They said that the winner of the biggest race would have their picture on the front of the DRF.
I recall in the late '80s and early 90's the exact opposite of that - where the picture of the horse or trainer on the front of the DRF for Saturday's big races was the kiss of death - a jinx. It seemed to pan out quite often.

This I believe was when the dreaded Sports Illustrated Cover jinx was happening as well.

I still hold a grudge against the editors and writers of DRF when they came out with an April Fool's edition around that same time that contained a lot of spoof stories, including the announcement of a grand indoor racetrack out in Las Vegas. I was bummed that wasn't true...
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2021, 07:55 AM   #12
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
I recall in the late '80s and early 90's the exact opposite of that - where the picture of the horse or trainer on the front of the DRF for Saturday's big races was the kiss of death - a jinx. It seemed to pan out quite often.

This I believe was when the dreaded Sports Illustrated Cover jinx was happening as well.

I still hold a grudge against the editors and writers of DRF when they came out with an April Fool's edition around that same time that contained a lot of spoof stories, including the announcement of a grand indoor racetrack out in Las Vegas. I was bummed that wasn't true...
The jinx also happened with Madden Football too
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2021, 08:31 AM   #13
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post

Exact opposite.
Perfect!

Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #14
shoelessjoe

King T one of the all time greats, what a shame what happened
to his go to rider Eric Walsh
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIC6SIX View Post
Wanted to bump up the original since this has gone astray, not really fair to the poster.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: