Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 3.80 average.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:12 AM   #6586
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quick PRN spot play

I really enjoy the "improvised" spot plays and methods in the Phillips Racing Newsletter. Some are put together by vendors--but I think most are contributed by regular horse players like you and I. I've found many plays that, with some tweaking, adding and subtracting...they ended up included in my software programs.

I'm always amazed at what people come up with--really clever stuff that wouldn't occur to me in a million years. I just play around with them and see what happens if I add this, or key that one, etc.

Here's one I was just looking at:

1-ALL ENTRANTS MUST HAVE 3 LIFETIME STARTS.

2-ELIMINATE ANY ENTRANTS 10-1 OR MORE ML.

3-FOR EACH REMAINING CONTENDER...ADD TOGETHER THE 2 BEST OF LAST 3 FINISHES (ROUND UP OR DOWN)

4-NOW ADD THE LOWEST ODDS OF ONE OF HIS LAST 3 RACES(AGAIN ROUND UP OR DOWN)

These are the simple rules...think you can do anything with this - as a starting point? I'm sure you can. As it is now, you'll get winners, but usually at lower prices, or favorites. The goal is to figure out how to improve this...better mutuels, etc. You'll also be passing many races, as they're too close to make a selection, in many cases.

Just for kicks I totaled up the 2nd race at Parx Wednesday, using the listed rules:

DIZZY SIGHT 7-2 score 5+1 = 6
TOWN JACK 5-2 score 4+3= 7
HEART OF A DREAMER 4-1 score 7+2= 9
ABDAA 8-1 score 2+1= 3

-Lowest score is tops--so the play would be a win bet on ABDAA...or key the in exacta/trifecta.

You certainly don't have to spend a lot of money, either.

https://www.phillipsracingnewsletter.com/
Old 12-09-2020, 01:32 AM   #6587
oughtoh

Sure doesn't take long to do a race. Going to have some fun watching this. Thanks
Old 12-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #6588
Harmonicaslim

Trainer Moves

Eagerly awaiting your new product, buddy!
Old 12-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #6589
sharkey11

very simple system ncgreg gary brakerfield had lot of them in prn i used some of them back in the 90s when he used to put them out in the prn
Old 12-09-2020, 12:59 PM   #6590
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey11 View Post
very simple system ncgreg gary brakerfield had lot of them in prn i used some of them back in the 90s when he used to put them out in the prn
I see Gary is still contributing spot plays. Hard to believe someone could come up with so many
Old 12-09-2020, 06:45 PM   #6591
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

MNR EXOTIC TIP SHEET

If you're playing MNR tonight--might be a little bit of help here.

Good Luck,

-NCG

remember-the lower the number, the better rating

pn=POWER #
ab=ABILITY
pp=BRIS PRIME
t/j=TRAINER/JOCKEY individual %

Last edited by NorCalGreg; 12-09-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:48 PM   #6592
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

trainer moves debuts at Los Al today

This, of course is not the entire interface of Trainer Moves--not even half. E-1, E-2, Late, and SR are now the avg of best 3 of last 4. Other changes, like a new single-number pace rating, the DD "hidden money" maneuver, and other interesting plays. Still need to get a spot play in "button 3"

5 winners in 8 races (no play in the 3rd)
Old 12-13-2020, 12:18 AM   #6593
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

dd calculator

This is a well known play--looking for "extra" money on a longshot in the 2nd half of the double. The early race in the double has already concluded--bets were made...and this will never change.

Would be nice if you could bet the daily double after the first race is run, but no, what you see is what you get.

You can see the "hidden money" plain as day, now.
RATE FOR ME is 30-1 ML, but was the 2nd choice in the DD @6.7.
SIX POINT RACK was 8-1 on the ML, and 6.2 on the DD odds line.

Who would you bet? Another use for this calculator is eliminating false favorites--ML fav LITTLE NO WAY was 20-1 on DD odds.
Should be available next week--I'll keep you posted--NCG

Last edited by NorCalGreg; 12-13-2020 at 12:22 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #6594
stuball

Thumbs up Hello

Hello Greg I have recently returned to betting after I lost my wife to Lung Cancer.. I have a few questions - quite a while back I purchased about everyone of your programs and I was really consumed with taking care of my wife 24/7. she passed in July and I now have time to get back to betting. I know at 1 time someone mentioned you may have upgraded some of your programs...if true I would like to take advantage of the upgrades - I lost my copy of the exotics program and don't know if having that would help. I have played in a few contests on Derby Wars and have done pretty good .(always trying to improve) I have been using Best5 2.8 and Pace Platinum 9.7 -- I would like to find out if any of the modules in the programs are doing the same thing. I also would be interested in trying your new program that is just coming out.. by way of improvement I would suggest an easier way to scratch horses. As I use multiple programs I have to scratch each program separately. If I shut the program down for any reason I have to do it all over again. Is there a way to save it to a file that I can reload it and not have to do scratches.
Thanks for all you do
Stuball (Don Stuczynski)
Old 12-13-2020, 09:40 AM   #6595
headhawg
crusty old guy

Sorry to hear about your wife, Don. My deepest sympathies.

As far as scratches, I wrote a program that should help with the scratch issues. I created it with NCG's software in mind, but guys like Speed Figure are using it for other programs as well. Here is the link: HDST You should probably read the entire thread, but posts #36 and #45 have the download, with 1.2 being the latest version. Best of luck!
Old 12-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #6596
OzYank

THANKS HEADHAWG - this has saved me plenty of time.... I am one of those folks that will go through my days spot play checking but may close out the program at some point and when I come back to it possibly midway through the card to check on some possibilities I have thought up or even to see what the program had for races just ran I have to re-input the scratches.

Only Issue I have is when I click the download scratch file it pops up a box stating "error downloading scratch file, check your Internet connection and firewall"

Clearly I am on the internet so that is fine,I assume it is trying to get the scratch file from equibase so I went there and downloaded it and renamed the xml filename and it works fine after that.

GREAT JOB we appreciate you !!!!!!
Old 12-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #6597
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzYank View Post
THANKS HEADHAWG - this has saved me plenty of time.... I am one of those folks that will go through my days spot play checking but may close out the program at some point and when I come back to it possibly midway through the card to check on some possibilities I have thought up or even to see what the program had for races just ran I have to re-input the scratches.

Only Issue I have is when I click the download scratch file it pops up a box stating "error downloading scratch file, check your Internet connection and firewall"

Clearly I am on the internet so that is fine,I assume it is trying to get the scratch file from equibase so I went there and downloaded it and renamed the xml filename and it works fine after that.

GREAT JOB we appreciate you !!!!!!
I just ran HDST v1.2 and it worked fine for me. My guess is that your firewall is preventing HDST from getting out to the 'Net. You will have to change the firewall setting to allow incoming/outgoing traffic for HDST.

I am happy that people are finding this useful; that was my intention when I created it. Thanks for the compliment!
Old 12-13-2020, 12:04 PM   #6598
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Heya Brian, Stu...very sorry to hear about your wife, Stu. Life can be so hard, sometimes.

Yeah you needed to upgrade your programs, anyway. It's actually been a couple years since anything was upgraded, but I think you're running the "originals".

I'll get everything to you, Stu. And don't worry about scratches if you get the new program--we can save scratches now with no problem.

I have your email address somewhere, Stu...but it's not even 9:00AM here in the west--that like BEFORE DAWN. I gotta get my coffee and pop tarts, so if you would please, shoot me your email and you'll be capping in no time.

We are all glad you're back to the ponies...next we want to hear about your wins!

Best,

-NCG
Old 12-13-2020, 02:33 PM   #6599
oughtoh

I have been using that DD play for over 40 years. You can get some good horses with it.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #6600
oughtoh

So sorry for the loss your wife, Don. My deepest sympathies.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: