Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 11-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
headhawg
crusty old guy

Question Good/Bad things about software

One of the things on my bucket list is to develop some kind of commercial software. Originally this was going to be a football or horse racing sim. I realized that the games were beyond my coding capabilities, so I have turned my attention to handicapping software. Handiman got me back into coding when I helped out with Handifast. He inspires and motivates me even more now because he is still punching out code even though his health has not been at its best.

What I am asking for in this thread is a feature or features that you liked (or hated) in software that you have used. This could be anything from what the software does (pace analysis, spot plays, etc.), to features like auto-scratch, batch processing. or PP display, to your likes/dislikes of the user interface. I have used my fair share of programs, and I have also seen other people use software that I did not personally own. Obviously, I haven't seen/used everything. So I am interested in the opinion of the PA community.

I am currently working on a upgrade to the free HHQSS program I released a while ago, and I also have two or three more ideas floating around in my brain. Your responses would go a long way in helping me choose what things to include or exclude. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
Partsnut
BetMix User

Hi Headhawg,

We haven't conversed for quite a while. This goes back to when we were both involved with "Equisim".

Your good works and willingness to share will always be appreciated and should not go unnoticed or unanswered.

In my opinion and experience with most software and over the course of the many years of trial, error, frustration and some success, I have concluded that for the most part the data that is currently available will lead most software users to come up with the same conclusions. However, there are some and very few unique applications that will allow the user to think outside the box. unfortunately, they are now obsolete or extinct and are no longer available to the public.

Although there are still some users that have some of the aforementioned obsolete software. they are hanging in there by a thread using an obsolete operating system on an obsolete computer and/or a partition software on a modern system (with limitations).

These are things that would peak my interest in a new software application.
1 - Pace Projection (race shape) and accurate par times
2 - Unique power numbers that project a betting or value line.
3 - An indication of possible spot and/or angle plays and/or a longshot module.
4 - Use of BRIS data files.

I hope this may be of some help.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
hyipro

USING AI TO HANDICAP

There was an article I read the other day about hospital stays, which I am sure many of you have experience with, the biggest gripe or complaint among
patients was being awakened at all hours for routine type tests or checking,so
the hospital (Northwell) developed a system using AI and analysis of over
2.5 million data points as to when a patient should be left alone or checked,
it has now freed nursing staff to concentrate on more serious cases, my point
is, why cannot AI type programs be used to analyze the massive amounts of
data, historical and race day and present better selection analysis, instead of
those in use now ???
hyipro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
Partsnut
BetMix User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyipro View Post
There was an article I read the other day about hospital stays, which I am sure many of you have experience with, the biggest gripe or complaint among
those in use now ???
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

There are such applications available. HTR and Betmix.
HTR is a free, versatile and excellent quality software but in my opinion, the data needed for this software comes at a premium price and is not affordable to many.

BetMix is an affordable good quality application that in my opinion and as a current user, I will admit with great displeasure, that there are certain areas where the application falls short and requests I and others have suggested for new features have been ignored and bypassed. The reason being Betmix has been acquired by the Stronach Group and their corporate focus and programming agenda is directed towards 1ST/Bet (Xpress Bet). This once progressive software is becoming a casualty and is regressing. In my opinion and my personal viewpoint is that this is due to
poor corporate direction and priorities that will push users away from as opposed to keeping their user base intact.

Last edited by Partsnut; 12-01-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-01-2020, 05:49 PM   #5
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyipro View Post
those in use now ???
They can.

In fact, I am working on just such a program now.

While the primary design is for a whale group - with cost to match - there is a far more affordable version coming.

Still a few hundred hours to go on this project.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2020, 12:22 AM   #6
crestridge
Paladin & Fudge

Dave

This new A.I. program isn't Darwinian, I hope.
crestridge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #7
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsnut View Post
Your good works and willingness to share will always be appreciated and should not go unnoticed or unanswered.
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsnut View Post
These are things that would peak my interest in a new software application.
1 - Pace Projection (race shape) and accurate par times
2 - Unique power numbers that project a betting or value line.
3 - An indication of possible spot and/or angle plays and/or a longshot module.
4 - Use of BRIS data files.

I hope this may be of some help.
It is helpful, thanks. I was hoping for more responses but I have learned not to expect much. In fact, the lack of relevant replies has actually told me alot.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #8
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Thank you.
It is helpful, thanks. I was hoping for more responses but I have learned not to expect much. In fact, the lack of relevant replies has actually told me alot.
I think you’ll get more responses when you have something available then just asking up front. Too many times we’ve seen postings about tell what you guys want to see in a program only to never see it come out! Your scratch tool is AWESOME!

Last edited by Speed Figure; 12-03-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2020, 09:52 PM   #9
jim michalak

Wink things i would like to see in a software program

headhawg: i would like to see something fairly basic but not currently on any of the numerous software programs i own. that would be things such as sortable columns for each horse in the race for such items as wins and in the money for current race distance, surface, off track, current year, last year, lifetime, and $ won. i know these are basic but if they were in sortable columns for each horse it would save me a lot of time. also, the ability to select running line(s) from each horse and compare the total of all the running lines in 1 table. it would be similar to what you can do with the 2m2p software but with bris figures instead of the equibase figures that 2m2p uses. thanks for taking the time to consider my thoughts on the matter.
jim michalak is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #10
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
I think you’ll get more responses when you have something available then just asking up front. Too many times we’ve seen postings about tell what you guys want to see in a program only to never see it come out! Your scratch tool is AWESOME!
I don't disagree with you about products promised but never delivered. I probably wasn't as clear as I needed to be in the OP. When JR asked about an Equisim cd it led to a post about how nicely the PPs were presented in that program. That was what prompted me to start this thread. I was looking for features that users either liked or disliked in programs that they already have experience with. Some of that feedback will cut down on my development time. But you are also right in that that I may just release a program when it's finished, just so I can scratch something off my bucket list.

It makes me happy to hear that the scratch program is useful. There was a commercial scratch program released several years ago but personally I thought it was too expensive for what it did. Mine isn't fancy, but it gets the job done.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #11
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim michalak View Post
headhawg: i would like to see something fairly basic but not currently on any of the numerous software programs i own. that would be things such as sortable columns for each horse in the race for such items as wins and in the money for current race distance, surface, off track, current year, last year, lifetime, and $ won. i know these are basic but if they were in sortable columns for each horse it would save me a lot of time. also, the ability to select running line(s) from each horse and compare the total of all the running lines in 1 table. it would be similar to what you can do with the 2m2p software but with bris figures instead of the equibase figures that 2m2p uses. thanks for taking the time to consider my thoughts on the matter.
Thanks for the suggestions. Sorting is a definite, and I really like the idea of a paceline comparison table. I am not familiar with 2m2p, so that feature is something that I may not have thought of on my own. I am still working out my development roadmap. I may just do what Speed Figure mentioned and just release something and incorporate changes and additions after. My plan is to release multiple programs instead of one big do-everything program, but I am making no promises or giving a release date or anything. And I am definitely not revealing my super-secret formulas!
Old 12-04-2020, 10:18 AM   #12
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestridge View Post
This new A.I. program isn't Darwinian, I hope.
No. It is more like Intelligent Design.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #13
stuball

Talking ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
No. It is more like Intelligent Design.
I don't know what either of those things mean? technically speaking...LOL
I have been using a combination of paceview and timeform us to the point of not losing my A$$ while still enjoying the game
I have just recently ventured in to contest wagering at Derby Wars kinda fun
so far I have a 2nd --out of the money & a win in three contests

Trump2020

Last edited by stuball; 12-07-2020 at 08:55 AM.
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: