Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-26-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
JustRalph
Just another Facist

California is run by idiots

https://hotair.com/archives/john-s-2...133-death-row/

Inmates get unemployment. Including death row types.

“ In most cases, task force members said, the payments were sent in the form of prepaid debit cards to addresses designated on the applications, with the proceeds later deposited to inmate accounts in jail and prisons, but in some, the benefits were sent directly to the institutions.

Among the named beneficiaries: Cary Stayner, a serial killer who murdered four women near Yosemite National Park in 1999; Wayne Ford, another serial killer, who confessed to at least four murders in 1997 and 1998 in Northern California; Scott Peterson, convicted in 2004 of the murder of his pregnant wife, Laci; and Isauro Aguirre, who, with his girlfriend, tortured and murdered her 8-year-old son, Gabriel Fernandez, in 2013 in Palmdale, Calif…

The 35,000-plus payments sent out in the name of state prisoners alone…totaled more than $140 million between March and August, with nearly a half-million dollars disbursed in the names of 133 death row inmates. Among the largest: a claim for $19,676 disbursed in the name of a death row inmate and another for $48,600 in the name of another felon.”

Last edited by JustRalph; 11-26-2020 at 01:35 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
mrhorseplayer

Do you know the story on the Stayners? Cary Stayner had a brother that was kidnapped they did one of those like after school specials or some movie about him , it was horible what happened to him then later in life his brother Cary did those killings. That movie special was "I think my name is Steven?
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
railbird

I thought you had to report to unemployment office once a week and also benefits only lasted 6 months.

these cons got it good today . (barring death row)
Old 11-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
headhawg
crusty old guy

Let's just go ahead and incentivize criminal behavior. No punishment, just some dough, like a rebate based on the level of crime. Let the states provide them with drugs, hookers, giant OLED TVs, free subscriptions to Netflix...the works! Let the decent citizens of the USA pay for it, all the while being afraid to leave their houses because the inmates are now running the asylum.

And it's only going to get worse. Has California burned to the ground yet? I'll miss the wine, but nothing else.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #5
Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
https://hotair.com/archives/john-s-2...133-death-row/

Inmates get unemployment. Including death row types.

“ In most cases, task force members said, the payments were sent in the form of prepaid debit cards to addresses designated on the applications, with the proceeds later deposited to inmate accounts in jail and prisons, but in some, the benefits were sent directly to the institutions.

Among the named beneficiaries: Cary Stayner, a serial killer who murdered four women near Yosemite National Park in 1999; Wayne Ford, another serial killer, who confessed to at least four murders in 1997 and 1998 in Northern California; Scott Peterson, convicted in 2004 of the murder of his pregnant wife, Laci; and Isauro Aguirre, who, with his girlfriend, tortured and murdered her 8-year-old son, Gabriel Fernandez, in 2013 in Palmdale, Calif…

The 35,000-plus payments sent out in the name of state prisoners alone…totaled more than $140 million between March and August, with nearly a half-million dollars disbursed in the names of 133 death row inmates. Among the largest: a claim for $19,676 disbursed in the name of a death row inmate and another for $48,600 in the name of another felon.”
Some inmate even put the name "Poopie Britches" on his application and still got paid.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #6
davew

they got beat by the unemployment people in Washington that sent out fraudulent $750+ million with much ending up in Africa
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
46zilzal
velocitician

More of the same bias crap I heard ll my life when I lived there
Old 11-27-2020, 05:09 PM   #8
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Los Angeles Times
By Anita Chabria, Patrick McGreevy, Richard Winton | Nov. 24, 2020 11 AM UPDATED 4:36 PM
Scams led California to send COVID jobless benefits to Scott Peterson, death row inmates:
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...th-row-inmates

Quote:
SACRAMENTO — San Quentin inmate Scott Peterson, convicted of killing his wife and unborn son, was sent California unemployment benefits in recent months, according to a group of state and federal prosecutors who have been investigating fraud in the pandemic relief system administered by the state Employment Development Department.

So was convicted serial killer Cary Stayner, who in 1999 murdered two women and two girls near Yosemite and now is jailed, near Peterson, on death row.

Also allegedly approved for an unemployment debit card: Isauro Aguirre, sentenced to death in 2018 for the torture and death of 8-year-old Gabriel Fernandez.

Nine district attorneys across California and a federal prosecutor on Tuesday made these allegations and called for Gov. Gavin Newsom to intervene to stop such unemployment swindling in California jails and prisons — which may involve tens of thousands of questionable claims totaling hundreds of millions of dollars — though they said they were uncertain if the high-profile claimants were victims of a scam or participants.

Pat Harris, Peterson’s attorney, said he was “absolutely certain Scott was not involved, and any investigation will clear him.”

The district attorneys called the situation “the most significant fraud on taxpayer funds in California history,” according to a letter obtained by The Times, describing crimes that involve identity theft of prisoners as well as alleged conspiracies by individual inmates and organized gangs to game the state system.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 11-27-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-27-2020, 10:33 PM   #9
jimmyb

Democratic state legislators have introduced a new Assembly bill that would raise the state income tax on California’s highest earners from the current rate of 13.3 percent to 16.8 percent. This would mean that, after factoring in federal income taxes, California millionaires would face a top tax rate of 53.8 percent. The proposal would even apply this tax retroactively, applying the levies to income dating back to January 2020.

Meanwhile, progressive state legislators have introduced a wealth tax that would fall on Californians with a net worth of $30 million or more.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #10
delayjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Democratic state legislators have introduced a new Assembly bill that would raise the state income tax on California’s highest earners from the current rate of 13.3 percent to 16.8 percent. This would mean that, after factoring in federal income taxes, California millionaires would face a top tax rate of 53.8 percent. The proposal would even apply this tax retroactively, applying the levies to income dating back to January 2020.

Meanwhile, progressive state legislators have introduced a wealth tax that would fall on Californians with a net worth of $30 million or more.
More examples of the lefts "superior intellect" I actually support this, not that I'm for higher taxes, its that I feel CA must collapse before it gets better and this will speed that process. I'm still wondering why CA hasn't repealed Prop 13 (home assessment tax)
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #11
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf View Post
More examples of the lefts "superior intellect" I actually support this, not that I'm for higher taxes, its that I feel CA must collapse before it gets better and this will speed that process. I'm still wondering why CA hasn't repealed Prop 13 (home assessment tax)
My understanding is that since it was a mandate by popular vote it has to be repealed via the same method.

(I could be wrong.)

Also, the last time I saw a number for it, there were 73 other such mandates.

If this is true - that mandated by vote means vote required to repeal - then California becomes a model for why LAWS BY REPUBLIC works and LAWS BY POPULAR VOTE does not.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #12
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
My understanding is that since it was a mandate by popular vote it has to be repealed via the same method.

(I could be wrong.)

Also, the last time I saw a number for it, there were 73 other such mandates.

If this is true - that mandated by vote means vote required to repeal - then California becomes a model for why LAWS BY REPUBLIC works and LAWS BY POPULAR VOTE does not.
Cali just tried to carve out commercial properties (Prop 15) from the protections of Prop 13 - the initiative lost 52/48.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #13
delayjf

I'm also surprised that CA has not resorted to taxing services
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2020, 02:40 PM   #14
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
Cali just tried to carve out commercial properties (Prop 15) from the protections of Prop 13 - the initiative lost 52/48.
Well, I must be wrong then.

If they can even try to do it then it must not be against the state's constitution.

Otherwise, they'd know it would be overturned on appeal to their supremes.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #15
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Well, I must be wrong then.

If they can even try to do it then it must not be against the state's constitution.

Otherwise, they'd know it would be overturned on appeal to their supremes.
The bar for prop 13 is set high. It requires a 2/3rds vote in both houses.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: