Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 08-01-2020, 11:43 PM   #1
Actor
Librocubicularist

LibreOffice

I am presently using two computers, one connected to the internet and one not connected to the internet. The idea is limit exposure to viruses and hacking. If an application does not require connection to the internet then I have that application on my non-internet computer.

I have LibreOffice on my non-internet computer. LibreOffice is a workalike similar to Microsoft Office. I downloaded LibreOffice onto my internet computer, scanned it for viruses, copied it to a pin drive, then transferred it to my non-internet computer.

This worked well until a few months ago. Then I started getting a message when I tried to access LibreOffice stating that I do not have the required permission. Looking farther into it it seems that what I do not have permission for is access to some folder, I do not know which folder.

It's as though the computer has a virus but I don't see how that's possible.

I have considered getting Microsoft Office but, in addition to being expensive (LibreOffice is free), I understand that MS Office requires a constant internet connection, which I am trying to avoid.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:04 AM   #2
tupper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I am presently using two computers, one connected to the internet and one not connected to the internet.
Seems like a difficult way to compute.

Quote:
This worked well until a few months ago. Then I started getting a message when I tried to access LibreOffice stating that I do not have the required permission. Looking farther into it it seems that what I do not have permission for is access to some folder, I do not know which folder.
Sounds like a simple permissions problem, which has nothing to do with LibreOffice.

Did you (or did a program) create the folder as an "administrator," and do you usually log-in as a normal user? If so, you won't be able to access the folder as a normal user until you change the folder's permissions. Also, did you transfer the folder in question from your other computer? If so, it might have retained the permissions from that other computer.

It sounds like you use Windows. I don't, so I can't say what steps to take, but in most OS's it is simple to change permissions. Here is a video that seems helpful in that regard:
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2020, 06:08 AM   #3
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupper View Post
Did you (or did a program) create the folder as an "administrator," ...
I don't know.

Quote:
... and do you usually log-in as a normal user?
I don't log on at all. I just turn it on and it starts.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #4
tupper

More details could help solve your problem.

However, it's likely that this is a typical permissions problem, and all you need to do is to fix your folder's permissions as shown in the video that I linked.

What probably happened is that you somehow became the administrator/root or another normal user (such as "guest"), and you created that folder then.

Another possibility is that you changed or updated your OS and your login (automatic) is a different user than before.

Regardless, follow the video that I linked or follow any other permissions tutorial for Windows and you should be able to fix the problem easily.

In the future, be mindful of how you are logged-in (administrator, your default user, guest, etc.). As I understand, there is user information in the "User" tab in Windows "Task Manager." Here are more ways to tell which user you are in Windows 10: https://www.technipages.com/windows-...o-is-logged-in

Last edited by tupper; 08-02-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:56 PM   #5
tupper

Quote:

Quote:
... and do you usually log-in as a normal user?
I don't log on at all. I just turn it on and it starts.
I didn't make it clear, but as long as you are using your programs, you are logged-in as some user -- even if you don't know it.

So, find out who is the default user (the one that logs-in automatically, and that you use without your knowledge), and occasionally check to make sure that is who you are.

If your default user is the "administrator," it would be wise and safer to change that and become a normal user. It might require copying folders into the new user space and/or changing permissions, but that can usually be done with a few mouse clicks.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #6
Red Knave
dGnr8

You've probably done this by now but on your connected computer, Google the error you get from Libre then let us know.
Tupper has it right and the more you can tell us the better answers we can give.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2020, 12:07 AM   #7
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave View Post
You've probably done this by now but on your connected computer, Google the error you get from Libre then let us know.
Tupper has it right and the more you can tell us the better answers we can give.
  1. I turn the computer on. It boots up to the desktop.
  2. I double click the icon labeled "LibreOffice 6.3"
  3. A window appears.
    1. In the upper left corner it says "Explorer.EXE'
    2. In the upper right corner there is an X as in all windows.
    3. On the left side of the window there is a large X in a red circle. Immediately to the right of this is a message "The item referred to by this short cut cannot be accessed. You may not have the appropriate permissions."
    4. In the lower right there is a button labeled "OK"
    5. Clicking on the upper right X or on the lower right OK button exits the window.
  4. Going into a command prompt screen and typing "whoami" I get "labtop-jptfe6so\owner"
That's all I have time for right now. Tomorrow I will try to post what happens when I try to change permissions.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:17 AM   #8
tupper

Quote:
Immediately to the right of this is a message "The item referred to by this short cut cannot be accessed. You may not have the appropriate permissions."
Quite a few results appear when this error message is web searched. From a quick scan of the listings, your problem is related to permissions or the the LibreOffice program was moved or deleted, or the shortcut points to a LibreOffice document that was moved or deleted.

I would guess that "labtop-jptfe6so\owner" is a user with normal permissions, but it could be an administrator. I think that the default Windows name for the administrator is "Admin" or "Administrator."

You mentioned not having access to a folder. It might help to elaborate on that.

At any rate, the first step to solve this problem would be to try to start LibreOffice through means other than that shortcut, such as using the taskbar search to find and start LibreOffice. If you can't find LibreOffice, then it may have been deleted.

If you can start LibreOffice as user "labtop-jptfe6so\owner," simply create a new shortcut (as reported in this thread), and delete the shortcut that doesn't work.

Someone else who got the same error message, started the program from the folder "Local Disk>Program Files" He then got the same error message, but evidently the dialog box offered a "Continue" button, which gave his user access to that folder.

Another person who received your error message recommended right-clicking on the problematic shortcut, choose "Properties," switch to "Security" tab, and make sure you have the proper permissions.

Whatever you do, don't reformat and you very likely don't need to do anything else drastic, such as a "system restore."
Old 08-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #9
Red Knave
dGnr8

If you right-click on the Libre Office icon on the desktop and select Properties, what are the Target and Start in paths to the program. They should start with Program Files\Libre Office\ or something similar.
A simple thing to try, assuming that this is strictly a single user computer, would be to set the shortcut to 'Run as administrator'. From the same window you just opened, click the Advanced button and turn on the checkbox. You can always set it back if that doesn't help.
A lot of the links found from googling made reference to anti-virus programs. Have you changed yours lately?

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Old 08-06-2020, 07:00 PM   #10
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
If you right-click on the Libre Office icon on the desktop and select Properties, what are the Target and Start in paths to the program.
Target: C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\soffice.exe

Start : C:\Program Files\LibreOffice

Quote:
... set the shortcut to 'Run as administrator'. From the same window you just opened, click the Advanced button and turn on the checkbox. You can always set it back if that doesn't help.
Doesn't help.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:35 PM   #11
tupper

Quote:
Target: C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\soffice.exe
Start : C:\Program Files\LibreOffice
Doesn't help.
All of the prompt and helpful information that you have provided has helped us quickly narrow down the problem to these few questions:

1. After you clicked the "Advanced" checkbox, did you get an error message when you tried to open the program again?

2. If you got an error message, as per question #1 above, was it the same one that appeared before or was it different?

3. If you got an error message as per question #2 above that was different than the error message you received before, what did the error message say and what options did it give?

4. Did you try to change the permissions as you stated you would do in post #7 of this thread?

5. If you tried to change the permissions as you stated you would do in post #7 of this thread, did you get an error message when you tried to do so?

6. If you tried to change the permissions as you stated you would do in post #7 of this thread, and if you got an error message when you tried to do so, what did the error message say and what options did it give?

7. Did you try to start LibreOffice through means other than your LIbreOffice shortcut, such as using the taskbar search to find and start LibreOffice as mentioned in post #8 of this thread?

8. If you tried to start LibreOffice through means other than your LIbreOffice shortcut, such as using the taskbar search to find and start LibreOffice as mentioned in post #8 of this thread, did it open LibreOffice or did you get an error message?

9. If you tried to start LibreOffice through means other than your LIbreOffice shortcut, such as using the taskbar search to find and start LibreOffice, as mentioned in post #8 of this thread, and if you got an error message, what did the error message say and what options did it give?

10. If you were able to start LibreOffice through means other than your LIbreOffice shortcut, did you make a new shortcut as mentioned in post #8 of this thread?

11. If you were able to start LibreOffice through means other than your LIbreOffice shortcut and if you made a new shortcut as mentioned in post #8 of this thread, did you get an error message when you clicked on the new shortcut?

12. If you were able to start LibreOffice through means other than your LIbreOffice shortcut and if you made a new shortcut as mentioned in post #8 and if you got an error message when you clicked on the new shortcut, what did the error message say and what options did it give?

13. Were you able to start LibreOffice through "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice" as suggested in post #8 of this thread?

14. If you tried to start LibreOffice through "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice" as suggested in post #8 of this thread and if you got an error message, what did the error message say and what options did it give?

15. If you tried to start LibreOffice through "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice" as suggested in post #8 of this thread and if you got an error message gave the option of "Continue," did you click on the "Continue" button?

16. If you tried to start LibreOffice through "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice" as suggested in post #8 of this thread and if you clicked on the "Continue" button, did you get an error message?

17. If you tried to start LibreOffice through "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice" as suggested in post #8 of this thread and if you clicked on the "Continue" button and if then you got an error message, what did the error message say and what options did it give?

It's a refreshing pleasure to help those who are so forthcoming with information (as opposed to the more obstinate posters)!
Old 08-08-2020, 02:15 AM   #12
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
1. After you clicked the "Advanced" checkbox, did you get an error message when you tried to open the program again?

2. If you got an error message, as per question #1 above, was it the same one that appeared before or was it different?

3. If you got an error message as per question #2 above that was different than the error message you received before, what did the error message say and what options did it give?
Yes, I got the same message as before.

Quote:
4. Did you try to change the permissions as you stated you would do in post #7 of this thread?

5. If you tried to change the permissions as you stated you would do in post #7 of this thread, did you get an error message when you tried to do so?

6. If you tried to change the permissions as you stated you would do in post #7 of this thread, and if you got an error message when you tried to do so, what did the error message say and what options did it give?
I have found the video link to be of no help at all. It starts with a screen which seems to be several layers deep. I have no idea how the guy got there. Then there's a statement at about 1:30 which advises not to make the changes permanent. Somewhere he points out that doing something or other has no effect.

Quote:
7. Did you try to start LibreOffice through means other than your LIbreOffice shortcut, such as using the taskbar search to find and start LibreOffice as mentioned in post #8 of this thread?

8. If you tried to start LibreOffice through means other than your LIbreOffice shortcut, such as using the taskbar search to find and start LibreOffice as mentioned in post #8 of this thread, did it open LibreOffice or did you get an error message?

9. If you tried to start LibreOffice through means other than your LIbreOffice shortcut, such as using the taskbar search to find and start LibreOffice, as mentioned in post #8 of this thread, and if you got an error message, what did the error message say and what options did it give?
I have no idea what the taskbar is.

Quote:
10. If you were able to start LibreOffice through means other than your LIbreOffice shortcut, did you make a new shortcut as mentioned in post #8 of this thread?

11. If you were able to start LibreOffice through means other than your LIbreOffice shortcut and if you made a new shortcut as mentioned in post #8 of this thread, did you get an error message when you clicked on the new shortcut?

12. If you were able to start LibreOffice through means other than your LIbreOffice shortcut and if you made a new shortcut as mentioned in post #8 and if you got an error message when you clicked on the new shortcut, what did the error message say and what options did it give?

13. Were you able to start LibreOffice through "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice" as suggested in post #8 of this thread?

14. If you tried to start LibreOffice through "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice" as suggested in post #8 of this thread and if you got an error message, what did the error message say and what options did it give?

15. If you tried to start LibreOffice through "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice" as suggested in post #8 of this thread and if you got an error message gave the option of "Continue," did you click on the "Continue" button?

16. If you tried to start LibreOffice through "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice" as suggested in post #8 of this thread and if you clicked on the "Continue" button, did you get an error message?

17. If you tried to start LibreOffice through "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice" as suggested in post #8 of this thread and if you clicked on the "Continue" button and if then you got an error message, what did the error message say and what options did it give?

It's a refreshing pleasure to help those who are so forthcoming with information (as opposed to the more obstinate posters)!
I am unable to start LibreOffice at all. At least not on this machine.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:23 AM   #13
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
You mentioned not having access to a folder. It might help to elaborate on that.
I got that from my son-in-law who is a geek and works on computers for a living. They live in Virginia. We live in Ohio. Both my daughter and my wife told me not to bother him with my computer problems and to let them enjoy their visit. He spent a little time trying to fix the problem but could not. He seemed certain that it was caused by not being able to access a folder. That's all I know.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:52 AM   #14
tupper

Quote:
Yes, I got the same message as before.

I have found the video link to be of no help at all. It starts with a screen which seems to be several layers deep. I have no idea how the guy got there. Then there's a statement at about 1:30 which advises not to make the changes permanent. Somewhere he points out that doing something or other has no effect.

I have no idea what the taskbar is.

I am unable to start LibreOffice at all. At least not on this machine.
Do you know which operating system you are using?

If so, please let us know what it is.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #15
Red Knave
dGnr8

There are a few more things to look at here --> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/...ssues_(Windows)