Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 08-15-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
jk3521
Registered Loser

No more Windows P.C. for me !

I've had it ! Six months ago after downloading the latest Windows update, one of my laptops had a problem that caused the touchpad to stop working. Others had the same problem and got on Microsoft's back about it. We got some glib comments,inferring that we were nuts. After a while they came up with some answers to the problem,none of which worked on my machine. So I have a cursor that flops around on the left hand side of the screen , making it unusable.
The latest update on another machine gave me a different type of problem. The machine shuts itself off no reason. I thought the cooling fan had died causing the computer to overheat. No, that wasn't it. I searched online and found an answer (not from Microsoft). I had to change a few settings and it seems to be okay now. When you install updates the damned settings are changed . I could see if the settings changed back to default settings! But, no! I can't wait until my laptop crashes for good so I can finally say good riddance to bad rubbish !
I hate Apple, so It's Chromebook for me!

Last edited by jk3521; 08-15-2019 at 08:32 PM.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Ipad
Old 08-15-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
Parkview_Pirate

Try Linux. It took a while, but many of the popular distributions are easy to install and maintain, and the open source community is well organized so the updates are timely. I've been running Linux Mint, Ubuntu, or Suse on my desktop for over a dozen years, and only have one application now that requires Windows (Dragon).

There is a learning curve if you've only used PCs which come with an installed o/s, but it's time well spent. I have found Windows 10 to be miserable and very intrusive - I don't like using it at work, and at home I only run it as a virtual machine and on my dual bootable laptop for Dragon.

Here's a link with more info:

https://distrowatch.com/
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2019, 12:53 AM   #4
jay68802

So you know, chromebooks are nice. But no apps for windows can be run on them. I was able to install Linux on it and am able to run those apps on it now. There is a learning curve for Linux so be prepared if you go in that direction.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2019, 05:47 AM   #5
jk3521
Registered Loser

I really don't use Windows based programs much anymore and since I use Google Chrome as web browser, might as well go all the way. Thanks for the suggestions,though.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:32 AM   #6
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521 View Post
I really don't use Windows based programs much anymore and since I use Google Chrome as web browser, might as well go all the way. Thanks for the suggestions,though.
I understand that some future Chromebooks may be able to run Windows programs, much like Apple computers do.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
headhawg
crusty old guy

You are not the only one with update problems, jk. If I didn't rely on Windows-only programs I would switch as well. Another thanks to the PA member who directed me to the AskWoody site. It is an invaluable resource for Windows users.

Last edited by headhawg; 08-16-2019 at 09:47 AM. Reason: added info
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Ask Woody, huh?
I'll give it a look.

I have only 1 question for MS......WHY??????
Old 08-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #9
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
I've had it ! After downloading the latest Windows update, one of my laptops had a problem that caused the touchpad to stop working. So I have a cursor that flops around on the left hand side of the screen , making it unusable. I hate Apple, so It's Chromebook for me!
I was a little apprehensive about switching to Linux as OS. I didn't want to put out any money right now for a Chromebook. So what did I do? I turned my "dead mouse" Windows 10 computer into a Chromebook (sorta). It's called CloudReady OS. I also turned an old notepad running XP into the same thing . Kinda neat.

Download from Neverware.com

https://www.neverware.com/#intro
Old 08-29-2019, 05:13 PM   #10
tupper

Quote:
I was a little apprehensive about switching to Linux as OS. I didn't want to put out any money right now for a Chromebook. So what did I do? I turned my "dead mouse" Windows 10 computer into a Chromebook (sorta). It's called CloudReady OS. I also turned an old notepad running XP into the same thing . Kinda neat.

Download from Neverware.com

https://www.neverware.com/#intro
You might not realize it, but you actually installed Linux onto your computers. However, you've installed what is possibly a privacy intrusive, less secure Linux derivative, that can cost money.

On the neverware.com site it says that "CloudReady OS" is "based on Google’s Chromium OS." Chromium OS is the version of Linux on which Chrome OS is based. Chromium OS is open source and Chrome OS is proprietary.

Chrome OS is installed on most Chromebooks.

Both Chromium OS and Chrome OS rely heavily on Google online services, with potential privacy/security issues. Both Chromium OS and Chrome OS have relatively pathetic "app stores" compared to the extensive package repositories of the mainstream Linux distros.

It is admirable that you have taken the crucial step to leave behind Microsoft, but you would likely be better off and happier by just installing one of the major distros such as Linux Mint or MX Linux.

The installation process of either of these proper Linux distros is probably just as easy (if not easier) than installing "CloudReady OS," and you would enjoy a much larger and more robust software repository. Also, you would not rely on cloud services nor would you have any of the privacy intrusions nor security risks inherent with such services.

In addition, with a regular Linux distro, you get its full power and robustness without ever paying a cent. On the other hand, "CloudReady OS" seems to have a "tiered" subscription business model.

If you are concerned that a regular Linux distro would be more difficult to learn than "CloudReady OS," you easily can test almost any Linux distro merely by booting it "live" from a CD/DVD/USB.

Booting a live version of one of the mainstream Linux distros is safe and will not affect your computer's installed OS. It is an easy process to make live CDs/DVDs/USBs, and there are plenty of tutorials for doing so on the web.

There are also plenty of YouTube videos showing folks navigating through various Linux distros. Please be assured that using any of the major Linux desktops is just as easy (if not easier) than using Windows or Mac.
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2019, 06:15 PM   #11
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupper View Post
You might not realize it, but you actually installed Linux onto your computers. However, you've installed what is possibly a privacy intrusive, less secure Linux derivative, that can cost money.

On the neverware.com site it says that "CloudReady OS" is "based on Google’s Chromium OS." Chromium OS is the version of Linux on which Chrome OS is based. Chromium OS is open source and Chrome OS is proprietary.

Chrome OS is installed on most Chromebooks.

Both Chromium OS and Chrome OS rely heavily on Google online services, with potential privacy/security issues. Both Chromium OS and Chrome OS have relatively pathetic "app stores" compared to the extensive package repositories of the mainstream Linux distros.

It is admirable that you have taken the crucial step to leave behind Microsoft, but you would likely be better off and happier by just installing one of the major distros such as Linux Mint or MX Linux.

The installation process of either of these proper Linux distros is probably just as easy (if not easier) than installing "CloudReady OS," and you would enjoy a much larger and more robust software repository. Also, you would not rely on cloud services nor would you have any of the privacy intrusions nor security risks inherent with such services.

In addition, with a regular Linux distro, you get its full power and robustness without ever paying a cent. On the other hand, "CloudReady OS" seems to have a "tiered" subscription business model.

If you are concerned that a regular Linux distro would be more difficult to learn than "CloudReady OS," you easily can test almost any Linux distro merely by booting it "live" from a CD/DVD/USB.

Booting a live version of one of the mainstream Linux distros is safe and will not affect your computer's installed OS. It is an easy process to make live CDs/DVDs/USBs, and there are plenty of tutorials for doing so on the web.

There are also plenty of YouTube videos showing folks navigating through various Linux distros. Please be assured that using any of the major Linux desktops is just as easy (if not easier) than using Windows or Mac.
Thank you for your suggestions . I will download Linux and boot it from usb flash drive and give it a road test. How large a flash drive do I need? Never mind, I'll Google it . Thanks.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:29 PM   #12
tupper

Most of the active Linux distros are listed at https://distrowatch.com/

To the right of the page, you'll find a popularity ranking of distros.

Again, you might try Mint Linux or possibly MX Linux, but there are numerous other distros.

Former Windows users usually have few problems with Mint, but I might be too resource hungry for your older machine (there are plenty of light weight Linux distros that work well on older computers).
Old 09-05-2019, 12:21 AM   #13
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupper View Post
Most of the active Linux distros are listed at https://distrowatch.com/

To the right of the page, you'll find a popularity ranking of distros.

Again, you might try Mint Linux or possibly MX Linux, but there are numerous other distros.

Former Windows users usually have few problems with Mint, but I might be too resource hungry for your older machine (there are plenty of light weight Linux distros that work well on older computers).
I have a real nice laptop with Windows & Peppermint (dual boot) and I blew away the WI FI in Windows driver.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2019, 12:09 AM   #14
tupper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
I have a real nice laptop with Windows & Peppermint (dual boot) and I blew away the WI FI in Windows driver.
Do you mean that your dual boot setup somehow affected your wifi driver for Windows?

Not sure how that would happen.

By the way, Peppermint is a cloud based distro, so it is significantly different than Linux Mint.

At any rate, please give more details.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #15
jk3521
Registered Loser

Goddamn Microsoft !!

They're at it again!
Latest update preventing users from using the internet.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#623896c11e0d

Last edited by jk3521; 09-18-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: