Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #31
andicap

Yup, a huge influence on my progression as a handicapper and a great writer. Never had the pleasure of meeting him but the sport is much more poorer for his passing.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #32
Track Phantom

He was the Minneapolis Tribune columnist when my home track, Canterbury Downs, started in 1985. I read his two books, Betting Thoroughbreds and Horse Racing Primer and followed his daily columns and selections. He really was a ghost mentor for me back in the early stages of my indoctrination into the game.

In 2014, I was in Las Vegas with family during the Kentucky Derby week. I went to his seminar at the Wynn and ended up grabbing dinner with him and reminisced about the timeframe he was in Minnesota that overlapped mine. Over the next few years, he and I collaborated on some things (we did joint seminars at some race books for Derby/BC, I contributed some information for his recent book, Cashing Big on Racing's Biggest Days of which he surprisingly devoted one of the chapters to me, radio etc.).

Many people felt he was abrasive and dislikable. I could understand why people would view him that way as he was very direct. I felt he was just straightforward. I never heard him say anything bad about anybody. He was a good guy but an acquired taste.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:29 AM   #33
Sea Biscuit

One thing I remember about Steve was that he was good at picking key races.

RIP
Sea Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #34
Harmonicaslim

Fellow Marylander’s my age may recall his radio show on WCBM in the mid 70s. He gave out prime bets each day and several of them were bombs. I went to Bowie to bet one and it paid $48.60. When my princely $2 across the board turned into nearly a hundred, I figured this guy knew what he was doing. Was a fan of his ever since.
Hate to think of him being gone.
Harmonicaslim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2019, 10:58 PM   #35
Waquoit

My buddies and I entered the 2-day Bradley Teletheater contest years ago and I was pleasantly surprised to see Steve sitting in the row ahead of us. Although we had rooms down the street, I just had to drive home early the next morning to get my copy of Betting Thoroughbreds. While he was signing, I told him that it was probably my favorite book. "Mine, too", said Steve.
Waquoit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2019, 02:27 AM   #36
12/ALL/ALL

So sad to hear of Steve's passing. It was great to read this entire well deserved tribute thread. Davidowitz, Ainslie, and Beyer are legendary names. Now only Andy is still with us.
12/ALL/ALL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2019, 10:22 PM   #37
Valuist

RIP. Betting Thoroughbreds is a must read for any handicapper.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #38
maidenbreaker

Sorry to hear about his passing. that was a gem of a book he wrote. I wish i had had the opportunity to meet him.
maidenbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: