Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-14-2022, 08:52 PM   #1
westernmassbob

NYRA jockey standings @ Toga Any surprises with 3 weeks left ?

I know a lot of this has to do with # of mounts and quality of horses but.....

Trevor McCarthy : 3 wins in 90 starts ? That’s not the Trevor I know and love.

Dylan Davis : 8 wins 122 starts ? He’s good , I’m sure it’s frustrating for him to be #11 in jockey standings at the moment.

Jose Ortiz : 16 wins 134 starts and most of those wins came in the first week of the meet. Jose went ice cold after that. No I don’t blame the whole agent thing. Something is/was definitely off for a bit. Hopefully we see him in the winners circle these last few weeks.

And finally not a surprise :

Joel Rosario : 28 wins 130 starts. I will take nothing away from Irad BUT clearly Joel is the having the best meet at Toga hands down. Obviously if he picks up 51 more mounts to match Irad he would be surpassing him in wins.

Irad Ortiz : 35 wins 181 starts. Most starts ,better horses , sharp jockey. Best jockey in the country overall. No disputing that.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2022, 09:20 PM   #2
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

All I know is that I’m sick of hearing about Jockey standings and stats. If I could bet on it, I would. Otherwise, I don’t care.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2022, 10:46 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
Joel Rosario : 28 wins 130 starts. I will take nothing away from Irad BUT clearly Joel is the having the best meet at Toga hands down. Obviously if he picks up 51 more mounts to match Irad he would be surpassing him in wins.

Irad Ortiz : 35 wins 181 starts. Most starts ,better horses , sharp jockey. Best jockey in the country overall. No disputing that.
No idea how anyone could watch this meet and conclude Irad is better than Joel. He's not.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2022, 11:19 PM   #4
ranchwest

It's a great jockey colony. There's a few exceptional jockeys... don't leave Pratt out of that category. But when I evaluate a race, I have to give consideration to all of the top 10 or so. As for the jockeys with low win percentages, that's probably because the outstanding jockeys are getting the best mounts and the agents are not landing the "just good" jockeys the top mounts. But for me to select a horse with a low percentage jockey, I need some superlative that stands out more than the horse being a reasonable selection. There's too many great riders to have to settle for a low percentage jock. Of course, I do sometimes take the longshot with a low percentage rider, but that can't be an every race strategy.
Old 08-15-2022, 06:32 AM   #5
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Prat has 16-56 less starts then top 4 and has 20 wins.

Hes been ok this meet it will be a couple of years before he wins the title.If he had the mounts Irad or Joel had he would be the leading rider.
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2022, 07:22 AM   #6
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk Urging View Post
Prat has 16-56 less starts then top 4 and has 20 wins.

Hes been ok this meet it will be a couple of years before he wins the title.If he had the mounts Irad or Joel had he would be the leading rider.
Why is there such a difference in # of starts between the top jockeys especially Irad and Joel ? I already know some of it can be attributed to scratches but there has to be more to it then that.

It definitely appears that if those two jockeys had equal mounts Joel would be ahead at Saratoga and overall in the country. IDK about the Toga meet but the mounts Irad has throughout the year leads me to believe the guy doesn’t take a day off. Maybe Joel is more family oriented and isn’t riding in the afternoon then flying a helicopter to another track to get more races in.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2022, 08:13 AM   #7
Bigadam119

Javier Castellano currently in 5th place is a suprise. He’s won on some prices too. Good for him to get back to a riding well. It baffled me how he could go from the level he was 6-7 years ago to what we were seeing. Reminded me of Edgar Prado
Bigadam119 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2022, 09:48 AM   #8
ScottJ

[1] It might surprise many readers that Luis Saez, third in the standings with 26 wins from 160 starts, is 8-for-86 on the turf, but 18-for-74 on the main course.

[2] The lowest average win price is $6.30 for Ricardo Santana, Jr with his 6-for-78 record showing just how tough the colony is. Many would have likely guessed that Irad Ortiz, Jr would have the lowest average win price. He is actually second at $7.90 with his 35-180 record.

[3] Amazingly, Joel Rosario, Flavien Prat, Javier Castellano, and Jose Lezcano each have positive ROIs among the top 10 jockeys. Junior Alvarado, Julien Leparoux, and Jackie Davis also fall into the positive ROI camp.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2022, 02:06 PM   #9
the little guy

Saez is not a good turf rider.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply