Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-13-2022, 04:28 PM   #16
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevecsd2 View Post
And for those electric cars how much will it cost to replace the batteries after 3-5 years? For the Nissan Leaf the estimate is $6,500 to $7,500. The other ones are probably similar in cost.

There is no cost savings in buying an electric vehicle, unless you want to try to sell it when the battery dies.
The Toyota. Batteries are lasting 10+ now. With 11k miles a year.

At least my Toyota connection tells me so
Old 08-13-2022, 04:36 PM   #17
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Maybe I should go back and ask a bunch of questions on the tour and drive the guide nuts. I took a bus tour of a windmill farm once, I was lucky the tour guide didn't try to leave me out in the middle of the desert. Some of them seem to like an educated customer, those that aren't well versed don't.

That's funny.

Quote:
I need to get to work, but I definitely will look to see the real cause of the reduction, thanks for the info. As in why they can't compensate for lower water levels, not CLIMATE CHANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lake Mead & Lake Powell are both in danger of not being able to run the turbines.

Officials Will Release Less Water Into Lake Mead Because of Drought
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2022, 05:38 PM   #18
JustRalph
Just another Facist

The Lakes in Texas are so low people are pulling their boats and calling off the boating/fishing season 3 months early

I heard of a guy who left his boat at a dock for 2 days and when he came back the boat was sitting on the bottom 8-12 feet from the dock. He had to have a crane move it
Old 08-13-2022, 07:33 PM   #19
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Then there’s this……above the Mason Dixon?

https://www.realclearscience.com/blo...ly_847082.html
Old 08-13-2022, 07:36 PM   #20
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Then there’s this……above the Mason Dixon?

https://www.realclearscience.com/blo...ly_847082.html
Looks like they're desperately trying to sell another bill of goods:

Quote:
Here in the Upper Midwest, our interstates are fast and our winters are cold. Speeds north of 70 miles per hour combined with near-zero (F) temperatures wreak havoc on an electric vehicle's range. While a typical internal combustion engine (ICE) car might suffer only a 10-15% reduction in highway driving range under these conditions, a typical EV currently on the market will have its range dip 30-50 percent! Elevated power output from the motor coupled with electric heating for the cabin increase energy draw from a cold – and thus reduced-capacity – lithium battery. This means that a 274-mile rated Kia EV6 might mange just 160 miles of range in bone-chilling cold, a 278-mile rated Mustang Mach-E might get 180, and a Tesla Model Y could optimistically go about 200. If you're thinking about a winter road trip, maybe to visit relatives for Christmas or Thanksgiving, in a shorter-range EV like a Kona, Bolt, Leaf, or Niro, forget about it.
Reminds me of the COVID vaccines...everything will be GREAT! Until you get it home and have a look under the hood...
Old 08-13-2022, 11:12 PM   #21
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Nissan Leaf $20,875
Hyundai Kona $27,685
Ford F-150 Lightning $34,169
KIA EV6 $34,615

Far below 80k

$20 a month for gas? Are you living in 1950? I’m an eighty year old retired guy and I spend over $120 a month for gas. People who drive to work everyday, have to be spending over $200 a month.
You spend that much thanks to YOUR President. But...if I remember right, you said it was worth it to have that awful man out of the White House.

BTW...where's YOUR Electric Car???

Here's to hoping this Administration's Policies hollow you out.

Last edited by Elkchester Road; 08-13-2022 at 11:14 PM.
Elkchester Road is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2022, 11:13 PM   #22
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Nissan Leaf...

Nobody wants to drive a shitbox like that...
Idiots do.

Last edited by Elkchester Road; 08-13-2022 at 11:16 PM.
Elkchester Road is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2022, 05:08 AM   #23
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Nissan Leaf...

Nobody wants to drive a shitbox like that...
Actually, that’s the only kind of EV that makes sense. 2nd car, cheap, used for short trips in town.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:41 PM   #24
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Makes sense if you need a 2nd car and only make short trips to town.

What percent of car driver's you think that is?

But I do think EVERY ELECTED AND APPOINTED OFFIAL IN THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE MANDATED TO DRIVE ONLY ELECTRIC VEHICLES AT ALL TIMES WHILE HOLDING OFFICE,

And all air travel should be banned.
With Zoom technology, there no need to go anywhere.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:56 PM   #25
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
That's funny.

Lake Mead & Lake Powell are both in danger of not being able to run the turbines.

Officials Will Release Less Water Into Lake Mead Because of Drought

Nothing really good in there. It does appear they can easily manipulate the water levels. I like how they list a report from "Nature Climate Change" a monthly periodical that has been in business 14 months. I wonder if they are biased? That picture of Lake Mead at the Hoover Dam looks very similar to what I saw 15 or so years ago. Kind of hard to make comparisons when they manipulate the water levels. I wonder when the high water mark was made.

I would have a lot of ammo to be the jackass in the tour crowd now. For the record the lady leading the Hoover Dam tour when I took it was very educated. I was getting on the windmills guys nerves as he was trying to sell it as how awesome that wind green energy was. Once I got my claws in him over the high maintenance costs, he got pretty annoyed. Everyone else seemed fascinated at the smoke he was blowing up everyone's butt.

I always find it strange when they scream "Oh my god we are running out of water" "Look how many more wild fires we have in California" Man made climate change, climate change, climate change.

The population of California has DOUBLED in the last 50 years, and what part of the state did most of those people go? The hottest and driest part.

Most all fires are man made in one way or another, more people = more fires.

Here is another news flash, more people = more need for water.

Where I live if there isn't a good down pour every 5 days the farmers are worried their crops will die. It is rare to see a farm here with any type irrigation system. Why isn't there any MAN MADE CLIMATE CHANGE where I live? We have water all over the place. You would be hard pressed to even drive two miles between a stream, river, good sized pond, etc.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2022, 05:23 PM   #26
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
It does appear they can easily manipulate the water levels...
Quote:
The population of California has DOUBLED in the last 50 years...
Quote:
Here is another news flash, more people = more need for water.
I singled out three sentences from your quote.

I would add:

Glenn Canyon Dam was completed in 1966 to form Lake Powell on the Colorado River.

The population of Arizona has exploded since then.

As more and more people piled into the greater Phoenix area it became obvious there would eventually be so many people that there literally wouldn't be enough water to support them all.

So they built the Central Arizona Project - a canal system that pumps a serious amount of water (456 billion gallons per year) from the Colorado River into central Arizona.

Quote:
The 456 billion gallons (1.4 million acre feet) of water is lifted by up to 2,900 feet by 14 pumps using 2.5 million MWh of electricity each year, making CAP the largest power user in Arizona. Lake Pleasant is used as a buffer.[3][4]

The canal loses approximately 16,000 acre-feet (5.2 billion gallons) of water each year to evaporation, a figure that will only increase as temperatures rise. It loses 9,000 acre-feet (2.9 billion gallons) annually from water seeping or leaking through the concrete.[5]
Problem solved. Or so the municipal planners thought back in the 1990's when Central Arizona Project water being pumped through the canals first reached the greater Phoenix area.

Once upon a time the Colorado River upon which both Lake Mead and Lake Powell sit was seen as an endless source of water and low cost hydroelectric power.

But since the 1990's, so much of the Colorado River's water is diverted away to both California and Arizona that the river itself now only rarely reaches the Sea of Cortez.

My point?

There's a reason hydroelectric power production is down and the lake levels are low.

Too much of the water in the Colorado River is spoken for.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 08-14-2022 at 05:28 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2022, 07:39 AM   #27
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

F-150 Lightning is failing real world tests for towing and mileage estimates.
A truck-testing YouTube channel recently pitted the F-150 Lightning against a gasoline counterpart. Both pulled identical, medium sized travel trailers.

The Lightning managed to go 86 miles before it needed a recharge.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-16-2022, 07:48 AM   #28
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Ford F-150 Lightning $34,169
It's now over $40,000.

The federal EV tax credit is $7,500.

Ford just raised the F-150 Lightning price by $7,000 on the base model, up to $8,500 on others.

There went your tax credit.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:00 AM   #29
Mulerider

Quote:

Everyone pimping green energy as the energy of future that will eliminate fossil fuels like coal and most natural gas, is either uneducated or flat out lies, pick one.

IMO we should be seriously investigating nuclear energy fueled by Thorium instead of uranium. Thorium is plentiful and extremely difficult to weaponize. Using "molten salt" reactors, there is no chance of what we term "meltdowns."

The U.S. experimented with Thorium in the late '50s, but went the uranium route instead (perhaps with Pentagon urging).

There are technical issues, to be sure, but other countries already have Thorium reactors under construction.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:02 PM   #30
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
IMO we should be seriously investigating nuclear energy fueled by Thorium instead of uranium. Thorium is plentiful and extremely difficult to weaponize. Using "molten salt" reactors, there is no chance of what we term "meltdowns."

The U.S. experimented with Thorium in the late '50s, but went the uranium route instead (perhaps with Pentagon urging).

There are technical issues, to be sure, but other countries already have Thorium reactors under construction.

Most of my power comes from a nuke plant. I am curious how they compare to other forms of generation in cost and output per acre, including the area needed for a water source.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: