Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-11-2022, 09:12 PM   #1
HorsemenHeist

Unfortunately, time to hang it up Trevor

Trevor is an icon that deserves to go out on his own terms, but it is obvious that his talents are in decline. Completely butchered the last two races today as well as others this meet. Time to let someone younger like Collmus take the mic.
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2022, 09:12 PM   #2
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsemenHeist View Post
Trevor is an icon that deserves to go out on his own terms, but it is obvious that his talents are in decline. Completely butchered the last two races today as well as others this meet. Time to let someone younger like Collmus take the mic.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2022, 09:14 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I've said this for a couple years, but it really is time now. Hopefully he can finish out the meet strong. The guy is an icon.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2022, 10:16 PM   #4
chenoa

Butchered 3 races today, wonder if he even wants to finish out the meet after today.

Enjoy the final few weeks, Trevor will go down as one of the best of all-time, he stuck around 1 or 2 years too long. Durkin went out a champ.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:25 AM   #5
Brisk Urging
Veteran

He was awful
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2022, 07:40 AM   #6
chenoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk Urging View Post
He was awful
So bad, it would come as no surprise if it was John Lies on the call today, and they said Trevor was under the weather for a few days. Just to regroup.
That had to have given him nightmares last night.

Last edited by chenoa; 08-12-2022 at 07:41 AM. Reason: spelling
chenoa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #7
dilanesp

There's a legendary story in California racing that Santa Anita told Terry Gilligan, an experienced announcer, to be ready at any time because Joe Hernandez was in decline. (As it turned out, tragedy struck- Hernandez collapsed in the booth during a race after being kicked by a horse, and Gilligan stepped in and finished the call.)

If I were Joe Harper, I'd fly Larry Collmus out to California and have him standing by.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2022, 09:50 AM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
If I were Joe Harper, I'd fly Larry Collmus out to California and have him standing by.
Why? Aren't you the guy who has said more than once in the past that race callers are pretty much the most unimportant thing in racing?

Now you need one on retainer?
Old 08-12-2022, 10:04 AM   #9
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Why? Aren't you the guy who has said more than once in the past that race callers are pretty much the most unimportant thing in racing?

It's not important in the scheme of things, but given Collmus is the heir apparent, might as well be ready.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:05 AM   #10
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

At this point, the calls are so bad they are actually distracting. I think that matters. I'm sure Del Mar doesn't want their voice botching race after race no more than a MLB team would want a play by play guy calling the players by the wrong name or badly mispronouncing them.

Last edited by cj; 08-12-2022 at 11:06 AM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2022, 11:49 AM   #11
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
There's a legendary story in California racing that Santa Anita told Terry Gilligan, an experienced announcer, to be ready at any time because Joe Hernandez was in decline. (As it turned out, tragedy struck- Hernandez collapsed in the booth during a race after being kicked by a horse, and Gilligan stepped in and finished the call.)

Gilligan sounded good, I liked him. His style and phrasing were straight from Hernandez, my all time favorite race caller. Joe was also great at Del Mar.
Old 08-12-2022, 11:50 AM   #12
Sheffwed

Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
At this point, the calls are so bad they are actually distracting. I think that matters. I'm sure Del Mar doesn't want their voice botching race after race no more than a MLB team would want a play by play guy calling the players by the wrong name or badly mispronouncing them.
Trevor likely could call some of the races but maybe not all, maybe they should have him just do some of them and someone else as well

Hoping the best for him, he is an all time great, and deserves to go out on his terms a la Vin Scully
Sheffwed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2022, 12:04 PM   #13
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
Hoping the best for him, he is an all time great, and deserves to go out on his terms a la Vin Scully
I should say, that while I understand the sentiment, I'm not actually sure people do "deserve" this if they are screwing up their job. Maybe it speaks to the unimportance of the job (the thing PA always razzes me about), although as cj points out, when the job is done truly poorly, it can become a distraction or worse for the fans. (Could you imagine a novice bettor tearing up a ticket after hearing Trevor call a different horse the winner?)

But if one actually sees a job as important, doing the job poorly is cause for termination, no matter how great you once were. We wouldn't allow a doctor or a lawyer to continue committing malpractice at an advanced age because 20 years ago, he/she was an all-time great surgeon or advocate. It's harsh, but you're being paid to do a job, and if you can no longer do that job, it's time to go. They can always honor Trevor by naming a race after him, putting up a plaque or even a statue of him, having "Trevor Denman Day" where the track honors him, etc.

Last edited by dilanesp; 08-12-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:53 PM   #14
chenoa

Pulling for you today, Trevor!!
Old 08-12-2022, 08:14 PM   #15
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheffwed View Post
Trevor likely could call some of the races but maybe not all, maybe they should have him just do some of them and someone else as well

In the last year I faced a similar situation replacing someone (whose name shall go unmentioned) because it was becoming more difficult for him. As they were long races (2 miles to 4.5 miles) I suggested he calls the start and the finish and I will take the part of their race where they are furthest away, fallers usually happen and so on. (these were not one mile oval tracks) In the end we could not do that but I think it would have been nice to do.

Some of you may be familiar with the work of the late Cricket Commentator for the BBC/Channel 9 in Australia, Richie Benaud, who can rightly be called one of the best sports commentators of all time. In his latter years on Channel 9, they made him the "Skipper" of the Channel 9 team, always had him around in the broadcasts. Sometimes summarizing, presenting highlights of the day and doing enough play by play that he could be called into full action for the bigger occasions.

There may be a lot of merit to that idea. But I am just happy to hear Trevor back and undoubtedly he deserves to leave on his own terms but I hope we will hear some more of his brilliance very soon.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: