Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-07-2022, 05:31 PM   #181
Profesor
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 56
[QUOTE=Sheffwed;2819591]yes I just found this place
,
I don't understand how you remain on the air[/QUOTE

Thatís easy (connections)
Profesor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 06:05 PM   #182
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward
 
PaceAdvantage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Del Boca Vista
Posts: 78,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profesor View Post
That’s easy (connections)
nice quote job, btw

jealousy is an ugly thing
__________________
@paceadvantage | Support the site and become a today!
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 06:10 PM   #183
v j stauffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick View Post
Vic:

Sir Peter O'Sullevan told me that. His words have slightly more weight on the subject of race calling than yours do. When I say slightly, I am being polite. I mean immensely. You are famous for being the voice of Hollywood Park - he was famous for calling races for BBC Television from 1948-1997. Called every Royal Ascot for half a century, the Epsom Derby from 1954-1977, the 1,000 and 2,000 Guineas from 1950-1970, the Cheltenham Gold Cup from 1955-1991, the Grand National from 1948 on Radio and then on Television from 1960-1997, the Arc from 1954-1985...I could continue, but I think I have made my point.

Everyone has indeed botched a race call. It goes with the job.

I never said it defines their body of work. But your statement is such a straw man, I am wondering if you will be the first racecaller at Lord Summerisle Downs opening next year off the coast of Scotland.

The number of racecallers you have met does not lend credence to your argument.

I have definitely met race callers who do not try their VERY BEST on each and every race call and have largely become bored with the job except on big race days when their game rises to the occasion.
Sounds Good
__________________
"Just because she's a hitter and a thief doesn't mean she's not a good woman in all the other places" Mayrose Prizzi
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 06:43 PM   #184
the little guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
nice quote job, btw

jealousy is an ugly thing
I am never insulted by a poster that isn't even smart enough to quote posts properly.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 12:06 AM   #185
v j stauffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick View Post
Vic:

Sir Peter O'Sullevan told me that. His words have slightly more weight on the subject of race calling than yours do. When I say slightly, I am being polite. I mean immensely. You are famous for being the voice of Hollywood Park - he was famous for calling races for BBC Television from 1948-1997. Called every Royal Ascot for half a century, the Epsom Derby from 1954-1977, the 1,000 and 2,000 Guineas from 1950-1970, the Cheltenham Gold Cup from 1955-1991, the Grand National from 1948 on Radio and then on Television from 1960-1997, the Arc from 1954-1985...I could continue, but I think I have made my point.

Everyone has indeed botched a race call. It goes with the job.

I never said it defines their body of work. But your statement is such a straw man, I am wondering if you will be the first racecaller at Lord Summerisle Downs opening next year off the coast of Scotland.

The number of racecallers you have met does not lend credence to your argument.

I have definitely met race callers who do not try their VERY BEST on each and every race call and have largely become bored with the job except on big race days when their game rises to the occasion.
Did Sir Peter ever call the Humboldt County Marathon?
__________________
"Just because she's a hitter and a thief doesn't mean she's not a good woman in all the other places" Mayrose Prizzi
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 11:25 AM   #186
craigbraddick
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Did Sir Peter ever call the Humboldt County Marathon?
When you consider Telstar was launched in 1962, the first live televised race from the USA to Great Britain was the 1968 Washington DC International (Which Peter commentated on for the BBC as well as covering for the Daily Express) and he retired a long time before Ferndale sent their signal anywhere the answer would be "no." - wouldn't it?

However if he had called it, he would have done the same level of prep work as he did for all the races he called. How do I know this? Because I was with him when the BBC covered very ordinary racing mainly on weekdays.

Examples of both our prep work attached to show how in part he inspired me.

In his prime, I think he was better than anyone ever has been. Descriptive, accurate, knew when to use an economy of words, and knew when to turn it up, but never being a part of or a bigger part of the race itself.

None of this name, margin, name, margin, name, margin, name, margin etc, shout a bit near the finish, further wearing out the same cliches, and then mysteriously stopping the call 75 yards out as was the way in the US that prevailed for so long.

Read this: If you can think of a horse racing commentator who was so revered for so long and whose career at the very peak of the sport went on for so long, please point him out: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rac...d-97-1.2301095

CraigSheets.jpg

PeterOSullevanSheet.jpg
__________________
http://racecallercraig.blogspot.com
www.twitter.com/callstheraces

Last edited by craigbraddick; 08-08-2022 at 11:31 AM.
craigbraddick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 11:57 AM   #187
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick View Post
However if he had called it, he would have done the same level of prep work as he did for all the races he called. How do I know this? Because I was with him when the BBC covered very ordinary racing mainly on weekdays.
I remember when Trevor first started calling Fairplex and was applying his talents to some 4 furlong Appaloosa race and his editorializations ("she can WAIT NO MORE") sounded faintly ridiculous in the context. (Having said that, both him and Wrona turned out to be great at calling quarter horse races. Go figure.)

But I admire how all you guys prepare, and how you put so much work into a less than 2 minute call.
dilanesp is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 11:59 AM   #188
Brisk Urging
Registered User
 
Brisk Urging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 171
How can Wrona not be calling races at a major circuit?
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 12:13 PM   #189
v j stauffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick View Post
Vic:

Sir Peter O'Sullevan told me that. His words have slightly more weight on the subject of race calling than yours do. When I say slightly, I am being polite. I mean immensely. You are famous for being the voice of Hollywood Park - he was famous for calling races for BBC Television from 1948-1997. Called every Royal Ascot for half a century, the Epsom Derby from 1954-1977, the 1,000 and 2,000 Guineas from 1950-1970, the Cheltenham Gold Cup from 1955-1991, the Grand National from 1948 on Radio and then on Television from 1960-1997, the Arc from 1954-1985...I could continue, but I think I have made my point.

Everyone has indeed botched a race call. It goes with the job.

I never said it defines their body of work. But your statement is such a straw man, I am wondering if you will be the first racecaller at Lord Summerisle Downs opening next year off the coast of Scotland.

The number of racecallers you have met does not lend credence to your argument.

I have definitely met race callers who do not try their VERY BEST on each and every race call and have largely become bored with the job except on big race days when their game rises to the occasion.
I've always felt the brotherhood of race callers should stick together.

Have each other's backs.

Not sh** were we eat.

You've made some pretty damning accusations in this thread.

Accusing others of not having the same standard of professionalism as yourself and Sir Peter.

Care to name these colleagues?

I'm sure they'll appreciate the input from a man of your statue, ethic and skillset.
__________________
"Just because she's a hitter and a thief doesn't mean she's not a good woman in all the other places" Mayrose Prizzi
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 12:47 PM   #190
pat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 144
Johnny I in the sky is clear and precise in his race calls very good and deserved his position with NYRA.
Colmus is good at what he does.
Pete Aiello is the poet of storytelling throughout race sort of like Jack E Lee who was my favorite.
pat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 12:51 PM   #191
geroge.burns99
Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
Johnny I in the sky is clear and precise in his race calls very good and deserved his position with NYRA.
Colmus is good at what he does.
Pete Aiello is the poet of storytelling throughout race sort of like Jack E Lee who was my favorite.
Sure...and I bet you don't listen to him every racing day of the year like this New Yorker does.... that feels like NYRA pulled another swift one on us...
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 01:32 PM   #192
Brisk Urging
Registered User
 
Brisk Urging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I've always felt the brotherhood of race callers should stick together.

Have each other's backs.

Not sh** were we eat.

You've made some pretty damning accusations in this thread.

Accusing others of not having the same standard of professionalism as yourself and Sir Peter.

Care to name these colleagues?

I'm sure they'll appreciate the input from a man of your statue, ethic and skillset.
Vic speaking of which

Saying announcers should have each others backs.You tried to steal a job from Wrona back in the day.Wrona got hired to call the fairs and Vic wrote a letter trying to steal his job..

This isnt having each others back Vic
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 01:41 PM   #193
Peter Berry
Track Announcer
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk Urging View Post
How can Wrona not be calling races at a major circuit?
Prestidigitation. Ask Ritvo.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 02:01 PM   #194
dilanesp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk Urging View Post
How can Wrona not be calling races at a major circuit?
I love Wrona's work, but he's been in and out of a lot of jobs. He corrected me when I posted on this before- at least one of his major moves was to go work at another major racetrack.

But in general, when you see a lot of top level jobs on a resume, and the person is super-competent (as Wrona is), that indicates some reasons unrelated to one's competence for what is going on.

(Edited because of course you see lots of jobs on a resume as someone climbs the ladder.)

Last edited by dilanesp; 08-08-2022 at 02:08 PM.
dilanesp is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 02:31 PM   #195
Brisk Urging
Registered User
 
Brisk Urging's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk Urging View Post
Vic speaking of which

Saying announcers should have each others backs.You tried to steal a job from Wrona back in the day.Wrona got hired to call the fairs and Vic wrote a letter trying to steal his job..

This isnt having each others back Vic
Vic i need you to man up and reply to my post dont be a coward.
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Do you use energy percentages?
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2022 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.