Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-03-2016, 06:52 AM   #1
Capper Al
Registered User
 
Capper Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 6,330
PC databases to load BRIS files

The default is always Access. That 255 columns per record is a pain. But it's interface with Excel is nice. I'm thinking about MySQL. Yet, the future may be uncertain with ORACLE owning them. Does anybody use another DB than Access with BRIS files?
__________________


"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France


Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
Red Knave
dGnr8
 
Red Knave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Niagara, Ontario
Posts: 3,007
Have a look at Libre Office (or any of the Open Office forks).
They allow at least 1024 columns in the spreadsheet and integrate well with the database. Your MS office skills will translate and they're free.
__________________
.
The great menace to progress is not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge - Daniel J. Boorstin

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #3
DeltaLover
Registered user
 
DeltaLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: FALIRIKON DELTA
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
The default is always Access. That 255 columns per record is a pain. But it's interface with Excel is nice. I'm thinking about MySQL. Yet, the future may be uncertain with ORACLE owning them. Does anybody use another DB than Access with BRIS files?
Go with mysql and do not worry about Oracle owning them.
__________________
whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent
Ludwig Wittgenstein
DeltaLover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Canandaigua, New york
Posts: 108,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave
Have a look at Libre Office (or any of the Open Office forks).
They allow at least 1024 columns in the spreadsheet and integrate well with the database. Your MS office skills will translate and they're free.
One of the told in Access is that you can run a query and then open it in Excel.

Is there something similar to that in OO?
Even if it is not Excel.
__________________
Who does the Racing Form Detective like in this one?
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
upthecreek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,936
Open Office/Libre Office

https://www.openoffice.org/product/base.html

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/base/
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
tupper
Registered User
 
tupper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
One of the told in Access is that you can run a query and then open it in Excel.
Is there something similar to that in OO?
Is this what you want?
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
Capper Al
Registered User
 
Capper Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
Go with mysql and do not worry about Oracle owning them.
Do you get your BRIS file record into one table row? There over 1,400 columns in the main BRIS files.
__________________


"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France


Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #8
DeltaLover
Registered user
 
DeltaLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: FALIRIKON DELTA
Posts: 4,439
I have two tables:

One holds the race description containing things like track code, distance, surface, fractional timing etc (one row per race)

An another for the starter specific data like position per fraction, name etc (as many rows as the number of starters per race)
__________________
whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent
Ludwig Wittgenstein
DeltaLover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #9
Capper Al
Registered User
 
Capper Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
I have two tables:

One holds the race description containing things like track code, distance, surface, fractional timing etc (one row per race)

An another for the starter specific data like position per fraction, name etc (as many rows as the number of starters per race)
I think I'm dreaming that I can find a DB on a PC that can take a BRIS PP file in. Looks like I'm going to have to pick one and split it.

Thanks Everyone!!!!
__________________


"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France


Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #10
DeltaLover
Registered user
 
DeltaLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: FALIRIKON DELTA
Posts: 4,439
If you are having any concerns about the ownership of mysql, you can always use https://mariadb.org/ which is an OS replacement for it with full compatibility and a very active community.

In my case I am using a combination of mysql (to store historical data), mongodb (to store real time data, scratches, pool data etc), pickle (for trained networks) and flat files (for the DRF files that I do not touch at all).
__________________
whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Last edited by DeltaLover; 08-03-2016 at 05:27 PM.
DeltaLover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #11
Red Knave
dGnr8
 
Red Knave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Niagara, Ontario
Posts: 3,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
I think I'm dreaming that I can find a DB on a PC that can take a BRIS PP file in. Looks like I'm going to have to pick one and split it.
Delta splits it because it's proper database practice (and theory) to do so. MYSQL has a limit of 4K columns AFAIK.
You will waste time and resources storing BRIS data in the format that you get it. There is too much redundant data that way.
__________________
.
The great menace to progress is not ignorance but the illusion of knowledge - Daniel J. Boorstin

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 11:34 PM   #12
eqitec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 190
PC Databases to Load BRIS Files

I recommend FilemakerPro. Been using it for 20 years. Versions of it run on my WIN PC, my Mac, my iPad & iPhone. When running on my iPad or iPhone, it functions as a database "engine", not just a display of text from the output of other engines that only run on more powerful desktops and/or servers.
eqitec is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #13
Capper Al
Registered User
 
Capper Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave
Delta splits it because it's proper database practice (and theory) to do so. MYSQL has a limit of 4K columns AFAIK.
You will waste time and resources storing BRIS data in the format that you get it. There is too much redundant data that way.
I understand normalization. I was trying to pull in the whole BRIS MCP file for storage and reference only. Maybe this is not a good idea. Yes, once in their needs to be a trainer table, a jockey table, and other PP info tables to join back to make today's race. How's performance on the PC using many joins?
__________________


"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France


Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #14
Capper Al
Registered User
 
Capper Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 6,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
If you are having any concerns about the ownership of mysql, you can always use https://mariadb.org/ which is an OS replacement for it with full compatibility and a very active community.

In my case I am using a combination of mysql (to store historical data), mongodb (to store real time data, scratches, pool data etc), pickle (for trained networks) and flat files (for the DRF files that I do not touch at all).
I downloaded MySQL on Windows 7. I have an old i3 chip computer. Maybe a first generation i3.
__________________


"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France


Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #15
DeltaLover
Registered user
 
DeltaLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: FALIRIKON DELTA
Posts: 4,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
I downloaded MySQL on Windows 7. I have an old i3 chip computer. Maybe a first generation i3.
Should be just fine...
__________________
whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent
Ludwig Wittgenstein
DeltaLover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Do you use energy percentages?
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2022 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.