Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 08-03-2016, 06:52 AM   #1
Capper Al

PC databases to load BRIS files

The default is always Access. That 255 columns per record is a pain. But it's interface with Excel is nice. I'm thinking about MySQL. Yet, the future may be uncertain with ORACLE owning them. Does anybody use another DB than Access with BRIS files?

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
Red Knave
dGnr8

Have a look at Libre Office (or any of the Open Office forks).
They allow at least 1024 columns in the spreadsheet and integrate well with the database. Your MS office skills will translate and they're free.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #3
DeltaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
The default is always Access. That 255 columns per record is a pain. But it's interface with Excel is nice. I'm thinking about MySQL. Yet, the future may be uncertain with ORACLE owning them. Does anybody use another DB than Access with BRIS files?
Go with mysql and do not worry about Oracle owning them.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave
Have a look at Libre Office (or any of the Open Office forks).
They allow at least 1024 columns in the spreadsheet and integrate well with the database. Your MS office skills will translate and they're free.
One of the told in Access is that you can run a query and then open it in Excel.

Is there something similar to that in OO?
Even if it is not Excel.
Old 08-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
upthecreek

Open Office/Libre Office

https://www.openoffice.org/product/base.html

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/base/
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #6
tupper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
One of the told in Access is that you can run a query and then open it in Excel.
Is there something similar to that in OO?
Is this what you want?
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #7
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover
Go with mysql and do not worry about Oracle owning them.
Do you get your BRIS file record into one table row? There over 1,400 columns in the main BRIS files.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 08-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #8
DeltaLover

I have two tables:

One holds the race description containing things like track code, distance, surface, fractional timing etc (one row per race)

An another for the starter specific data like position per fraction, name etc (as many rows as the number of starters per race)
Old 08-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #9
Capper Al

Quote:
I have two tables:

One holds the race description containing things like track code, distance, surface, fractional timing etc (one row per race)

An another for the starter specific data like position per fraction, name etc (as many rows as the number of starters per race)
I think I'm dreaming that I can find a DB on a PC that can take a BRIS PP file in. Looks like I'm going to have to pick one and split it.

Thanks Everyone!!!!

Anatole France

Old 08-03-2016, 05:23 PM   #10
DeltaLover

If you are having any concerns about the ownership of mysql, you can always use https://mariadb.org/ which is an OS replacement for it with full compatibility and a very active community.

In my case I am using a combination of mysql (to store historical data), mongodb (to store real time data, scratches, pool data etc), pickle (for trained networks) and flat files (for the DRF files that I do not touch at all).

Last edited by DeltaLover; 08-03-2016 at 05:27 PM.
DeltaLover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #11
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
I think I'm dreaming that I can find a DB on a PC that can take a BRIS PP file in. Looks like I'm going to have to pick one and split it.
Delta splits it because it's proper database practice (and theory) to do so. MYSQL has a limit of 4K columns AFAIK.
You will waste time and resources storing BRIS data in the format that you get it. There is too much redundant data that way.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2016, 11:34 PM   #12
eqitec

PC Databases to Load BRIS Files

I recommend FilemakerPro. Been using it for 20 years. Versions of it run on my WIN PC, my Mac, my iPad & iPhone. When running on my iPad or iPhone, it functions as a database "engine", not just a display of text from the output of other engines that only run on more powerful desktops and/or servers.
eqitec is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #13
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave
Delta splits it because it's proper database practice (and theory) to do so. MYSQL has a limit of 4K columns AFAIK.
You will waste time and resources storing BRIS data in the format that you get it. There is too much redundant data that way.
I understand normalization. I was trying to pull in the whole BRIS MCP file for storage and reference only. Maybe this is not a good idea. Yes, once in their needs to be a trainer table, a jockey table, and other PP info tables to join back to make today's race. How's performance on the PC using many joins?

Anatole France

Old 08-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #14
Capper Al

Quote:
If you are having any concerns about the ownership of mysql, you can always use https://mariadb.org/ which is an OS replacement for it with full compatibility and a very active community.

In my case I am using a combination of mysql (to store historical data), mongodb (to store real time data, scratches, pool data etc), pickle (for trained networks) and flat files (for the DRF files that I do not touch at all).
I downloaded MySQL on Windows 7. I have an old i3 chip computer. Maybe a first generation i3.

Anatole France

Old 08-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #15
DeltaLover

Quote:
I downloaded MySQL on Windows 7. I have an old i3 chip computer. Maybe a first generation i3.
Should be just fine...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: