Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-09-2016, 02:24 AM   #76
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
If he's really wanting to press his luck, tell him to learn uniforms and figure out ranks. Then when he impresses someone by calling them by the correct title, he can really bullshit them with tales of his desire to pursue a career in law enforcement.
That's a great idea!

I have a story about how most people should NOT act towards a cop...

A colleague of mine is ex-CIA and served in Vietnam in '60s. He is white. He was about 55 years old at the time that he and I were driving home after work in NYC. He pulled onto the West Side Highway with his van. The West Side Highway is for non-commercial vehicles only. Commercial vehicles are prohibited from using it.

He had "combination" plates on his big Ford Econoline van. Combo plates allow him to park in commercial zones in Manhattan, yet, use the parkways as a non-commercial vehicle.

So traffic is heavy due to construction. A young NYC cop who is working the construction site tells him to pull over to the side and asks him to get out of the van. The cop starts telling him he can't go onto the West Side Highway with commercial plates and says he is going to write him a ticket.

I could see my colleague getting hot under the collar. All of a sudden he started ripping the cop a new one. He got right into his face and told the cop he didn't know what he was talking about. I had never seen a NYC cop back down before, but he did. He radioed in to HQ and found out that my colleague was right. He apologized and off we went.

There was something about the way my colleague handled the situation that was intimidating -- not in a life-threatening way, but in a scolding, fatherly way. I'll never forget it.

Another time I was driving home from NYC with the same colleague in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic. I was trying to merge into a lane on the Cross Bronx Expressway and accidentally knicked the corner of the bumper of the car in front of me. The car pulls ahead about 10 feet and then slams it into reverse and hits me on purpose!

My colleague jumped out my van and ran up to the driver and started verbally assaulting him. The young kid driving the car just shrunk into his seat in the same way the NYC cop backed away.

I don't know why my colleague was so intimidating, but it must have had something to do with his CIA training. Maybe it is because he knew how to take control of a situation when he knew he was in the right and the other person was in the wrong?
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2018, 02:05 PM   #77
JustRalph
Just another Facist

http://abc13.com/no-charges-for-bato...rling/3268728/

No charges
Old 03-28-2018, 12:43 AM   #78
thaskalos

Shocking! I was expecting a conviction.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:46 AM   #79
lamboguy

This is textbook reason why you need to be armed to protect yourself from the authority that wr have here. If a cop knows you are armed he will stay the hell away from you and go after some other sucker..

This ruling sends a message to cops all over that the justice department has your back and you can do whatever you want without repercussions.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2018, 03:18 AM   #80
thaskalos

The two cops involved in the shooting have been on paid administrative leave since July 5, 2016.

I guess the authorities figured that this was enough of a "punishment".

Last edited by thaskalos; 03-28-2018 at 03:19 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-28-2018, 10:02 AM   #81
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Shocking! I was expecting a conviction.
It obviously appears you want the cops to wait to be shot at before shooting back. The guy had a gun in his pants, had already been tased and was still wrestling with the cops on the ground. He also had drugs in his system that can cause aggression and paranoia.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #82
RunForTheRoses

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.06daeb0ba9b4
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #83
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post

Wow, I can't believe that extreme liberal rag even posted that article.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:35 PM   #84
Hank

Quote:
The two cops involved in the shooting have been on paid administrative leave since July 5, 2016.

I guess the authorities figured that this was enough of a "punishment".
voilą note hand position.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29572432_10101392302416901_4497863260146446160_n.jpg (41.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Hank; 03-31-2018 at 10:37 PM.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2018, 12:03 AM   #85
thaskalos

It's obvious from the above photo that the policemen's lives were in grave danger.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:36 AM   #86
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
It's obvious from the above photo that the policemen's lives were in grave danger.
He had a loaded gun in his pocket. I still think the cops were wrong, but you cannot discount that there was a real threat. But they handled it wrong.

I read one of the cops was fired today....
Old 04-01-2018, 02:21 AM   #87
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
He had a loaded gun in his pocket. I still think the cops were wrong, but you cannot discount that there was a real threat. But they handled it wrong.

I read one of the cops was fired today....
Here's the problem as I see it, Ralph. These cops obviously "handled it wrong", and the other cops in that Arizona hotel handled it even worse. But, when these cases go to trial and the cops are exonerated of all wrong-doing...then this sends a horrible message to the other "trigger-happy" cops out there. When cops "handle things wrong" in cases like these, then people die unnecessarily...and that should be unacceptable in a civilized society. I keep thinking of that shocking video in the Arizona hotel where a totally unarmed man was shot to death after begging the cops for his life on his knees...and I can't help but think that something terribly unfair is going on here if cops like those are allowed to go free without having to answer for their blatant crimes.

These Arizona cops walking around free is obvious proof to me that the cops are as close to "above the law" as it gets in this country...and that's something that I will never be able to accept, or understand. IMO...a crime should be a CRIME...no matter WHO commits it.

Last edited by thaskalos; 04-01-2018 at 02:25 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2018, 06:58 AM   #88
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I keep thinking of that shocking video in the Arizona hotel where a totally unarmed man was shot to death after begging the cops for his life on his knees...and I can't help but think that something terribly unfair is going on here if cops like those are allowed to go free without having to answer for their blatant crimes.

These Arizona cops walking around free is obvious proof to me that the cops are as close to "above the law" as it gets in this country...and that's something that I will never be able to accept, or understand. IMO...a crime should be a CRIME...no matter WHO commits it.
The Arizona hotel situation was about the most disgusting thing I had ever seen. The cop in charge seemed to try to escalate the situation, which should have conflicted with his training. In the latest case the cops could have done better, but the guy had a gun on him, had already been tased, was resisting and had quite a few different drugs in his system. If this was a lawsuit over a car accident the perp would have been found 75% responsible for his own death, therefore you have to let the cops walk.

Most of the time people who die at the hands of police share most of the blame and have a history of committing crimes, eventually their luck runs out.
Sorry but their unlucky day doesn't bother me much. I have a career criminal sociopath nephew who should get out of the pen in a year or so at 25. None of his crimes alone deserve the death penalty, but if he dies at the hands of a cop someday I say good riddance, the world is a much better place without him.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:02 AM   #89
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
The Arizona hotel situation was about the most disgusting thing I had ever seen. The cop in charge seemed to try to escalate the situation, which should have conflicted with his training. In the latest case the cops could have done better, but the guy had a gun on him, had already been tased, was resisting and had quite a few different drugs in his system. If this was a lawsuit over a car accident the perp would have been found 75% responsible for his own death, therefore you have to let the cops walk.

Most of the time people who die at the hands of police share most of the blame and have a history of committing crimes, eventually their luck runs out.
Sorry but their unlucky day doesn't bother me much. I have a career criminal sociopath nephew who should get out of the pen in a year or so at 25. None of his crimes alone deserve the death penalty, but if he dies at the hands of a cop someday I say good riddance, the world is a much better place without him.
"Most of the time" ain't good enough in these situations. Even if the victim is someone whom the world would be better without...he still doesn't deserve to be shot to death unless the situation demands it. And this applies to "criminally sociopath" nephew as well.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #90
Inner Dirt

Quote:
"Most of the time" ain't good enough in these situations. Even if the victim is someone whom the world would be better without...he still doesn't deserve to be shot to death unless the situation demands it. And this applies to "criminally sociopath" nephew as well.
The POS attacked a small elderly female teacher when he was in High School.
He is doing 2-5 for what was originally charged as attempted strangulation of his girlfriend that was reduced to felony domestic violence in front of a child. He has a so called "anger problem" that oddly only manifests itself around women and frail men. I could shoot him between the eyes and throw him off a cliff if I could get away with it and I have known him since he was a baby.