Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #16
nearco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hencicleva
Code:
Even though it rains all the time in England, Ireland and northern France, they will still turn the sprinklers on at the first sight of anything approaching hard ground.
Average annual rainfall

Newmarket, England 21.49"
Louisville, KY 43.56"
You seem to be confusing total amount of rainfall with frequency. You will not get the long dry spells and heat in northern Europe that you get in KY or other parts of the Midwest. Likewise you generally don't get the massive gully washing showers that drop numerous inches of rain in a matter of a few short hours in Newmarket. What you will get is frequent light rains and mild temps.
nearco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #17
hencicleva

No, I agree with you, I just thought it was a surprizing stat when I looked it up. My horses have suffered all summer from hard ground here in Virginia, it's been brutal.
hencicleva is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #18
Pick6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearco
You seem to be confusing total amount of rainfall with frequency. You will not get the long dry spells and heat in northern Europe that you get in KY or other parts of the Midwest. Likewise you generally don't get the massive gully washing showers that drop numerous inches of rain in a matter of a few short hours in Newmarket. What you will get is frequent light rains and mild temps.
Soil comp would explain a lot of this. I have no idea if they add sand to the coiurse, but high clay soil gets hard naturally.
Pick6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #19
nearco

Yes, there's definitely all kinds of variables, soil comp, climate, frequency if rain etc.

While there definitely is different interpretations of going on either side of the Atlantic, I find it hard to believe that the course is that hard. Seems like there would be plenty of other Euros complaining if it truly was that hard. I think that Workforces connection are engaging in a bit of gamesmanship as another poster mentioned. It's known he prefers a bit of cut in the ground.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #20
WinterTriangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
You think he could have found that out before flying across the ocean. Don't they have the internet in England any longer?
I was reading that Stout and some of the Euro trainers were told the turf wouldn't be rock hard, and that is why they even planned to come here. and it was brought up during the summer ----a member of stout's team was involved in the discussion. The euros don't like hard fast turf's its not as safe.

They also put a ton more water on the course than we do here. So, yeah, rock hard turf is unheard of in Europe as another poster said
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #21
andymays
Veteran

Stoute Satisfied with Churchill Turf Course | BloodHorse.com

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ll-turf-course

Excerpt:

Stoute walked the course with jockey Ryan Moore Nov. 3, and came back with a bit more confidence in the ability of the course to soften to the degree he desires by Saturday, Nov. 6.

"The track is in wonderful shape, and it has good cover," he said afterward. "It’s firmer than we’d like, and there has not been enough rain. We’ll monitor it each day."
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
Rackon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Stoute Satisfied with Churchill Turf Course | BloodHorse.com

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ll-turf-course

Excerpt:

Stoute walked the course with jockey Ryan Moore Nov. 3, and came back with a bit more confidence in the ability of the course to soften to the degree he desires by Saturday, Nov. 6.

"The track is in wonderful shape, and it has good cover," he said afterward. "It’s firmer than we’d like, and there has not been enough rain. We’ll monitor it each day."
Much as I suspected.

I suspect by race day th course will be a bit softer than the CA turfers would like and a bit firmer than the Euros would prefer.
Rackon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #23
Linny

Even during a dry spell the course is not going to be as hard and dry as during summer when the high sun and long days bake it. The CD course is like a rock in the early summer if they go 5-6 days without rain. In November it's a different story.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2010, 12:19 AM   #24
nearco

To underscore how going is viewed differently on either side of the pond, several US jockeys described the turf course as soft..... LOL

Quote:
The turf, described as "hard" and "rattling" this week, has been the hottest topic among European connections during the Breeders' Cup build-up, but dual Breeders' Cup winner Rafael Bejarano was one of many offering a different opinion after horses raced on the 7f oval.

Bejarano, who was winning his 400th race at Churchill Downs aboard the Sheikh Mohammed-owned Distant Sky, said: "It's a little soft, but I think it will be good for Friday and Saturday."

Even more dubious of European accusations was Tony Farina, who said: "It's soft. The fence is out very wide, so it's hard to tell, but it's definitely not too firm. I'd say it's similar to European ground."

Shaun Bridgmohan, another to ride in the event, said: "It's good ground. I thought it was fine."

In the same vein, Jamie Theriot said: "The turf is great. It's certainly not too firm."
Has Farina ridden in Europe?