Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
hencicleva

Anyone use Moss Pace figures in Formulator?

I've been buying PP's with these included, without ever using them. There doesn't seem to be any explanation on how they are derived on DRF.com but I'm probably missing something. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
hencicleva is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

http://www.drf.com/products/moss/moss.html
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
hencicleva

Don't know how I missed it but thanks!
hencicleva is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hencicleva
Don't know how I missed it but thanks!
No worries, I don't know how I found it!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

These figs seem to me to be a hairball. Why convert the final fig (which is the speed fig) from Beyer to his scale? Convert his numbers to Beyers instead, eh? Now you have pace figs on one scale and the Beyer on another; hence 2 different speed figs will be listed(the Beyer and Moss' converted Beyer)...confusion for some I would imagine.
Davidowitz has pace figs on the Beyer scale and that is what DRF should have used imo.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
These figs seem to me to be a hairball. Why convert the final fig (which is the speed fig) from Beyer to his scale? Convert his numbers to Beyers instead, eh? Now you have pace figs on one scale and the Beyer on another; hence 2 different speed figs will be listed(the Beyer and Moss' converted Beyer)...confusion for some I would imagine.
Davidowitz has pace figs on the Beyer scale and that is what DRF should have used imo.
There were several reasons, but one of them is that at 2F a 1/5th of second is quite significant. So if the pace is slow, it will produce a negative pace figure on the Beyer scale quite frequently.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
There were several reasons, but one of them is that at 2F a 1/5th of second is quite significant. So if the pace is slow, it will produce a negative pace figure on the Beyer scale quite frequently.
When horses are that bad, they still rarely ever would produce a subzero Beyer for 1/4. Really bad horses still run faster early than late.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:41 AM   #8
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
actually in chapter 17 (converting beyer figures for pace analysis) of his book betting thoroughbreds, mr davidowitz recommended using a tighter (moss style) scale for his ratings.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity
actually in chapter 17 (converting beyer figures for pace analysis) of his book betting thoroughbreds, mr davidowitz recommended using a tighter (moss style) scale for his ratings.
I've read pretty much everything I can find on horse racing, and I can honestly say I have NEVER come close to figuring out what he is talking about in the chapter. I have asked others and nobody gets it. It was also removed from the latest revision of the book.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand about the smaller scale, but the chapter as a whole is mind boggling.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I've read pretty much everything I can find on horse racing, and I can honestly say I have NEVER come close to figuring out what he is talking about in the chapter. I have asked others and nobody gets it. It was also removed from the latest revision of the book.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand about the smaller scale, but the chapter as a whole is mind boggling.
Thank you CJ!! I also felt like total idiot when reading this chapter (still felt dumb when I re-read the chapter)....the concept escaped me totally which is one reason I use Quirin style figs. Needed pace numbers and couldn't grasp the Beyer conversion stuff that Steve D was talking about. That's funny.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

LOL...and I thought I was the only one...
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

THANKS GUYS!

All these years I thought I was just to dumb to get it! Whew!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Me too. Never have figured them out, no matter the author. Actually, I'm a pace figure skeptic, though they work for others in their line of thought. I more agree with Steve D.' latter asssesment in the book, that there are errors in the margins due to the human calls, plus I know of plenty of timing errors, etc. I more like to know was it the fastest or slowest pace of the day(or close to it,) and just include that in my thinking. (Not claiming to be a big success, not betting right now.)

I must admit that Moss's explaination of them, as well as Brohammer's book, confuse me at first and then make me sleepy.

Last edited by Steve 'StatMan'; 06-03-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #14
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

we can talk about it the next time you see me at charles town.

just make sure that i'm drunk first!!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity
we can talk about it the next time you see me at charles town.

just make sure that i'm drunk first!!
If you can explain the chapter, the first and all drinks are on me.