Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 07-13-2023, 12:21 PM   #16
wiretowire68

Yes

I meant columns.. I am so curious besides DRF Formulator etc, is the daily racing form data package too much money to incorporate into the software. I personally am not a Brisnet fan... I have used every type of past performance type charts Equibase, Daily Racing Form, the Sheets, Bris...Post Time Inc. Bet Mix and Ragz. I think Formulator which is the same concept that Mike Pizzola used when he created their first on-line racing form. So in terms of building a handicapping model, I would prefer to take Daily Racing Form PP's and all the other bells and whistles that it has and be able to put into my handicapping similar to what you have already done "Dave" and what Raybo did with Excel.
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2023, 12:29 PM   #17
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
I meant columns.. I am so curious besides DRF Formulator etc, is the daily racing form data package too much money to incorporate into the software. I personally am not a Brisnet fan... I have used every type of past performance type charts Equibase, Daily Racing Form, the Sheets, Bris...Post Time Inc. Bet Mix and Ragz. I think Formulator which is the same concept that Mike Pizzola used when he created their first on-line racing form. So in terms of building a handicapping model, I would prefer to take Daily Racing Form PP's and all the other bells and whistles that it has and be able to put into my handicapping similar to what you have already done "Dave" and what Raybo did with Excel.
This is not the place to discuss this.

You can reach out privately if you wish.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2023, 01:35 PM   #18
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

There are over 1400 fields in the BRIS data file......
Old 07-13-2023, 01:38 PM   #19
ranchwest

Old 07-13-2023, 06:52 PM   #20
KyRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
There are a lot of things to work out - pricing is one of them.

But I can tell you that it uses both HDW files (HSH version) and BRIS (single).

There will be pricing tiers based upon features.

The BRIS side will not include the data while the HDW side will.
This sounds interesting. Might be just right for part-time players like me. Will it use your Pace line selection method.

By the way, how are the Ants doing? I heard they had to retire due to a Cease and Desist order from PETA for working them too hard!
Old 07-17-2023, 07:46 AM   #21
zerosky

Getting bris data files into a spreadsheet without a schema is a pain. Trackmaster has pp's in an xml format which makes things a lot easier, the trouble is I prefer bris numbers to trackmaster. The following link has sample files.

https://www.trackmaster.com/products/tpp/samples
zerosky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2023, 05:22 PM   #22
vegasone

Bris files are pretty much exactly the same as drf files with some added info in some of the columns
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2023, 08:10 PM   #23
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
Everything has become interchangeable now.. You can now take Excel and import right into sheets, there is an add on which allows for it to transform right into the sheets. So they are one in the same in terms of functionality. So there are the 1400 lines. It is too bad, I have done this with drf comma delimited files as well whereby the fractions come out as latin symbols, the Daily Racing Form has a text data chart telling you what is numeric and what are characters when coding... I guess with all the parsing of data going on these days, people unwilling to help. With all this AI happening now, I would think that there are many coders who might be nervous about their jobs becoming redundant. All I want is to be able to import the file into my sheets and design my system around it.
On the contrary of being nervous about AI you seem to be learning exactly why people who have done actual coding like this are not worried a bit about AI. Getting data into position for analysis has always been a challenge and that's just basic data my friend, if you ever need to add pool data to the mix for research purposes that will be another fun one for AI to figure out on its own.

Last edited by MJC922; 07-17-2023 at 08:17 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2023, 08:41 PM   #24
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
On the contrary of being nervous about AI you seem to be learning exactly why people who have done actual coding like this are not worried a bit about AI.
I've done a bit of coding in my life and I'm very concerned about the direction of AI.

In fact, within the AI communities that I am part of, plenty of coders are at least as concerned as I am.

Skynet could become reality.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:50 PM   #25
MJC922

I don't work with BRIS data, have not touched it in many years but I downloaded a sample file just now and imported it into excel 2010 with no issues. You can select which columns you want to skip using the text import wizard, highlight the column and choose skip, this will obviously take you some time to go through this many columns but once you do it once then should be saved and then you can simply browse to a new file and it will import only the columns you want into a worksheet. Again google sheets I don't know about. You're insisting upon using google sheets when most of the world uses excel, access and VBA for good reason.
Old 07-17-2023, 08:54 PM   #26
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
I've done a bit of coding in my life and I'm very concerned about the direction of AI.

In fact, within the AI communities that I am part of, plenty of coders are at least as concerned as I am.

Skynet could become reality.
I'm talking about horse racing but let's expand the discussion to IT if you want, I work in systems engineering and I can tell you code (anybody's code) doesn't handle troubleshooting different software and devices. AI isn't taking these jobs I can assure you of that. If AI can't 'figure out' on its own how to import a text file for this guy that should give you a clue Dave. Let me guess it does extremely well when spoon fed good clean data, that's been the case since day one, since people were using punch cards.

Last edited by MJC922; 07-17-2023 at 08:58 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2023, 11:32 PM   #27
Dave Schwartz

Getting it into a spreadsheet is nothing.

Making sense of it with the pitifully bad documentation is very much something.
Old 07-17-2023, 11:41 PM   #28
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
Bris files are pretty much exactly the same as drf files with some added info in some of the columns
The BRIS single file format files have a DRF extension (.DRF) and have the same format as BRIS Multicaps files (.MCP), which have more columns with data.
Old 07-18-2023, 12:31 AM   #29
vegasone

A few little gotchas in the comma delimited files that you run into once in a long while. At least in the past. Nothing disastrous.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2023, 03:06 AM   #30
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
A few little gotchas in the comma delimited files that you run into once in a long while. At least in the past. Nothing disastrous.
Yep