Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 07-10-2023, 04:29 PM   #1
wiretowire68

AI and inserting CSV files

I know I will receive smart ass answers etc..hopefully is there anyone on here who can actually explain how to make a bris file fit into google sheets with AI yet...and please do not tell me to use Raybo's system. Also, I have figured how to insert a daily racing form past performance file into a google sheet, it shows up with code block on the running line characters...does anyone know how to change those witin the a spreadsheet??? Just asking stupid questions...
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2023, 06:07 PM   #2
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
I know I will receive smart ass answers etc..hopefully is there anyone on here who can actually explain how to make a bris file fit into google sheets with AI yet...and please do not tell me to use Raybo's system. Also, I have figured how to insert a daily racing form past performance file into a google sheet, it shows up with code block on the running line characters...does anyone know how to change those witin the a spreadsheet??? Just asking stupid questions...
Not stupid at all.

Once the file is unzipped. the easiest thing to do is to change the extension on the file to ".csv" and it will just "open up" in your spreadsheet software.

But be prepared.
It will just be a whole bunch of data - no header row, no explanation, nothing.

I just spent about 30 hours of coding reading a BRIS file (single; .drf extension) into my new software.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2023, 10:40 PM   #3
wiretowire68

I guess there is no way to get a step by blow on how to code a brisnet file into a google sheet from you.
Old 07-12-2023, 11:43 PM   #4
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I guess there is no way to get a step by blow on how to code a brisnet file into a google sheet from you.
Are you specifically replying to me?

What do you mean by CODE?

If you mean "please write me some computer code that parses a BRIS csv file," I just spent 50 hours doing just that to get it right.

If you mean, "How do I get it into Google Sheets, didn't I already tell you that?

1. You unzip the file.
2. You rename the unzipped version to change the end 3 characters to ".csv"

3. You open the file in Google Sheets.
Old 07-12-2023, 11:58 PM   #5
wiretowire68

50 hrs of coding.......yikes.. I did not know you were a programmer by trade Dave.. what do you use Python, Java, Visual Basic just curious. A programmer gave me some Pyton code to use to do this but I was lost as I was beginnging to learn Python..but I am not trying to create a data base..at least not yet. I was learning the basics again. I will attach a copy of this to you and maybe you could explain it to me in terms I can understand.. I was not sure if I could use this in my downloaded python application or could I use my google apps script editor to write the code in. Then I read that you can not use python on google sheets and that Java script is better. The sad thing is my Uncle is an I.T. who works for SunMicro Systems and is the head of the department for implementing and going around showing how to use all software application updates. I asked him for help and he basically tells me that he never wants to see another piece of code as long as he lives as he is of course close to retirement and I understood his disposition.

Charles
Old 07-13-2023, 01:22 AM   #6
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
50 hrs of coding.......yikes.. I did not know you were a programmer by trade Dave.. what do you use Python, Java, Visual Basic just curious. A programmer gave me some Pyton code to use to do this but I was lost as I was beginnging to learn Python..but I am not trying to create a data base..at least not yet. I was learning the basics again. I will attach a copy of this to you and maybe you could explain it to me in terms I can understand.. I was not sure if I could use this in my downloaded python application or could I use my google apps script editor to write the code in. Then I read that you can not use python on google sheets and that Java script is better. The sad thing is my Uncle is an I.T. who works for SunMicro Systems and is the head of the department for implementing and going around showing how to use all software application updates. I asked him for help and he basically tells me that he never wants to see another piece of code as long as he lives as he is of course close to retirement and I understood his disposition.

Charles
I'm sorry, but explaining code would fall well outside the range of offering a little help. That would fall into the area of consulting and I get paid for that.

It is not trivial.
Old 07-13-2023, 02:37 AM   #7
KyRacer

Horse racing prediction using graph-based features

I came across this paper that was done a few ago at the University of Louisville for a project. I little something for Charles (parsing pdf files) and a little something for Dave (Neural Nets). Thought it might be of interest in this thread. This is above my pay grade so you're on your own. Why would they parse a pdf file instead of using a data file, I don't know but they did.

This link just opens a PDF file from the web site. My virus checker said it was ok.

Horse racing prediction using graph-based features
Old 07-13-2023, 08:33 AM   #8
Dave Schwartz

I know that paper.
Thank you.

IMHO, neural networks are not the best tool for handicapping horse races. I prefer generic algorithms.

Especially so when using relatively low-priced desktop computers to train. Deep Learning to solve a problem such as horse racing, demands giant computing power.

Literally a server farm of $50k computers.

Who has that level of resources behind them?

GAs train so much faster, and (I believe) work better on vertical problems.
The true definition of The Horse Racing Problem can best be summed as needing to know:
  • Probabilities of the horses
  • Final Odds of the horses

This is not a trivial endeavor, especially considering that the second one has become part of the first one.
  • 3 prediction markets
Of those, the prediction markets have produced the best results for my users.

I attribute that to how well it mimics the betting environment.

For example, using one of my older GAs, which I have used for over a decade, I made a discovery this week which was quite fantastic.

Essentially, I have learned that ordinal factors (ranks) are best for picking contenders, while cardinal factors (analog values) are better for separating them.

This forces me to make some changes to my current machine learning project.
That being said, GA #44 is about 85% finished. I will return to production on it after my new software comes out. Hopefully, beta will be ready by Aug. 15.
This new software contains quite a bit of machine learning - a subset of AI.

Specifically, the machine learning part designs artificial selectors. (This is the part mentioned above that I will need to update. It may push me back a week or so.)
Old 07-13-2023, 08:54 AM   #9
wiretowire68

Well Mr. Scwartz I am sure it will be a huge sucess as all of your endeavors have been in helping the public or those who are willing to bring the handicapping game into the 22nd century. I would be interested in which one will you propose going forward.. i.e. all that you create or is the newest one without database better than your HSH software.
Old 07-13-2023, 09:34 AM   #10
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Well Mr. Scwartz I am sure it will be a huge sucess as all of your endeavors have been in helping the public or those who are willing to bring the handicapping game into the 22nd century. I would be interested in which one will you propose going forward.. i.e. all that you create or is the newest one without database better than your HSH software.
Of course, that remains to be seen.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:09 AM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Does Google Sheets have enough columns to handle a BRIS PP file?
Old 07-13-2023, 11:30 AM   #12
wiretowire68

Everything has become interchangeable now.. You can now take Excel and import right into sheets, there is an add on which allows for it to transform right into the sheets. So they are one in the same in terms of functionality. So there are the 1400 lines. It is too bad, I have done this with drf comma delimited files as well whereby the fractions come out as latin symbols, the Daily Racing Form has a text data chart telling you what is numeric and what are characters when coding... I guess with all the parsing of data going on these days, people unwilling to help. With all this AI happening now, I would think that there are many coders who might be nervous about their jobs becoming redundant. All I want is to be able to import the file into my sheets and design my system around it.
Old 07-13-2023, 11:32 AM   #13
wiretowire68

Dave with your new software coming out, what is the price going to be? Also, you mentioned no database, will you still need to purchase your monthly data from HDW.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:07 PM   #14
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Dave with your new software coming out, what is the price going to be? Also, you mentioned no database, will you still need to purchase your monthly data from HDW.
There are a lot of things to work out - pricing is one of them.

But I can tell you that it uses both HDW files (HSH version) and BRIS (single).

There will be pricing tiers based upon features.

The BRIS side will not include the data while the HDW side will.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:13 PM   #15
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Everything has become interchangeable now.. You can now take Excel and import right into sheets, there is an add on which allows for it to transform right into the sheets. So they are one in the same in terms of functionality. So there are the 1400 lines. It is too bad, I have done this with drf comma delimited files as well whereby the fractions come out as latin symbols, the Daily Racing Form has a text data chart telling you what is numeric and what are characters when coding... I guess with all the parsing of data going on these days, people unwilling to help. With all this AI happening now, I would think that there are many coders who might be nervous about their jobs becoming redundant. All I want is to be able to import the file into my sheets and design my system around it.
Not 1400 LINES.

1400 COLUMNS.