Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Library

Old 07-07-2023, 05:46 PM   #1
Running Amok

THE MULTIPLE FACTOR RATING METHOD from ATM

I'm interested in a system book from American Turf Monthly entitled "THE MULTIPLE FACTOR RATING METHOD"

I went through the checkout process only to find PayPal isn't an option. They want a credit card number and I'm not comfortable sending that info online as their checkout page doesn't look secure.

It's certainly not a popular system book but the description states it has to do with making an odds line which is something I have been working on in Excel.

I know it's unlikely but if someone has a copy, let's work out a deal! I have old issues of PRN from the mid to late 90s to trade. Thank you!

Last edited by Running Amok; 07-07-2023 at 05:49 PM.
Running Amok is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2023, 07:58 AM   #2
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Amok View Post
I'm interested in a system book from American Turf Monthly entitled "THE MULTIPLE FACTOR RATING METHOD"

I went through the checkout process only to find PayPal isn't an option. They want a credit card number and I'm not comfortable sending that info online as their checkout page doesn't look secure.

It's certainly not a popular system book but the description states it has to do with making an odds line which is something I have been working on in Excel.

I know it's unlikely but if someone has a copy, let's work out a deal! I have old issues of PRN from the mid to late 90s to trade. Thank you!
Maybe one of those prepaid visa cards would work? That's what I do when I don't trust it. The worst that can happen then is they don't send you the item but being a gambler at heart I'm fine with taking on that level of risk.
Old 07-08-2023, 12:52 PM   #3
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
If you read the fine print that spells out the terms of use, you'll almost always find out most credit cards have less risk than debit cards or Paypal.

With almost all credit cards, if a merchant charges your card but fails to deliver the item purchased:

It's relatively easy to contact your bank and dispute the charge.

Most banks will automatically reverse the charge.

Most of the time that's the end of it.

But if the merchant disputes the reversal:

The customer can say I never ordered the item. And the bank will almost always side with the customer (fraud protection.)

If the customer says I ordered the item and I made a good faith effort to contact the merchant and tell the merchant the item was defective or never received:

The merchant has to prove the item was shipped/delivered and not defective.

With a debit card, it's possible but harder to get your bank to reverse a charge over a dispute with a merchant and make the reversal 'stick.'

With Paypal it depends on the terms the merchant agreed to when they signed up for a Paypal account.

If you buy something from an EBay merchant using Paypal (where Paypal originated) your protection is pretty much equivalent to that of a credit card.

But if you use Paypal somewhere else your mileage may vary.

I once used Paypal to purchase tickets on a Southwest Airlines flight.

We were about ten minutes late getting to the gate. The flight was overbooked and Southwest gave our seats to passengers who were flying 'standby.'

To make matters worse Southwest refused (per their terms of service) to give me credit for the amt I had previously purchased (not even towards a future flight on their airline.)

I was forced to buy tickets at last minute/full retail price in order to get home.

The next day I contacted Paypal and tried to have the transaction reversed for the tickets I was unable to use.

I was shocked to discover Paypal and all major airlines have an agreement that basically says 'All ticket sales are final. No refunds.'

I contacted my bank, explained what Southwest and Paypal had done (forcing me to pay for two flights while traveling only once and no credit towards a future flight - and asked:

If I had used my 'Name of My Bank' Credit Card, would I be able to dispute the charge for the set of tickets not used?

The answer of course was yes.

Lesson learned.

-jp

Old 07-08-2023, 01:05 PM   #4
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
Maybe one of those prepaid visa cards would work? That's what I do when I don't trust it. The worst that can happen then is they don't send you the item but being a gambler at heart I'm fine with taking on that level of risk.
And oh yeah.

I agree with the bolded part.

Totally comfortable taking on that level of risk.

Airline tickets though?

Different story.

-jp
Old 07-08-2023, 01:08 PM   #5
Running Amok

Thanks for the advice guys. I suppose the risk is small. It's just the idea of sending my credit card info over the Internet that worries me but then again I'm old and probably worry too much.

I know American Turf Monthly has been around a long time so I'm sure my worries are unfounded and the risk is minimal.
Old 07-08-2023, 01:42 PM   #6
Running Amok

Well on further review, nothing on the American Turf Monthly looks up to date. Their "current issue" of American Turf is dated December 2017.

I think I'll pass on ordering anything from them. But am still interested in making a trade if anyone has a copy of "THE MULTIPLE FACTOR RATING METHOD"
Old 07-08-2023, 08:08 PM   #7
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
And oh yeah.

I agree with the bolded part.

Totally comfortable taking on that level of risk.

Airline tickets though?

Different story.

-jp
Definitely, credit card for airline tickets. When I travel I pretty much stick to a credit card for the whole thing. I bought some stuff from a seller in Russia on ebay once and for that one I think I just used a prepaid visa card. OP wants to buy a $19 item, it's a gamble but not much of one. I tried to contact ATM about a year ago regarding purchasing an old issue or some article from it, never heard back.

Last edited by MJC922; 07-08-2023 at 08:10 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2023, 10:34 PM   #8
Running Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC922 View Post
OP wants to buy a $19 item, it's a gamble but not much of one. I tried to contact ATM about a year ago regarding purchasing an old issue or some article from it, never heard back.
Your point is exactly why I don't want to deal with them. It's not much of a gamble as it's only $19.95 but that website should not even be accessible if they're no longer in business. But it's still there and able to take your money.

And as I mentioned, their "current issue" of American Turf Monthly is dated December 2017. That tells me its an abandoned website that should be taken down.

Still would like to hear from anyone who has a copy of "THE MULTIPLE FACTOR RATING METHOD"
Old 07-09-2023, 05:34 AM   #9
KyRacer

Quote:
Your point is exactly why I don't want to deal with them. It's not much of a gamble as it's only $19.95 but that website should not even be accessible if they're no longer in business. But it's still there and able to take your money.
I'm not sure they are out of business. They seem to still sell their selections for Belmont. Go to their site and look under selections. You can see previous results as current as this past Friday and you can review past results. It looks like they charge $10. A review of the past selections shows they give out 2 spot plays with comments and 3 selections per race. I looked at Friday's results. It wasn't a great day for them.

The site still has value to me. I find the indexing of all the articles useful to me. I've picked up a couple of issues that they are missing from the index. I think there might be 5 issues missing and the index doesn't show the content.

I had a little interest in The Multiple Factor Method but never got around to buying it. Thought I might pick it up on ebay one day if it came up.

I am looking for a Ray Taulbot article from Dec 1947 called "The Master Rating System". I talked to AMT years ago but they didn't have any copies of that issue or copies of the article. I wondered if it might be a reprint of the one you're looking for or based on it. Ray started writing articles in Dec 1946.
Old 07-09-2023, 01:30 PM   #10
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:

I have the book! Keep in mind that it's from 1973. It's not something that's new. PM me your address and I'll send it to you.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230709_101858_406.jpg (505.1 KB, 31 views)
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-10-2023, 07:08 AM   #11
pandy

Quote:
Well on further review, nothing on the American Turf Monthly looks up to date. Their "current issue" of American Turf is dated December 2017.

I think I'll pass on ordering anything from them. But am still interested in making a trade if anyone has a copy of "THE MULTIPLE FACTOR RATING METHOD"
American Turf stopped publishing the magazine several years ago but they still sell books, systems, etc.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply