Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 01-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #1
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

FF help

I just loaded FF onto an XP laptop,
When I try to use it, it keeps refusing to go to sites because of certification problems. That included Google and PaceAdvantage.
Now, FF works on my other two XP machines.

I am wondering if a security setting needs to be adjusted?

My back up PC dies - I suspect a dead battery - it just went off suddenly and no signs of life. So I ant to use the laptop for a back up until I get it fixed or get my W10 machine up and running. All it has on it is IE7, and that won't let me go to FF or to Chrome sites to load them up, and IE 7 goes hardly anywhere. Rats!
Old 01-20-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
So Firefox won't let you use Google. Instead it gives you an error message.

If only you could Google the error message to find out what the hell the problem is!

Is that about right?

According to info at the linked to Mozilla support forum threads below:

For URLs that begin with "https://", Firefox tries to verify that the certificate presented by the website is valid before rendering the page.

If certificate validation fails for any reason, instead of rendering the page at the site, Firefox renders an error page.

Sometimes the reason for a certificate validation error is when security software installed on the user's machine (Avast, Kaspersky, BitDefender, ESET, and others) replace the certificate presented by the website with their own certificate.

Tom, if none of the links below lead you to a solution - post the text of the specific error message you are seeing (or a screenshot.)

I should be able to Google it and we can go from there.

I Googled the phrase "firefox not recognizing certificates" (without the quotes) and came up with a handful of threads on a Mozilla support forum.

How to troubleshoot security error codes on secure websites:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ecure-websites

Quote:
On websites which are supposed to be secure (the URL begins with "https://"), Firefox must verify that the certificate presented by the website is valid. If the certificate cannot be validated, Firefox will stop the connection to the website and show a "Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead" error page instead.

This article explains why you might see SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER, MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_MITM_DETECTED or ERROR_SELF_SIGNED_CERT error codes on an error page and how to troubleshoot it.

For other error codes on the "Warning: Potential Security Risk Ahead" error page, see the What do the security warning codes mean? article.

Certificate errors prevent me from accessing safe sites:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1248589

Quote:
I am unable to access my gmail account or my Linkedin account with FireFox. I get a certificate error SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER yet this is a valid site and account. When Firefox gives the error it will not allow me to add a certificate exception, so I cannot use Firefox for these sites and probably others.
Chosen solution

There is security software like Avast, Kaspersky, BitDefender and ESET that intercept secure connection certificates and send their own.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...r-browsers-can

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-load-websites

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-error-message

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-error-message

Websites don't load - troubleshoot and fix error messages

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_websites

-jp

Old 01-20-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Thanks for the info, JEff.
I'll check out all the links.

Maybe I just need to elect the outdated McGaffey.
Computern ever been on the net before and protection on it is what came with it.

This is what I get....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg error.jpg (77.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Does this have something to do with the windows exploit that was recently revealed by the NSA and patched by MS last week? It kind of sounds like it might have something to do with that...
Old 01-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #5
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Tom,

BEFORE performing any of the steps listed in the solution below --

It might be a very good idea to create a Restore Point.

That way you'll have something to revert back to in the event changing the the preference named "security.enterprise_roots.enabled" (without the quotes) in Firefox breaks something that is currently working on your machine.

Fyi, I have a current version of Firefox installed on all of my machines - and have never had a problem (certificate related or otherwise) using Firefox to browse the Google site.

Just for fun - I brought up Firefox on one of my Win7 machines and performed the steps deep enough into the solution posted below that I can clearly see the value of the preference named "security.enterprise_roots.enabled" (without the quotes) in Firefox on that machine is set to the default value of False.

I have no idea why I am able to browse the Google site without incident on that machine with the preference in Firefox set to False - while others can't.

Without digging deeper - that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Ok. All of that said --

The error message is: "the owner of google.com has configured their site improperly" (without the quotes.)

I Googled the phrase "the owner of google.com has configured their site improperly" (without the quotes) --

And the search results turned up the following thread on a Mozilla support forum:

The owner of www.google.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1226274

In the above linked to thread, scroll down and look for the SECOND green headline that reads Chosen Solution.

There, you'll find a post by one of the moderators that reads as follows:

Quote:
Chosen Solution

thanks, so in a corporate environment it appears that all your secure network traffic is being intercepted/monitored by some network appliance. in order for that to work, the certificate of the man-in-the middeling device has to be trusted by browsers. firefox uses its own trust store for certificates instead of depending on the windows trust store by default. you could import all custom certs from windows into firefox like this, which in effect should address the erros on secure pages: enter about:config into the firefox address bar (confirm the info message in case it shows up) & search for the preference named security.enterprise_roots.enabled. double-click it and change its value to true and restart the browser.
To which the person who posted the original question replied:

Quote:
Question owner

Thanks. Now more good. All works.
Why do you do it parameter false? So you lose your customers.
From the above, I glean that the user performed the following steps:

1. Pasted the following text "about:config" (without the quotes) into the Firefox address bar.

2. Clicked the blue box that reads "Accept the Risks and Continue" (without the quotes) when prompted.

3. Pasted the preference named "security.enterprise_roots.enabled" (without the quotes) into the Search box that came up after performing the previous step.

4. Toggled the value of the preference named "security.enterprise_roots.enabled" (without the quotes) from its default value of False to True.

5. Restarted Firefox - which apparently recognizes the new value of True upon startup - which allegedly made the problem go away.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 01-20-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2020, 09:48 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Wow!
Thanks Jeff - great advise - thanks for your hard work in this.

I will try it.

Ironic, I am only setting up FF so that I can get to Chrome to install that!

RTN will not work on FF, my FF anyways.
Only on Chrome.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:09 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Does this have something to do with the windows exploit that was recently revealed by the NSA and patched by MS last week? It kind of sounds like it might have something to do with that...
I don't know - the one I have using right along on the other computer still works.

I did download a new copy this weekend to install on the laptop.
Maybe their fix was to make it impossible to get online using FF?

I'll have to see if I have the years old version I install way back when and try that one. With the internet, newer is always worse!
Old 01-20-2020, 11:22 PM   #8
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The exploit had something to do with faked website certificates...when you said something about website certification, this triggered the thought.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

So maybe my older version is being fooled...that would make sense, but it won't let me come HERE, so who knows.
I am about fed up and ready to roll out my brand new (refurbished) W7 machine.

I think I found a program that will transfer the entire XP computer over to a new one, and that would be perfect. Got to buy some more beer before I get in to that today.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:56 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I added an older copy of Chrome - Ver 40.xxxxxx and am still getting certificate errors and no internet - Google still not trusted.
All the settings in both FF and Chrome match the ones that work on my other machine exactly.

Going to go the new refurbs and see what happens.

I hate the internet.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #11
KyRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
So maybe my older version is being fooled...that would make sense, but it won't let me come HERE, so who knows.
I am about fed up and ready to roll out my brand new (refurbished) W7 machine.

I think I found a program that will transfer the entire XP computer over to a new one, and that would be perfect. Got to buy some more beer before I get in to that today.
Hi Tom,

What version of Firefox are you using? I found this: Firefox 52 (52.9)was the last to run on Windows XP and long-term support has been terminated with the release of 62. I pretty sure the lastest version of Firefox or Chrome won't work on Windows xp.

You might try running the legacy portable version of Firefox from a usb drive. Link:

Portable Firefox 52.9

Maybe this Firefox add on could help. I use it.
HTTPS Everywhere

Clear the cashe and history files.

Other thoughts: You could run a free Virtual Windows XP mode on Windows 7. I did, but Microsoft didn't allow you to do that on Windows 10. I now run a 32 bit version of Windows XP in Wmware's Virtual machine. They have a program that you put on your Windows XP that prepares it to be moved to your Windows 10 as a virtual machine.

It's hard to find virus protections program to run on Windows XP now. I no longer allow Windows XP to access the web. I just copy the data files I need over to it.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:44 PM   #12
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Frankly, if you're still using XP for normal use , you're just a masochistic

Can't be about the money

What then ?
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I have a system up and running that is all I need or want- why waste the time and money on new stuff I don't need?

Now I have a refurb W7 and W10 - both older now. W7 is several years, W10 is only up to the original release of W10.

So I will have to get one of them up and running, not by choice.

Why is new always better - there is nothing out there I want that is new. I use Excel, Word, Access and several racing programs.
I have seen the new stuff, I have no interest in it.

Computers are supposed to SAVE time, not waste it. Having the exact same program do two different things on two computers is not progress to me - it is slather-assed products. My definition of MS.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:44 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyRacer View Post
Hi Tom,

What version of Firefox are you using? I found this: Firefox 52 (52.9)was the last to run on Windows XP and long-term support has been terminated with the release of 62. I pretty sure the lastest version of Firefox or Chrome won't work on Windows xp.

You might try running the legacy portable version of Firefox from a usb drive. Link:

Portable Firefox 52.9

Maybe this Firefox add on could help. I use it.
HTTPS Everywhere

Clear the cashe and history files.

Other thoughts: You could run a free Virtual Windows XP mode on Windows 7. I did, but Microsoft didn't allow you to do that on Windows 10. I now run a 32 bit version of Windows XP in Wmware's Virtual machine. They have a program that you put on your Windows XP that prepares it to be moved to your Windows 10 as a virtual machine.

It's hard to find virus protections program to run on Windows XP now. I no longer allow Windows XP to access the web. I just copy the data files I need over to it.
Portable FF worked!
Actually, what probably was the problem was that the computer date was set to 2003! I seldom use this machine, so i set the time, but not the date. Finally got a message that the cert would not valid until 12/20/2019.

I will try all the browsers I have now to make sure, but looks like it - FYI anyone.

Thanks to all for the help!

I hate the internet! LOL!
Old 01-21-2020, 08:19 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I have a system up and running that is all I need or want- why waste the time and money on new stuff I don't need?

Now I have a refurb W7 and W10 - both older now. W7 is several years, W10 is only up to the original release of W10.

So I will have to get one of them up and running, not by choice.

Why is new always better - there is nothing out there I want that is new. I use Excel, Word, Access and several racing programs.
I have seen the new stuff, I have no interest in it.

Computers are supposed to SAVE time, not waste it. Having the exact same program do two different things on two computers is not progress to me - it is slather-assed products. My definition of MS.
For one, computers (especially hard drives) don't last forever.

You have to prepare for the inevitable, or you'll be left hanging with nothing eventually.