Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Advance Deposit Wagering (ADW)

Old 09-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
Canarsie

This is insanity they claimed the same thing from Nassau OTb

The worst thing is I was at the Meadowlands this afternoon and there is the Belmont signal free and clear.

So no signal = less money you wonder why NYRA is in the shape they are.

To think I went to that place when you had to walk across the Cross Island Parkway from the auxiliary parking lot if you got there late on a weekend.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #17
turfnsport

Hayward said, "We are scheduled to have a conversation with them later this week on this very issue."

Yeah no sense of urgency, is there, since it is the bettors that are inconvenienced. This industry is just more sickening each day.
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #18
bettheoverlay

The way I understand it, 4njbets is in fact an extension of MTH/MED simulcasting, so technically not an ADW. Each time you log on to the site, you have to affirm that you are currently located in NJ while wagering. Internet gambling is considered illegal in the state and we are not allowed to enroll at ADWs. This was the court approved way around it for horse racing.

NYRAs claim that they were unaware is hooey. NYRA denied us the signal once before, and after many complaints it returned.

So what is the difference between the NYRA signal at simulcast centers and on the internet extension? Should Monmouth and the Meadowlands deny NYRA their signal in return? Silly stuff, NYRA probably deciding to seek more cash wherever they can.
bettheoverlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #19
trying2win

From Jeff Platt's post earlier in this thread, he got a reply from HAL HANDEL from the NYRA. Here's a sentence from that reply, with some gobbledyegook and baffegab in it, that I can't understand:

"Under aegis of NYSRWBD NYRA itself is prohibited from streaming its own races live to its own ADW customers thus raising bar on issue to a serious plane."

--Can someone please explain to me what this sentence means?

Thanks,

T2W

Last edited by trying2win; 09-17-2009 at 01:01 AM.
trying2win is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2009, 01:30 AM   #20
samyn on the green

corrupt/clueless government in New York

New York state has enacted a protection scheme for the local OTB. The way the government protects OTB is by prohibiting NYRA from streaming video or audio of the NYRA feed to New York residents. The point is to force punters to patronize OTB parlors since they can not watch video at home. It makes no sense but this is par for the course when dealing with progressive government. They have little to no empirical or existential experience and really hurt horseracing with their blundering policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2win
From Jeff Platt's post earlier in this thread, he got a reply from HAL HANDEL from the NYRA. Here's a sentence from that reply, with some gobbledyegook and baffegab in it, that I can't understand:

"Under aegis of NYSRWBD NYRA itself is prohibited from streaming its own races live to its own ADW customers thus raising bar on issue to a serious plane."

--Can someone please explain to me what this sentence means?

Thanks,

T2W

Last edited by samyn on the green; 09-17-2009 at 01:31 AM.
samyn on the green is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2009, 01:36 AM   #21
trying2win

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettheoverlay
So what is the difference between the NYRA signal at simulcast centers and on the internet extension? Should Monmouth and the Meadowlands deny NYRA their signal in return? Silly stuff, NYRA probably deciding to seek more cash wherever they can.
NYRA is already raking in lots of extra cash from their sleazy policy of incremental breakage rates, depending on the winning parimutuel payoffs at their racetracks. If you haven't already read about the NYRA's shady breakage policy, read all about it on their website and weep! Especially the part where it increases to 50 cent and dollar breakage. Unreal!

What with the NYRA's greedy breakage policies, along with their stingy live video policies, maybe they should be writing a new book entitled something like...'HOW TO LOSE CUSTOMERS AND INFLUENCE FRIENDS NOT TO BET THERE ANYMORE"

T2W

Last edited by trying2win; 09-17-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:43 AM   #22
trying2win

Samyn:

Thanks for the link to the article. Very interesting!

T2W
Old 09-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #23
affirmedny

Quote:

NYRAs claim that they were unaware is hooey. NYRA denied us the signal once before, and after many complaints it returned.

That's when 4njbets was hosted by Philadelphia's phonebet. Handel was in charge at Philly at the time. He's an incompetent hack just like he was in NJ.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-17-2009 at 11:13 PM.
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #24
Pacingguy

Not Really

Quote:
The way I understand it, 4njbets is in fact an extension of MTH/MED simulcasting, so technically not an ADW. Each time you log on to the site, you have to affirm that you are currently located in NJ while wagering. Internet gambling is considered illegal in the state and we are not allowed to enroll at ADWs. This was the court approved way around it for horse racing.

Actually, NJBETS is different. While they basically show the same tracks that are simulcast at NJ tracks, it is a separate company formed in partnership with the Meadowlands, Freehold and Monmouth Park which is being run by Scientific Games. Betting on the Meadowlands through NJBETS is treated the same as coming from another ADW with respect to how the commission is paid; not the same as if it is bet on track. This is why if you have a BIGM card and wager from home you don't get credit like you would on track.

I bet you it was not NYRA that raised the issue. Probably a complaint came to NYRA from one of the ADWs; why do we have to pay if others don't.
Pacingguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #25
Stevie Belmont

This stinks to high heaven. I have watched and played races from my home for since they started doing this a few years ago and love to do so when not at the track. I have been playing NYRA Tracks for several years. Not having the video is huge detriment. I hope they can get something done ASAP.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #26
miesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Belmont
This stinks to high heaven. I have watched and played races from my home for since they started doing this a few years ago and love to do so when not at the track. I have been playing NYRA Tracks for several years. Not having the video is huge detriment. I hope they can get something done ASAP.
May I ask if you and others who are directly impacted by this chain yanking are still playing Belmont and if so are you playing at the same level?

I notice there is pretty much an absence of any sort of real news story on this disruption, but if you do a general web google on the subject of NYRA signal there are several similar past instances with other jurisdictions/entities, so this is unfortunately not a rare isolated occurence.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #27
KM1234

I have stopped betting NYRA since the live video was discontinued, and I've even stopped watching TVG when Belmont is running. I realize not watching doesn't affect NYRA, but that's what I've chosen to do.

I notice that the handle for Belmont is down about 5 million over the first 5 days of the meet over last year's figures. Don't know if it's because of disgruntled bettors or not.

I suppose I'm angry because I was going to take a break from any serious betting until Tampa after following Saratoga everyday. Then the morning of 9/10, I decided to buy the DRF Fall Special and play Belmont, and now this happens. At least I'm still able to download other tracks unlike the Saratoga Special which requires you to only download Saratoga. We'll see what happens.
KM1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #28
Stevie Belmont

I still made the bets I intended to make last week, considering I had already had the card and capped the races. I watched the replays, which is just not the same.

I can either go to the Meadowlands or do the same from home. I have to admit, not having the live stream could impact some of my playing in New York down the road, how much I do not know yet. I don't bet every race and I also play Monmouth.

Time will tell...
Old 09-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #29
affirmedny

I've cut my Belmont play 95 percent. What really sucks is my elderly handicapped father who can't get a dish or get TVG or HRTV on cable where he lives (and who plays NYRA every day as his hobby) is totally blown out of the water by this.
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #30
bettheoverlay

I'll still play Belmont but only with plays that I really like. It's not much fun without the live feed, so I have moved on with the majority of my plays to other tracks. I normally would play Belmont alot during the Fairplex lull in So Cal.
bettheoverlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: