Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #91
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Thursday night football is upon us again.The Seattle Seahawks visit Phoenix to take on the Arizona Cardinals.The Seahawks , as I write this,are 6 point favorites and the O/U is 40 1/2.The Cardinals are missing Carson Palmer and David Johnson and are 4-4.Drew Stanton who's been the backup for several years gets the call at QB.Adrian Peterson has been a pleasant surprise since joining the Cardinals a few weeks ago.He carried the ball 37 times on Sunday however I wonder at age 32 if he can take another pounding four days later.Pete Carroll, like Bill Belichick, rarely has back to back losses so I will go with Seattle and the under.

I was a little bummed that last week ,I whiffed on both the winner and o/u for only the second time this year.Looking for a turnaround.

TNF YTD. 11-6-1 . (Win 5-3-1) (O/U 6-3)

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #92
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Tonight's Thursday night game pits the Tennessee Titans against the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Steel City.As I write this the line is Pittsburgh by 7 with an O/U of 44.I'm going with the Titans and the over although I expect a Steelers W.The Titans are a quiet 6-3 this year and since they play in Nashville, get virtually no national attention.Both teams are on 4 game winning streaks.Pittsburgh barely beat the Colts on Sunday but I think 7 is a little large of a number.

Last week I dodged a bullet.Arizona scored a touchdown with 20 seconds to go and I was resigned to Seattle losing the cover.However the Seahawks blocked the extra point and that little miracle produced a push.And a push is always better than a loss.

TNF YTD. 12-6-2 (Win. 5-3-2. ,O/U 7-3)

Old 11-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #93
ldiatone

just thought this was funny

Attached Images
File Type: png dilly dilly.PNG (466.6 KB, 8 views)

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #94
barahona44

First off,Happy Thanksgiving to all of you in PA land.Turkey and football are on order for the day.There are three games on tap today,but to keep my Thursday night football predictions consistent,I will choose the evening clash between the New York Giants and the Washington Re****ns in Washington.The numbers ,as I write this are Washington by 7 with an O/U of 44 1/2.The Redskins should win but I don't know about the cover.The Giants offensive line was much improved on Sunday;the strong winds prevented much scoring on Sunday but Manning had time to throw.It will be calm, so if Manning can find time to throw , the Giants should keep it close.Washington has had tough losses lately and that can take a lot out of a team emotionally. I will take the Giants and the over.

TNF YTD. 13-7-2. (Win 5-4-2 , O/U 8-3)

Old 11-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #95
ldiatone

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – For the first time in more than 13 years, the Giants are changing starting quarterbacks.

NEWS

> Giants Chronicles: Best of 2007 SB run Coach Ben McAdoo announced today that Geno Smith will start in place of Eli Manning when the Giants face the Raiders in Oakland on Sunday. Rookie Davis Webb will also play, if not this week, then sometime before the end of the season.

“Geno will start this week,” McAdoo said. “Over the last five games, we will take a look at Geno, and we will also give Davis an opportunity.”

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #96
barahona44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone View Post
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – For the first time in more than 13 years, the Giants are changing starting quarterbacks.

NEWS

> Giants Chronicles: Best of 2007 SB run Coach Ben McAdoo announced today that Geno Smith will start in place of Eli Manning when the Giants face the Raiders in Oakland on Sunday. Rookie Davis Webb will also play, if not this week, then sometime before the end of the season.

“Geno will start this week,” McAdoo said. “Over the last five games, we will take a look at Geno, and we will also give Davis an opportunity.”
Great idea if you were starting Davis Webb to see what you have.You know EXACTLY what you're getting with Geno Smith; a player who at his best is the next coming of Jon Kitna or Gus Frerotte, i.e, a career backup who can fill in adequately for awhile but will never be elite or even close.Unless Ben McAdoo sees what Case Keenum has done with the Vikings and thinks Geno could be that way , too.What's interesting is that McAdoo gave Manning an offer to start to keep his consecutive game streak alive but Eli turned him down.

This move tells me 2 things: 1)The Eli Manning era is probably over and he'll be elsewhere next year.Jacksonville would be a good stop, they're a good young (read cheap) team who needs a good QB and could easily fit Eli's contract in their cap, like what Peyton did with Denver and 2) McAdoo will possibly be back next year.Maybe he convinced ownership to give him another chance and that a fresh start with a new QB is the way to go.

Last edited by barahona44; 11-28-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:49 PM   #97
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone View Post

NEWS

Eli is having a bad year. The team is 2-9 . If they said we want to see what Davis Webb can do , then ok everyone gets it. But Geno Smith with his 21 td's and 36 picks lifetime. The (ugh) Jets didn't want him ,are you kidding me
Geno Smith!!!!!. The coach and GM and have to go. Time for a clean sweep.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2017, 06:56 AM   #98
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
Eli is having a bad year. The team is 2-9 . If they said we want to see what Davis Webb can do , then ok everyone gets it. But Geno Smith with his 21 td's and 36 picks lifetime. The (ugh) Jets didn't want him ,are you kidding me
Geno Smith!!!!!. The coach and GM and have to go. Time for a clean sweep.
Agreed, Eli had no protection, a minimal running game and right now he has one dependable target and that guy is a rookie. It may be safer off the field because this team is as anemic as it gets. QB position is the most important but its also overrated..............There's not a QB in the land that would win with this dumpster fire or the current state of affairs in the management and coaching department.

Hey Eli, Jacksonville needs your services, they are pretty good and they have someone that can actually run a football team. I hear the VP of the team is a friend of yours, maybe the phone will ring.

Further more, the Mara's are shameful for allowing this. Take a walk Eli.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #99
barahona44

Thursday Night Football pits 2 NFC East teams,the Washington Native Americans against the Dallas Cowpersons (decided to wear my PC beanie today ) at Big D.The line is, as I write this,is the Redskins by 2 1/2 with an O/U of 46 1/2. I like to look at how a team is playing the past 2 or 3 weeks and the Dallas offense has been historically bad the last three weeks;the team has scored less than 10 points three games in a row for the first time in franchise history.Although I thought Dallas played over their head last year and they're missing their best player Ezekiel Elliot ,they're still better than they have played lately.Dez Bryant has to emerge from the Witness Protection Program sooner or later.Both teams are 5-6 and the loser for all intents and purposes will be eliminated from the playoffs, thus there is a sense of urgency for both squads.
Looking for a rebound, I'll take the Cowboys and the over.

TNF YTD 13-9-2. (Win 5-5-2, O/U 8-4)

Old 12-01-2017, 09:24 AM   #100
upthecreek

End of the NFL?

upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #101
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek View Post
I think the safety concerns and the player / management confrontations are more of a concern. The political thing will be forgotten over time. Some will never come back but some will. The liberals and conservatives are out on a limb.......more and more people are seeing through that garbage, that's why there are so many independents out there. The sheeple are divided up into 2 neat little flocks , its great if one is in power or super wealthy and people are finally figuring this out . Plus, Trump has a bone to pick with the NFL they have been shutting him out for decades.......they don't want him near it. Who would? Its not just the kneeling that pissed him off, he uses that against them, its an opportunity for him.

Football dead? Look at horse racing, hockey, boxing and golf. They have been limping along for decades as far as ratings. NFL is far from death, golf is banking on one guy that has had multi back surgeries, every time he pisses on a course, its news. The NFL is still light years ahead of most sports out there, if not all of them.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:45 PM   #102
barahona44

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I think the safety concerns and the player / management confrontations are more of a concern. The political thing will be forgotten over time. Some will never come back but some will. The liberals and conservatives are out on a limb.......more and more people are seeing through that garbage, that's why there are so many independents out there. The sheeple are divided up into 2 neat little flocks , its great if one is in power or super wealthy and people are finally figuring this out . Plus, Trump has a bone to pick with the NFL they have been shutting him out for decades.......they don't want him near it. Who would? Its not just the kneeling that pissed him off, he uses that against them, its an opportunity for him.

Football dead? Look at horse racing, hockey, boxing and golf. They have been limping along for decades as far as ratings. NFL is far from death, golf is banking on one guy that has had multi back surgeries, every time he pisses on a course, its news. The NFL is still light years ahead of most sports out there, if not all of them.
Well said.One of the NFL'S strengths is that they sell the game not the stars.Because when the stars retire/decline, interest also declines..

Old 12-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #103
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Well said.One of the NFL'S strengths is that they sell the game not the stars.Because when the stars retire/decline, interest also declines..

Agreed, and each and every team has a few stars on them. Since this is a horse racing forum, I'll just bring this up. There are not enough real stars in horse racing, its not as bad as golf but the freaking careers are shorter than an average NFL player. Horse racing can't even sell "the game" because the real super stars don't stick around long enough for a true following. In its "Hey Day" horses used to command the front of the sports page when certain horses ran from season to season. The two best horses in the last few years, American Pharoah and Arrogate, lasted for about a year.........the former won a Triple Crown and a BC...........then retired, 15,000 people showed up to watch him work at Saratoga! Gone 2 1/2 months later!

They can sell "the game" from noon to midnight but when the stars are only around for 12 months or less, its hard to get a casual fan base to follow "the game". The only thing I may disagree a bit with your comment is the game has to be combined with the right number of stars or it will struggle......just look a golf. Their big "story" is when one guy has had to "come back" like 3 or 4 times in like 7 years......that's just pathetic.

When I look at these other sports and then hear that the NFL is dying.........I just have to laugh! The NFL could probably lose 30% or more and still outrank most of the other sports and at times the aggregate of some of these sports combined.

Last edited by burnsy; 12-04-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #104
Secondbest

Giants just announced that they have fired GM Jerry Reese and HC Ben Mcadoo
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #105
Valuist

Seattle has a terrible O line, no running game and a defense that has been trashed by injuries. But they have one thing: Russell Wilson. And that lifetime QB rating that is in the top 2 of all time doesn't lie. Hard to imagine where the Seahawks would be without Wilson.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: