Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #481
BaffertsWig

Bitcoin has almost doubled in the last few months. How high will it go?
BaffertsWig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-23-2017, 03:33 PM   #482
AltonKelsey
Veteran

"Bitcoin has almost doubled in the last few months. How high will it go? "

This high

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bit...eed-2017-10-23
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #483
AltonKelsey
Veteran

All this pin action and no commentary? Ya'll must be banking large!
Old 10-28-2017, 05:22 AM   #484
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
All this pin action and no commentary? Ya'll must be banking large!
Actually some of us are in fact 'banking large', alton.

But there are some on here who still called for a market meltdown ... that it was 'imminent'... and that he just couldn't 'wait for Monday or Tuesday' ... or idiocy to that affect.

All predicted 2-3 weeks before a few more record highs came our way, again.

Some people just hate making money, whatever day of the week it is.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #485
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I've been getting killed, actually...lost my entire profit for the year (trading ES futures) over the last couple of weeks...I've been running so well since Feb 2016, this was bound to happen...I'm not even worried at this point.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2017, 02:42 PM   #486
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Funny, I've been an IBKR client for over 15 years, and have followed the ebbs and flows since then . Actually bought the IPO, and sold quickly.

Was going to comment that the Barrons story was nothing new, but figured the story was intact, so why put a bash on it. Stocks up big again, since that article.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #487
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
Funny, I've been an IBKR client for over 15 years, and have followed the ebbs and flows since then . Actually bought the IPO, and sold quickly.

Was going to comment that the Barrons story was nothing new, but figured the story was intact, so why put a bash on it. Stocks up big again, since that article.
Up nearly 10% since the story and it really didn’t pop the Monday after. Anyone who wanted could have come in for pennies over Friday’s close all day last Monday. I was surprised it didn’t get much immediate lift off that story but it’s certainly run since.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #488
lamboguy

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...e-ceo-comments

the part about investing in security is the reason why you want to get your heads wrapped around SFOR and a few other's that i am going for lately.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #489
_______
Veteran

Interesting article summarizing the variety of investor biases than can hurt portfolio return:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/412...-boost-returns
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2017, 02:41 PM   #490
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I've been getting killed, actually...lost my entire profit for the year (trading ES futures) over the last couple of weeks...I've been running so well since Feb 2016, this was bound to happen...I'm not even worried at this point.
I feel your pain. Hope you're getting some of back the last week, if on the short side.

Took it in the shorts myself trying to short the pump that began on 9/27. Got a bit of that back with one short and one long trade in the past five days, but it's getting pretty whippy out there, and requires constant babysitting, at least on the /ES.

It's my opinion that much of the market gains since the election had to do with the dollar going south, but that correlation ended in mid-Sep. Today's move in the DX down is propping the markets up today for sure.

VIX now creeping up, and lots of parts moving seem to indicate a major move coming up. The pillar stocks that have been holding up the market now showing weakness. The Saudi "reorg" not getting the attention it deserves, as what's going on over in the ME will have a big effect on US. It's surely not your granddaddy's market, as the Fed's (and other Central Banks) experiment in massive printing getting closer to the great unwind. Rate hike next month, unfavorable tax plan on deck Thurs, and the Fed reducing its balance sheet starting soon all headwinds for equities.

But, I've been wrong before. In the spirit of RR's predictions, here's what I think will happen:

Short Term (next 7 days in /ES) - trend up from here (2575) to 2581, retrace to 2555, pump and new high of 2612, then rolling over.

Medium Term (next three months) - down to 2450 by mid-Dec, down to 2240 by mid Jan, down to 2050-2075 by mid Feb. Descent could go quicker with war.

Long Term (next three years) - bumpy, we'll find out to what extent the Fed can control things. Chinese introducing the petroyuan will have huge long-term effects for US. Wouldn't be surprised if Trump's major announcement has something to do with phasing out the petrodollar in favor of basket of currencies to keep the Chinese and Russkies happy. Meanwhile, it'll become more clear the mainstream's story on the economy and reality are not in sync. Unemployment goes up, stagflation sets in, health care continues to be a major problem, and GDP tanks. While I lean towards the Great Deflation Monster causing equities to crash, we can't rule out more printing games keeping valuations artificially propped up. Amazon may still be $1139 a share, but if gas is $8 a gallon, and a loaf of bread $6, will any of us feel the wealth?
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #491
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I've gotten about 20-25% of it back thus far (depending on how today finishes).

It's going to be a bit of an uphill battle though...although with the VIX moving up, it could come back quickly if I'm on the right side of things...if not...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2017, 02:48 AM   #492
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I've gotten about 20-25% of it back thus far (depending on how today finishes).

It's going to be a bit of an uphill battle though...although with the VIX moving up, it could come back quickly if I'm on the right side of things...if not...
Playing the short side is riskier - the time frames of the dips are much more compressed. Replacing a strategy of BTFD with "sell the rip" is easier said than done.

Didn't quite get to 2581, as the /ES now down 10. Feel good about getting out of my long at 2577.75 earlier today - turns out that was about 1/2 point below the daytime top.

Lots of risk over the next few days, with Trump teasing us like a schoolgirl getting a new car for her birthday with his "major announcement" soon (N. Korea?), the tax plan vote in the House, and the holiday week coming up. I may go long if I can get in around 2555 and it looking like a short term bottom. Keeping an eye on metals, treasuries and DXY for hints about where the dollar goes.

Short Term Trend: down, but looking for a bounce up around 2555, or a bounce down off 2481. Next top after a bounce could be around 2612, but it could run higher or collapse anytime after reaching 2595....

Medium Term Trend: up, break below about 2502 on the /ES confirms change.

Long Term Trend: up, break below about 2380 on the /ES confirms change.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #493
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
...Short Term Trend: down, but looking for a bounce up around 2555, or a bounce down off 2481. Next top after a bounce could be around 2612, but it could run higher or collapse anytime after reaching 2595....

Long Term Trend: up, break below about 2380 on the /ES confirms change.
So far, so good. Made some decent coin on the first pump off the 2555.50 low, getting my best fill at 2555.75. That was total luck. Out at 2584, back in at 2572 and back out at 2580. Have made a couple of scalps long and short for beer money since then, and missed the nice gap and go on Tuesday from 2581 to 2598. Looking for one more push up, then the short term trend changes to down. Did some more chart work, and adjusted the near-term target a smidge higher. Totally flat right now.

Short Term Trend: Up, should top around 2615.50 Depending on the action, if a bounce next week off about 2600 starts to go higher, then targets are off the table.

Long Term Trend: up, break below about 2380 on the /ES confirms change. Note, the long term chart shows the increasing steepness of the bullish moves, but doesn't show that parabolic blowoff top yet. Don't want to be short in front of that move....

Attached Images
File Type: png S&P_MO_11yrs.png (39.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 12-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #494
lamboguy

from the Apple website

this is part of the reason i have my head wrapped around recycling cobalt and lithium batteries. gotta think this will be big going forward.https://www.apple.com/ca/environment/resources/
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-11-2017, 08:56 PM   #495
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
this is part of the reason i have my head wrapped around recycling cobalt and lithium batteries. gotta think this will be big going forward.https://www.apple.com/ca/environment/resources/
Also, use of fossil fuels in power generation is decreasing. GE is laying off 12,000 employees in their electrical generation department because they aren't selling as many fossil fuel power equipment and services.

Countries are switching to cleaner, renewable energy sources.

Things like wind turbines still need a lot of copper and solar still need a lot of copper.

Solar requires about 4 times as much copper as coal power and solar requires about 2 and half times as much.

As fossil fuel power plants are phased and replaced by cleaner power, it is said that about $7.5 trillion will be invested by 2040 and a lot of the cost will be in copper.

Then there are electric vehicles. Copper will be used in electric motors and wiring.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: