Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 11-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #16
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggingTheRail View Post
I've never lost the Oaks/Derby double
Neither have I, but I never played it. After not cashing a ticket all derby weekend at Churchill Downs in person almost 20 years ago I never made another bet on their races.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #17
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
I know your question was rhetorical but...
  1. Most handicappers don't to want to put in the requisite amount of work needed to be some degree of successful.
  2. They want something (someone) to blame for their losses.
While working at the Keeneland Fall meet, I did blame a nice TVG host for mentioning to me that a prominent So Cal Trainer liked his 1st time starter at Santa Anita that day. That Trainer was at Keeneland for the feature race. The host, his wife and myself each lost $20 on the nag.

RR
Old 11-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #18
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
1) The player who refuses to put in the necessary work to improve his play does not deserve to be called a "handicapper". He is a SUCKER!

2) What good does it do if I have "someone to blame"...when I am the one who dishes out the cash?

Of course my question was rhetorical; I know full-well why players insist on betting their money on the picks of others. They aren't even smart enough to realize that they'd be much better off at the roulette wheel.
You're proving his statement with a few more words. No one said what pick buyers or tout followers are smart.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2017, 11:27 PM   #19
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Why would anyone want to bet on someone else's losers...even if those picks are FREE?
I always like getting something for free
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-13-2017, 11:30 PM   #20
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6 View Post
I actually do a one dollar tipsheet at Mahoning Valley Race Course. And i do bet my own picks considering I spend about 2 1/2 hours preparing it for each live race day. It's more of a service to the regulars there. Nothing nefarious or shady about my motives. I do get a kick out of one table of guys that buy 1 sheet and pass it around to a total of 10 guys. Today only 5 showed up so they had to pitch in an extra dime apiece! BTW, I only count my top 2 choices in my stats. Averaging 30% winner for top choice and 50% for top 2 in last 3 years there.

RR
Doesn't seem like there is a lot of money in that. Never been to Mahoning Valley and not sure I have ever even seen a race at the OTB. Not sure where it is in Ohio, too lazy to look it up, but will buy one of your sheets if I ever go there.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:33 PM   #21
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
The price is right ... ?
I didn't see this post when I responded
Old 11-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #22
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
Doesn't seem like there is a lot of money in that. Never been to Mahoning Valley and not sure I have ever even seen a race at the OTB. Not sure where it is in Ohio, too lazy to look it up, but will buy one of your sheets if I ever go there.
True, not much money but basically a customer service thing. I did give out a $52.40 winner in Race 6 yesterday as my 2nd choice in that race. Plus a $68.80 Exacta if you boxed the top 2 picks in Race 7. Worth a buck I think!

RR
Old 11-14-2017, 10:13 AM   #23
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6 View Post
True, not much money but basically a customer service thing. I did give out a $52.40 winner in Race 6 yesterday as my 2nd choice in that race. Plus a $68.80 Exacta if you boxed the top 2 picks in Race 7. Worth a buck I think!

RR
The occasional race goer without handicapping skills would be much better off following your tipsheet rather than trying to wing it using whatever method they come up with.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply