Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #31
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
So, Jim, watching on a TV is not a problem, right? (Of course, I am assuming that you are watching on a TV that is not more than 50 feet away.)

Advise Tom on how to see silks while watching on a TV; he seems to have a problem with that.
you have no idea what you are talking about, because you weren't there.

The TV Sucks. It's very very hard to see silks on a 19 inch screen that is mounted 10 feet in the air.

I can tell you this, every stinkin race with Pink Silks was a clusterF#$@ with everybody in the tent asking " who won?" after every friggin race. It isn't just Tom. It made for a crappy day watching races. Really Crappy.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #32
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Cardus, moronic reply - yes...YOURS.
You honestly are under the assumption that most of the 29,000 people on track and the tens of thousands off track know silks? Most people have no access at all to what the silk colors are, other than the post parade, which most do not see. What about some guy with a 4-horse box? Contrary to your delusion, it is NOT general awareness. Are you so thick you can't understand that?

I merely suggested you might want everyone to bet your horse because YOU think you are King Shit when it comes to watching races. It seemed to me that only YOU could know what is good for everyone else.

Hint- if you had used the word advocated instead of argued, I would have known what you were talking about - you should learn to use the correct words when you post! I can only assume you understand everything you post. We have definitions of words so that we can properly communicate. But now you have gone and argued the point, so I reiterate...what a stupid thing to argue. But, hardly unexpected from you.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:38 AM   #33
ArlJim78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
So, Jim, watching on a TV is not a problem, right? (Of course, I am assuming that you are watching on a TV that is not more than 50 feet away.)

Advise Tom on how to see silks while watching on a TV; he seems to have a problem with that.
watching on TV is not a problem as long as they have the regular colored saddlecloths.

nobody viewed the races with the pink saddlecloths and said, "ahh this is much better".

imagine how it was for people that switched feeds and tried to pick up the action in the middle of a race.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #34
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Guess what, if YOU have no problem following colors, good for YOU. Many people can't - the TV at the tent is not very good quality to begin with, many colors are similar, you have people standing in from of you.

You've ARGUED this before? What, that everyone should be happy with what YOU like? Have you argued that everyone should bet the same horse as you as well?

What a stupid thing to argue. You assume everyone should somehow know all the silks? I could not tell you a single stables silk color. Why the hell should I care? Do you know everyone's silks at every track? How many of the 29,000 on track and how many tens of thousand betting off track, many on small computer screens, know all those colors? Or, is it just you few "insiders" that matter?

They are listed in the pp's
duncan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2011, 01:46 AM   #35
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

All this bitching about pink saddlecloths kill me. What the hell did you guys do when the Breeders Cup had all purple cloths?
duncan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2011, 01:49 AM   #36
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan04
They are listed in the pp's
What PPs?
Not in mine.
You are aware that there are more than one kind, right?

BC, all purple - do a search - we bitched. Stupid idea then, too. More so.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:50 AM   #37
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
you have no idea what you are talking about, because you weren't there.

The TV Sucks. It's very very hard to see silks on a 19 inch screen that is mounted 10 feet in the air.

I can tell you this, every stinkin race with Pink Silks was a clusterF#$@ with everybody in the tent asking " who won?" after every friggin race. It isn't just Tom. It made for a crappy day watching races. Really Crappy.
Then watch the race elsewhere. Is it that hard?

I was there last weekend -- somehow I missed getting to the PA tables -- and I saw many clear monitors.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #38
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Cardus, moronic reply - yes...YOURS.
You honestly are under the assumption that most of the 29,000 people on track and the tens of thousands off track know silks? Most people have no access at all to what the silk colors are, other than the post parade, which most do not see. What about some guy with a 4-horse box? Contrary to your delusion, it is NOT general awareness. Are you so thick you can't understand that?

I merely suggested you might want everyone to bet your horse because YOU think you are King Shit when it comes to watching races. It seemed to me that only YOU could know what is good for everyone else.

Hint- if you had used the word advocated instead of argued, I would have known what you were talking about - you should learn to use the correct words when you post! I can only assume you understand everything you post. We have definitions of words so that we can properly communicate. But now you have gone and argued the point, so I reiterate...what a stupid thing to argue. But, hardly unexpected from you.
I stated that it is knowable. It's not farfetched for an intelligent, aware person to follow a horse by the jockey silks.

If you are neither intelligent nor aware, that is a YOU problem, not a ME problem, as Colin Cowherd says.

This is not rocket science, though you think it is.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:58 AM   #39
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
watching on TV is not a problem as long as they have the regular colored saddlecloths.

nobody viewed the races with the pink saddlecloths and said, "ahh this is much better".

imagine how it was for people that switched feeds and tried to pick up the action in the middle of a race.
You allowed the saddlecloths to distract your attention, too? I noticed it, Jim, but I was far from lost following horses in each race.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #40
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Well good for you.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #41
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Well good for you.
You sure told me.

Enjoy the racing tomorrow (today, actually), Tom.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:27 AM   #42
dkithore

Robert

Thai s funny!

DK
dkithore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #43
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Having the pink saddle cloths on every race is excessive and a distraction. I totally agree with Tom and Ralph on this. The saddle cloth is the horse's uniform. What they did was akin to the Cowboys playing the Giants and both teams wearing identical pink jerseys and us being told you can still tell who's who because they still are wearing their regular pants and helmet. One or two races would be fine and everyone would deal with it, but every single race is no good. The spotters were even getting the graphics numbers wrong. If they want pink in every race, then the jocks can wear pink helmets or pants. They could put a pink outline on the cloths or a picture of the pink ribbon. No one here is disputing that this is a great and worthy cause, just that it could have been done in a way that was better for all.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #44
Cardus
Veteran

Et tu, Al, et tu?
Old 08-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #45
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

One might look and find out one's horse's silk colors, but you would have a harder time knowing all the horses in the race. I'd hate to have to make trip notes, wondering who is wide etc. and not being able to see the number on the same pink saddlecloth. Plus doing it off of a tv or a computer montior. As others have noted, lots of people were confused trying to watch on the screen; the placing judges having more troubles than usual updating the running positions. Hope the chart callers made the adjustment. Nice cause, but the saddlecloths were likely a poor idea - glad I didn't see the card, obviously an afternoon of frustration for many. Pink silks probably better idea, if the owners agree to it (that's their personal identiication out there), though I'd rather see matching jockey silks along with the saddlecloths on a regular basis.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: