Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-28-2017, 11:57 PM   #1
GMB@BP

New player-what circuit?

Well I am not a new player but was wondering what is the consensus best place to play if you were focusing on one circuit. and why? Or is that kinda old school thinking and everyone just players every circuit looking for the types of wagers that they like best?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2017, 12:03 AM   #2
Zaf
Pace Cappa

NYRA hands down the best circuit in North America !

Z
Old 05-29-2017, 12:10 AM   #3
oughtoh

Stay away from California, not enough horses.
oughtoh is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2017, 12:15 AM   #4
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtoh View Post
Stay away from California, not enough horses.
And stay away from Kentucky ( Ellis - Turfway ) and Florida is only a good product for part of the year.

Thread Closed

Z
Old 05-29-2017, 12:43 AM   #5
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
NYRA hands down the best circuit in North America !

Z
I learned a long time ago, it's parimutuel. Remember who you are playing against. If you are going to play New York as a newbie, you're jumping into the deep end of the water. The sharpest players in the world.

Now, back in the day you had 2-3 good circuits to play. NY-SoCal being the hardest if you ask me. I started small and moved to SoCal.

Today? I have no idea where I would start
Old 05-29-2017, 12:52 AM   #6
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I learned a long time ago, it's parimutuel. Remember who you are playing against. If you are going to play New York as a newbie, you're jumping into the deep end of the water. The sharpest players in the world.

Now, back in the day you had 2-3 good circuits to play. NY-SoCal being the hardest if you ask me. I started small and moved to SoCal.

Today? I have no idea where I would start
That was going to be my reply, if you are playing NYRA you basically are playing against the sharpest money in NA, and sharp money is really the majority of the pools from what I understand.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:36 AM   #7
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
That was going to be my reply, if you are playing NYRA you basically are playing against the sharpest money in NA, and sharp money is really the majority of the pools from what I understand.
I could understand this sort of thinking back in the pre-simulcast days...when we were confined to our local horseracing circuits. But now, with the vast majority of the NY mutuel pools consisting of out-of-state wagers...I happen to think that the pools there have "dumbed-down" considerably. I invite people to bet the Pennsylvania circuit...if they really want to see "smart money" at work.

I also find no credence in the popular theory that the NYRA product is "clearly the best racing in the land". In fact, as the summer months are upon us...the most accurate word that I can think of to describe the 2017 NYRA season so far, is the word "AWFUL". One swallow doesn't make a summer...and one Saratoga doesn't make a circuit.

Yes...NYRA is our most POPULAR circuit...but let's not forget that McDonald's is also our most popular eatery.

The best thing for a horseplayer to do, IMO...is to avoid thinking in terms of being "loyal" to a particular racing circuit...and to, instead, pick different racing locales at different times of the year.

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-29-2017 at 04:47 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #8
Johng032

new player

I'd argue that the best circuit is the one where there are somewhat limited variables. I find NY for a newbie to be extremely difficult. Multiple distances, lots of shippers in the spring and summer, maidens galore, first time turf or dirt. 1 turn "routes" at Belmont, etc.

My suggestion would be to find a track that limits those variables. Oaklawn meet is a good example as a starting point. Full fields, constant 6F sprint distance, usually only 2 route distances, no turf. It does "fail" fewer shipper requirement. Choose a track with easy availability of race replays. Will let you follow the horses without wagering and during the week.

I started with cheap horses at Suffolk downs in the 80's (the 70's if you count our family excursions on Memorial Day to sit on beach chairs at the wire with homemade beef cutlet sandwiches). Sprints were all 6 furlongs, routes were predominantly a mile and 40/70 yards. I handicapped on current form, track bias (usually path info), trainer angles and speed figures, all readily available information now but you had to search a little bit back then to find it. Used to have a daily replay show on cable and could keep track of horses during dinner. Larry Collmus was the track announcer and host for a while.

With all of the problems in the sport, gambling on horse racing or visiting a race track is still my favorite pastime.
Johng032 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Yes...NYRA is our most POPULAR circuit...but let's not forget that McDonald's is also our most popular eatery.

Very well put.

I like Tampa and Pen, Mth......looking at Lrl lately - seem to have good field sizes, long meeting.

I used to like NYRA turf, until they paved it.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:11 PM   #10
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I could understand this sort of thinking back in the pre-simulcast days...when we were confined to our local horseracing circuits. But now, with the vast majority of the NY mutuel pools consisting of out-of-state wagers...I happen to think that the pools there have "dumbed-down" considerably. I invite people to bet the Pennsylvania circuit...if they really want to see "smart money" at work.

I also find no credence in the popular theory that the NYRA product is "clearly the best racing in the land". In fact, as the summer months are upon us...the most accurate word that I can think of to describe the 2017 NYRA season so far, is the word "AWFUL". One swallow doesn't make a summer...and one Saratoga doesn't make a circuit.

The best thing for a horseplayer to do, IMO...is to avoid thinking in terms of being "loyal" to a particular racing circuit...and to, instead, pick different racing locales at different times of the year.
I think this is a really good post and I agree with a lot of it, though I think to be fair with the foal crop down some much from the downturn in economy racing has been rough all year long.

The advantage though to knowing one circuit is that you really get to know the horses and trainers, riders. For example I know inside and out socal racing so there are just horses that I can toss or include based on the history of the barn. I am not sure you would get that level of comfort if you played many different circuits.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #11
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johng032 View Post
I'd argue that the best circuit is the one where there are somewhat limited variables. I find NY for a newbie to be extremely difficult. Multiple distances, lots of shippers in the spring and summer, maidens galore, first time turf or dirt. 1 turn "routes" at Belmont, etc.

My suggestion would be to find a track that limits those variables. Oaklawn meet is a good example as a starting point. Full fields, constant 6F sprint distance, usually only 2 route distances, no turf. It does "fail" fewer shipper requirement. Choose a track with easy availability of race replays. Will let you follow the horses without wagering and during the week.

I started with cheap horses at Suffolk downs in the 80's (the 70's if you count our family excursions on Memorial Day to sit on beach chairs at the wire with homemade beef cutlet sandwiches). Sprints were all 6 furlongs, routes were predominantly a mile and 40/70 yards. I handicapped on current form, track bias (usually path info), trainer angles and speed figures, all readily available information now but you had to search a little bit back then to find it. Used to have a daily replay show on cable and could keep track of horses during dinner. Larry Collmus was the track announcer and host for a while.

With all of the problems in the sport, gambling on horse racing or visiting a race track is still my favorite pastime.
agree, the variables are much higher in the NYRA circuit...one could argue that leads to better prices and more exotic type plays.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #12
GMB@BP

A little surprised no one has mentioned takeout as a reason for selecting a circuit.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #13
woodbinepmi

Quote:
A little surprised no one has mentioned takeout as a reason for selecting a circuit.
Or rebates
Old 05-29-2017, 03:41 PM   #14
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Well I am not a new player but was wondering what is the consensus best place to play if you were focusing on one circuit. and why? Or is that kinda old school thinking and everyone just players every circuit looking for the types of wagers that they like best?
You've answered your own question especially with simulcasting with most tracks thru your ADW. Hopeful, you do have an ADW.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #15
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I could understand this sort of thinking back in the pre-simulcast days...when we were confined to our local horseracing circuits. But now, with the vast majority of the NY mutuel pools consisting of out-of-state wagers...I happen to think that the pools there have "dumbed-down" considerably.
I agree, and by the same token you have no idea who you are betting against at smaller tracks.

Belmont on Sunday had an in-house handle of $1.5 million and an outside handle of $8.7 million. Same day, Mountaineer did $24K in-house and $1.1 million from outside.