Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software > HandiFast Handicapping Software

Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Handifast is Growing Up

Something has been whispering in my ear lately. I think it was daddy come back. So I broke out ole handifast the last few days and started looking at it again. I did some testing based off of some ideas I got from Dave S. P&P work.

Went to our local OTB yesterday and doubled my days bankroll. Hit a $36 horse at Golden Gate. Raining today so stayed home and played on paper. Hit $58 winner at Fairgrounds. and some other very nice ones. But this is not about yesterday or today....it would sound like red boarding anyway.

What is significant, I have been inspired to upgrade Handifast. I don't know if anyone is still using the program, but I am going to change it a bit. I don't know how successful I will be, but I'm going to try.

Plans are:
1. Allow user to create setups for different distances and surfaces. Right now only 1 setup per track and all races are run off that setup.
2. Going to try and setup database capabilities.
A. This is going to take a lot of work cause there are 21 categories with point totals from 0 to 50. I believe that translates to 21 raised to the 50th power. That number is huge. So the plan as of right now is to let the user create a setup and then build a database and let the program spit out how the top 4 contenders do. At least that is the plan right now.

Not sure how long the database thing is going to take me, but going to try and do the new setup thing first.

So there it is.

Handi
Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
dartman51

Great to hear that you haven't given up on it Handi. I always thought HF had promise, just not enough consistency. But, more important than that, it's good that you feel well enough to get back to the GRIND, that I know it can be, trying to smooth the wrinkles in your "baby". Good luck, and keep us posted.

TS
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
TBred17Roan

I've been using Handifast as an additional tool for a few years now and with a little tweaking it does a good job getting its top choice in the money better than most programs. I'll be watching for any updates and thanks for a nice product.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
headhawg
crusty old guy

Handi,

Are you going to try to interface the LB code with a db engine like Sqllite or just store the output in files? Or are you using a different language altogether? I am just curious as I know that interfacing with a db is a big weakness of LB.

Good luck with your endeavor. I have meaning to get back to writing code (I have had some ideas for updating HHX) but I just haven't had the time over the last year and a half or so. I am interested in seeing how this new project turns out.

HH
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBred17Roan
I've been using Handifast as an additional tool for a few years now and with a little tweaking it does a good job getting its top choice in the money better than most programs. I'll be watching for any updates and thanks for a nice product.

Same thing as it's a large part of my preparations for the day. And yes, your efforts through the different versions are most appreciated.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
Vinnie

Handi

Very pumped that you haven't given up on Handifast. I have used several of the versions of Handifast since you folks created the original versions and I have found them each to be "Outstanding" in their own way. I appreciate all that you and Doug and Headhawg have done with the versions of software that you have created for Handifast to date.

I only wish you continued excellent health as well Handi...

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #7
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Thanks guys. Debugging an upgrade right now. New code allows the user to create a custom setting for Sprint dirt, sprint turf, Route dirt and route turf.

Head,
Not sure what I'm going to do with the db part. I will think about that after I get this update ready to go.

Handi
Old 02-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
cklv

Hi Handi,

So glad to hear you are planning to upgrade Handifast. I often used the program in screening my top 4 choices. The idea of constructing the program to calculate the results against the files and building a database would be a dedicated undertaking and set this program apart in many ways. Thanks for all your effort. I hope you are feeling stronger and having a lot of "good" days.

cklv
cklv is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
Handiman
BarelyWinning

I believe the Handifast upgrade will be ready for release tonight or tomorrow morning. But don't have a place to make it accessible. Maybe Doug or PA will step up and give me a spot to put it.

Handi
Old 02-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
AAcoolguy

Cool!

Waiting with baited breath!
AAcoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #11
acorn54

what site can i download handifast?
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
Handiman
BarelyWinning

Not quite ready but almost. Need to hear from Doug or PA as they provide the location to download the programs.

Handi
Old 02-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #13
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handiman
Not quite ready but almost. Need to hear from Doug or PA as they provide the location to download the programs.

Handi
Why not build your own website, upload your files there and people can go there to download it. That's what I did with AllData, using weebly.com. It's free and easy to build the site.

Just a thought.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handiman

Handi
Did you email the zip to me? We can create a sticky thread here where you can download the program...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #15
Handiman
BarelyWinning

I will tomorrow when it's ready. Thanks PA.

Ray I'm too lazy to mess with a website.

Handi