Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
lamboguy

here's one for you

in today's 3rd race at Presque Isle, #4 ROMAN AROUND, got claimed by the trainer's brother!

that is called a protective claim, done all the time, but usually not by someone's blood brother.

by the way, protective claims should not be allowed, but i have no idea the way claiming rules are written how you can stop them.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
AltonKelsey
Veteran

It may lower the chance of losing to a stranger, but certainly not to zero.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
Robert Fischer
clean money

Better information on claimed horses is another thing that we should have access to.

It becomes 'inside info', because it isn't exoteric.

How many claims came in on that filly in Race 3? It just says she was claimed in the chart. Not in a x-way shake... Just one claim came in? Should we guess? Are we allowed to have a buddy in the stewards office text us?

What are the deadlines for submitting a claim?
In NY it is written to be 10 MTP.

Are there measures in place to avoid this information being passed on to connections of the horses in that upcoming race? Are there measures to avoid the info being passed on to whales/CRWs?

I don't know any of this stuff.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:13 PM   #4
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Better information on claimed horses is another thing that we should have access to.

It becomes 'inside info', because it isn't exoteric.

How many claims came in on that filly in Race 3? It just says she was claimed in the chart. Not in a x-way shake... Just one claim came in? Should we guess? Are we allowed to have a buddy in the stewards office text us?

What are the deadlines for submitting a claim?
In NY it is written to be 10 MTP.

Are there measures in place to avoid this information being passed on to connections of the horses in that upcoming race? Are there measures to avoid the info being passed on to whales/CRWs?

I don't know any of this stuff.
i have no argument with you, i am just pointing something out that i believe is dead wrong.

for the most part, horse race betting is a stay at home deal these days. the people sitting at home have no idea that the trainer was afraid to lose the horse.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
Knowclew

"Back in the day" a claimed horse was "in jail" for 30 days. In other words for 30 days they had to run at least 25% above their claiming price....or in an allowance or protected race. Not sure how big of a detterant that is in today's world of running horses once a month, but it did matter back then. In harness racing it still would matter, nowadays you see 10 claimed run every 7 days, getting claimed back and forth by 2 or 3 trainers, while going off huge chalks each time.
I am not sure when, or why, that rule disappeared.
Knowclew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #6
jay68802

I see this often enough to make me wonder. A horse is entered to be claimed and and gets claimed. Also happens to run one of their best races in that last race for the original owners. Says to me that the inside information is flowing freely about what horses are being claimed.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply