Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
ultracapper

ESPN's Tom Jackson...Patriots "Greatest Franchise in NFL history"

I disagree, respectfully.

Greatest franchise over the entirety of the NFL's existence is the Chicago Bears.

Greatest team of the Super Bowl era is the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Of course, simply my opinion. I base my opinion on the fact that since 1974 the Pittsburgh Steelers have had a 45 year unbroken streak of relevancy. There have been very, very few seasons since the season defined by "The Catch" that the Steelers have not been a major legitimate subject in the playoff, if not championship, discussion. This period has spanned 3 coaches and numerous QBs and assorted stars and superstars. The Patriots, though having won a couple AFC Championships previously, rest their claim almost entirely on the Belichick/Brady era. If the Patriots could carry on for another 15 years after those two retire, then they would have a much more legitimate claim.

IMHO. Everybody is entitled to it.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #2
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post

Greatest franchise over the entirety of the NFL's existence is the Chicago Bears.

Greatest team of the Super Bowl era is the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Of course, simply my opinion. I base my opinion on the fact that since 1974 the Pittsburgh Steelers have had a 45 year unbroken streak of relevancy. There have been very, very few seasons since the season defined by "The Catch" that the Steelers have not been a major legitimate subject in the playoff, if not championship, discussion. This period has spanned 3 coaches and numerous QBs and assorted stars and superstars. The Patriots, though having won a couple AFC Championships previously, rest their claim almost entirely on the Belichick/Brady era. If the Patriots could carry on for another 15 years after those two retire, then they would have a much more legitimate claim.

Although I grew up a Colts fan, the Steelers-Vikings was the 1st SB that I watched. That made me an automatic Steelers fan back then,but I'm still giving it to the Patriots because of the salary cap restrictions. I look at their personnel year after year and wonder how they always win.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
jimmyb

If you go by team value it would be the Dallas Cowboys. Forbes values the team at 5 billion dollars.
https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gal...ms/1373910002/
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2019, 06:17 PM   #4
Zydeco

"Greatest Franchise in NFL History" My vote... Green Bay Packers. 13 time NFL Champions. Only team to win 3 in a row. (Twice). Won 5 championships in 7 years. Lombardi era. Bears have 9...Steelers 6 ..Patriots 5. Packers also lost 3 Championship games. Full disclosure- I am a Packer shareholder. Part owner!!!
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2019, 09:09 PM   #5
ElKabong

The Pats for the past 18 years is a standard of excellence that no one has seen before or will in anyone living's lifetime.

The 1960s Packers dynasty was my earliest memories, but as soon as the core of players were retiring or past their prime, Lombardi hit the road to DC. They weren't relevant for another twenty plus years.

The steelers after the Bradshaw era were also rans for a full decade.

The Niners were great in the 80s and 90s. They're the closest thing to the Pats I've seen.

An old time Cowboys fan, they get no vote here. Under Landry in the 60s they were second fiddle to Green Bay, 70s second fiddle to the steelers, 80s second fiddle to SF,... Then in the Johnson-jones era (89-93) early to mid 90s, they were relevant for only half the decade. Barry Switzer (95 super bowl) left the cow dogs in the same sad shape he left ou in. Complete chaos with the inmates ruling the asylum. Jerreh hasn't been able to get them on track ever since.

Last edited by ElKabong; 01-24-2019 at 09:14 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2019, 01:39 AM   #6
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post

The Patriots were nowhere and the fact that anyone can say greatest franchise and be taken seriously is 100% Brady. +Coach.

When Brady's stats are compared its still hard to believe.

Tom Brady has played in more Super Bowls than any non-Patriots franchise in the NFL

Tom Brady has played in more postseason games than 18 NFL teams

Tom Brady has won more playoff games than 27 franchises

Tom Brady has more Super Bowl passing yards than 32 first-round quarterbacks had in their entire NFL careers
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2019, 02:41 AM   #7
Man o' War

What good are all those stats if you lose Superbowls? I’ll give it to Brady for being very durable, not having any serious injury and playing at a high level for such a long time which allowed him to accumulate all those stats you mentioned. But just beating up on the AFC and losing 3 of the last 5 superbowls don’t cut it. He could have been 0-5 if Pete Carroll didn’t suffer a brain fade at the end of the Seattle/New England game and neglected to run Marshawn Lynch from the 1 yard line or jittery Matt Ryan reverting back to his past playoff form in the 4th quarter going ‘3 and out’ multiple times giving that game away. Sorry, but you Brady fans touting him as GOAT is getting old. Getting to the Superbowl is fine but how about winning some? Or at least have an 80% win/loss record please…
Superbowls
W/L record……..Brady…..5-3 Montana.……4-0
completion% ….Brady…65.8% Montana…68.0%
touchdown%....Brady...5.04% Montana…9.01%
interception%...Brady...1.40% Montana…0.00%
passer rating..…Brady….98.0 Montana…127.8%
Looks to me like there was a better QB roaming the superbowl fields in the 80s….
Man o' War is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #8
Marshall Bennett

Its not even close. The Patriots take it hands down. Numbers are everything in a debate like this.
Suggesting Brady and 1 or 2 others made the difference isn't correct either. They had offensive lines throughout that were second to none.
Brady haters, like Tiger haters, will always argue their success and give them due credit. The Packers who I loved as a kid had great teams, but were in no way in the same class. I don't like comparing the old with the new because it was a different game back then, but in this case its obvious.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #9
sour grapes
Veteran

what about the jets with jo willie,a 2 year dynasty.
sour grapes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2019, 11:02 PM   #10
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man o' War View Post
What good are all those stats if you lose Superbowls? I’ll give it to Brady for being very durable, not having any serious injury and playing at a high level for such a long time which allowed him to accumulate all those stats you mentioned. But just beating up on the AFC and losing 3 of the last 5 superbowls don’t cut it. He could have been 0-5 if Pete Carroll didn’t suffer a brain fade at the end of the Seattle/New England game and neglected to run Marshawn Lynch from the 1 yard line or jittery Matt Ryan reverting back to his past playoff form in the 4th quarter going ‘3 and out’ multiple times giving that game away. Sorry, but you Brady fans touting him as GOAT is getting old. Getting to the Superbowl is fine but how about winning some? Or at least have an 80% win/loss record please…
Superbowls
W/L record……..Brady…..5-3 Montana.……4-0
completion% ….Brady…65.8% Montana…68.0%
touchdown%....Brady...5.04% Montana…9.01%
interception%...Brady...1.40% Montana…0.00%
passer rating..…Brady….98.0 Montana…127.8%
Looks to me like there was a better QB roaming the superbowl fields in the 80s….
And yet...when Joe Montana is asked whom he considers to be the best ever quarterback...he says: Tom Brady. Or is he just being modest?
Old 01-26-2019, 12:09 AM   #11
Man o' War

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
And yet...when Joe Montana is asked whom he considers to be the best ever quarterback...he says: Tom Brady. Or is he just being modest?

Yeah…he’s an aw-shucks kinda guy!
Man o' War is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-26-2019, 12:18 AM   #12
Suff
Beat up 💪

Montana on a podcast last month. *pre-brady 9

Quote:
Eh, everybody wants that title I think. I think it’s really hard to give anyone that title. Tom obviously has had a tremendous career and I have a lot of respect for what he’s done and all he’s accomplished. You know, everybody tried to compare us and there’s just no comparison. The way I look at it, I mean if you go back and try to compare when I played to guys who played long before me if you look at Otto Graham and Sammy Baugh, those guys were way ahead of their time in what they were able to accomplish. You can hardly find film on them, but you know, the game is forever changing and I just say enjoy everyone for what it’s worth. Yeah, I’m just happy to be in the conversation, but obviously, Tom is just putting up stupid numbers so it’s going to be hard for anybody to catch him I think.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply