Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-31-2016, 02:45 AM   #1
menifee

Sword Dancer - Where's the Investigation/Outrage?

I just watched the replay of the Sword Dancer again. When I watched the race live, I was focused on the 5 horse. He was the rabbit that missed the break, went blazing fractions and then took out a few horses so Flintshire could get a clean trip up the rail.

I watched the replay again and focused on Money Multiplier. Heading for the far turn, he is in a perfect spot sitting behind the speed. Irad suddenly pulls MM up and to the right suddenly (essentially stands up) and allows Flintshire the spot - costing MM any chance of winning the race. In essence, he threw the race.

MM was 5-1 and was deliberately not trying to win the race either (same with rabbit). Both the rabbit's jockey and Irad were not only not trying to win the race, they actually took actions in the race that put other horses, their mounts, and jockeys at risk of injury.

This should not be allowed. First of all Flintshire really does not need the help. Second, there is wagering here and you are ripping off the public if your jockey is not actively trying to win the race. Third, you are creating a safety issue by doing this stuff.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 05:24 AM   #2
TonyK@HSH

From the perspective of someone else who wagered on MM I have to respectfully disagree. I feel that Irad found himself behind the leaders approaching the 1/4 pole and had to make a choice. Either stay down and hope for a hole to open or swing outside the leaders. Irad knew who was behind him and wanted to get first run at the lead. Irad choose the outside path. The change of lanes was not smooth, but I personally suspected no foul play.
Unfortunately for Irad, Flintshire found a sizeable hole on the rail. Hats of to Castellano!!

TonyK
TonyK@HSH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 06:21 AM   #3
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Where's the outrage when these unofficial entries had somewhat similar coincidences during tons of races on the inner track the last 2 years? Substitute the chad brown runners in the race with irad , Jose and cornelio/angel/Eric .

You all called me nuts and crazy. Glad some of you finally lived some of the bullshit these kids are a part of. Granted this one was of true trainer instruction but a script is a script.

The 2nd poster in this thread gave plausible deniability. Unfortunately that's all these guys need to complete their tasks. And who am I kidding, besides a few sharpies. No one else is noticing. Especially not the 3 blind mice upstairs.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 06:56 AM   #4
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by menifee
I just watched the replay of the Sword Dancer again. When I watched the race live, I was focused on the 5 horse. He was the rabbit that missed the break, went blazing fractions and then took out a few horses so Flintshire could get a clean trip up the rail.

I watched the replay again and focused on Money Multiplier. Heading for the far turn, he is in a perfect spot sitting behind the speed. Irad suddenly pulls MM up and to the right suddenly (essentially stands up) and allows Flintshire the spot - costing MM any chance of winning the race. In essence, he threw the race.

MM was 5-1 and was deliberately not trying to win the race either (same with rabbit). Both the rabbit's jockey and Irad were not only not trying to win the race, they actually took actions in the race that put other horses, their mounts, and jockeys at risk of injury.

This should not be allowed. First of all Flintshire really does not need the help. Second, there is wagering here and you are ripping off the public if your jockey is not actively trying to win the race. Third, you are creating a safety issue by doing this stuff.
I agree. The Travers is another example. Bejarano deliberately took American Freedom 6-wide out if the gate to block other horses so his stablemate, Arrogate, would not be challenged for the lead.
I used to run track in college and the use of such tactics to help a teammate would result in disqualification whether in a local meet or the Olympics. This "race riding" BS makes racing look like a roller derby.

Last edited by bobphilo; 08-31-2016 at 07:03 AM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 08:26 AM   #5
Big Peps

There have been a ton of head scratchers at Saratoga this summer, the super trainers, the issues with the starters, etc. Not a good look. The sword dancer was a joke, funny that Irad wasn't on a Chad Brown horse but played a big part there too. Sure you can always throw lipstick on a pig and justify but it definitely leaves one scratching their head..
Big Peps is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 09:02 AM   #6
outofthebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo
I agree. The Travers is another example. Bejarano deliberately took American Freedom 6-wide out if the gate to block other horses so his stablemate, Arrogate, would not be challenged for the lead.
I used to run track in college and the use of such tactics to help a teammate would result in disqualification whether in a local meet or the Olympics. This "race riding" BS makes racing look like a roller derby.
Yes, he was riding to instructions. Baffert wanted Arrogate on the lead. Baffert used the same tactics in the 2014 Awesome Again with his entry against Shared Belief. It almost paid off. People criticized Espinosa for herding Shared Belief that day, but he was following BB instructions. Espinosa also did this with California Chrome in the Pac Classic, and it definitely worked there, as Stevens and Bejarano grabbed their horses and looked at each other the first 1/2 mile wondering who was going to challenge Chrome for the lead. Neither did.
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 09:23 AM   #7
the little guy

Money Multiplier got a poor ride, no doubt, but how that is suddenly considered "deliberately trying not to win" is beyond me.

I guess this is another example of one man's paranoia having a negative affect on others.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox
Yes, he was riding to instructions. Baffert wanted Arrogate on the lead. Baffert used the same tactics in the 2014 Awesome Again with his entry against Shared Belief. It almost paid off. People criticized Espinosa for herding Shared Belief that day, but he was following BB instructions. Espinosa also did this with California Chrome in the Pac Classic, and it definitely worked there, as Stevens and Bejarano grabbed their horses and looked at each other the first 1/2 mile wondering who was going to challenge Chrome for the lead. Neither did.
Fortunately, Espinoza was suspended for his disgraceful ride in the Awesome Again. Unfortunately these tactics usually go unpunished, encouraging more of the same.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 10:33 AM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobphilo
Fortunately, Espinoza was suspended for his disgraceful ride in the Awesome Again. Unfortunately these tactics usually go unpunished, encouraging more of the same.
Espinoza was not trying to win the race with his horse. Can we say the same about Bejarano? I'm not sure in this case.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 10:52 AM   #10
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Where's the outrage when these unofficial entries had somewhat similar coincidences during tons of races on the inner track the last 2 years? Substitute the chad brown runners in the race with irad , Jose and cornelio/angel/Eric .

You all called me nuts and crazy. Glad some of you finally lived some of the bullshit these kids are a part of. Granted this one was of true trainer instruction but a script is a script.

The 2nd poster in this thread gave plausible deniability. Unfortunately that's all these guys need to complete their tasks. And who am I kidding, besides a few sharpies. No one else is noticing. Especially not the 3 blind mice upstairs.
It does seem to be more and more commonplace. The Sword Dancer was obvious. A rider trying to win the race would never deliberately give up the path th way the winner's stablemate did.

I don't think coupling solves the problem. That may protect the naive bettor on the rabbit but it does nothing to the trainer and owner to stop them from pulling the shenanigans. The consequences have to hit those two.

How about knocking down the helped stablemate to last? And a large fine and suspension for the jockey and trainer? We can't allow the jockeys to be beholden to their trainer's wishes just to keep their jobs.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #11
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
It does seem to be more and more commonplace. The Sword Dancer was obvious. A rider trying to win the race would never deliberately give up the path th way the winner's stablemate did.

I don't think coupling solves the problem. That may protect the naive bettor on the rabbit but it does nothing to the trainer and owner to stop them from pulling the shenanigans. The consequences have to hit those two.

How about knocking down the helped stablemate to last? And a large fine and suspension for the jockey and trainer? We can't allow the jockeys to be beholden to their trainer's wishes just to keep their jobs.
To be fair, I see plenty of horses moving out the way when they are spent for other horses. It drives me crazy but it is pretty commonplace. What we don't see is them moving out sharply and banging into other horses.

As for consequences...this was discussed in another thread. If horses are coupled and one half of the entry commits a foul that helps the other, both can be DQed.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 11:06 AM   #12
MonmouthParkJoe

I find myself questioning rides too, but unfortunately I will never be able to "walk in a mile in their shoes". I have never been a jock nor will I ever be, so questioning split second decisions on rides doesnt help. Like Andy said, it was a poor ride, but I cant imagine Irad wasnt trying to win the race. Add to that, Saratoga and NYRA racing in general is under a microscope on a daily basis. I just cant see it.

As far as the rabbit goes, we know why they are in there. Coupling would protect the bettor, but at the same time it has been hard to fill many of these graded stakes races, so would it make sense to have a short field with several coupled?

The nice thing with horse racing is the next day presents new opportunities. If you have that much of a problem, speak with your wallet. Complaining on a message board doesnt have the same impact.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #13
Grits

Quote:
The nice thing with horse racing is the next day presents new opportunities. If you have that much of a problem, speak with your wallet. Complaining on a message board doesnt have the same impact.
Well stated. The wisest words I've read, whether here, twitter, blogs, or elsewhere. .... Nothing anyone wrote after the race, nothing anyone writes going forward is going to change the order of finish of this race. They've crossed the wire. It's done. We're into the last week of Saratoga. Enjoy it, or take time off.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
Grits

On a side note. Speaking of Flintshire, who I absolutely love. If you have a FB account, go to TVG's page, and take a look at the 20 second video of him. ..... He is so kind, so gentle, (even in his eyes) eating an apple out of one of Chad's groom's hands. One wrong bite, and the groom could have multiple broken fingers, but no, not with this fella. He's amazing!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2016, 12:25 PM   #15
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
To be fair, I see plenty of horses moving out the way when they are spent for other horses. It drives me crazy but it is pretty commonplace. What we don't see is them moving out sharply and banging into other horses.

As for consequences...this was discussed in another thread. If horses are coupled and one half of the entry commits a foul that helps the other, both can be DQed.
Unless I was seeing things, I could've sworn the jockey looked over his shoulder to find his stablemate then moved out, so don't really think this is comparable to other circumstances for that reason.

But getting a spent horse out of the way of others brings up the issue of how safe it is to allow these rabbits/stablemates to go out and run on or near the front, knowing they're going to spend their horse, and then the ones behind them have to get out of his way or be in jeopardy of clipping heels and worse.

I don't know if the punishment should just be levied for a foul. While we may all know that horses sometimes have to be raced into shape or a trainer maybe has to race in a spot because he can't get the spot he wants, at the upper level at least, the horses should all be in there to win, so I'd make the punishment for not riding to win or finish as well as possible.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply