Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-18-2021, 04:05 AM   #46
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i built over 500 homes in my better days, all of them had basements and there was plenty of insulation between the frame and the walls. every frame that i built also had wind corners. i would guess that the homes in Texas are built on slabs without basements.

its really unfortunate that this had to happen to Texas because they are probably the largest growing state in the country.
Practically every house built here since 1970 is on a slab. Mine is pier and beam, wouldn't have it any other way. My first house I bought was on slab. Never again.

For all Texans that made fun of cali for their blackouts, karma came calling. Hate to see anyone suffer, political games hurt everyone.

Wish I could buy one of your homes here. Sounds like they were of high quality. Our next and last home will be a 19th century Victorian. Just waiting on the right one to come along in the right location in east Texas. The wife won't settle for anything less or different. So....
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2021, 05:40 AM   #47
lamboguy

my house is an old victorian that was built by a US Senator back in 1899, which makes this a historical house. from there the house was sold to the Archdiocese of Boston. the cardinal lived there. during their tenure they had put 3 additions on the house, one connected to the other one without touching the original structure.

the person that bought the house from the archdiocese got it re-zoned into a 4 family. i bought the house in 1997 planning to be here for maybe 5 years years. i wound up getting re-married and my wife liked the place so she didn't wan to move.

i went back to the zoning board to get approved to knock down the additions to the house and rebuild it back up so that it didn't look so crazy...the zoning board and building department approved my plans and i just needed the blessing of the neighborhood association. the neighborhood association has 5 members on the board. i went in front of them 3 different times and my application was denied by a 3-2 vote every time. each time i came up with a different plan that was supposed to satisfy the dissenting members. eventually the head of the board told me that she will never approve any changes whatsoever on my property and that she has 2 other members that will always go along with her. so i am waiting for either her to resign or another member to leave the board before i go for another hearing. at some point if i get the approval, i can either do the work or sell the house to a developer with the approvals. without the approval i will be selling the property at a discount. my house sits on 15,000 square feet of land and the structure has 8000 square feet of living space. my project will ex[and the living space by an additional 3000 feet and the place should look a lot better.

at my last meeting it was done on a virtual zoom meeting. there were over 50 different abutters or neighborhood members that pleaded for my approval. i never asked for that or even let them know there was a hearing, but they did show up and supported my project.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2021, 02:53 PM   #48
Rohirrim
Veteran

Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2021, 04:16 PM   #49
xtb
Ultra MAGA "Gun Bitch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I hope Ted stays safe down there.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #50
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
I hope Ted stays safe down there.
I’ll bet there were lots of Texans hoping Ted would stay down there.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #51
xtb
Ultra MAGA "Gun Bitch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
I’ll bet there were lots of Texans hoping Ted would stay down there.
You should probably ask a Texan before saying such a thing.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:54 PM   #52
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
my house is an old victorian that was built by a US Senator back in 1899, which makes this a historical house. from there the house was sold to the Archdiocese of Boston. the cardinal lived there. during their tenure they had put 3 additions on the house, one connected to the other one without touching the original structure.

the person that bought the house from the archdiocese got it re-zoned into a 4 family. i bought the house in 1997 planning to be here for maybe 5 years years. i wound up getting re-married and my wife liked the place so she didn't wan to move.

i went back to the zoning board to get approved to knock down the additions to the house and rebuild it back up so that it didn't look so crazy...the zoning board and building department approved my plans and i just needed the blessing of the neighborhood association. the neighborhood association has 5 members on the board. i went in front of them 3 different times and my application was denied by a 3-2 vote every time. each time i came up with a different plan that was supposed to satisfy the dissenting members. eventually the head of the board told me that she will never approve any changes whatsoever on my property and that she has 2 other members that will always go along with her. so i am waiting for either her to resign or another member to leave the board before i go for another hearing. at some point if i get the approval, i can either do the work or sell the house to a developer with the approvals. without the approval i will be selling the property at a discount. my house sits on 15,000 square feet of land and the structure has 8000 square feet of living space. my project will ex[and the living space by an additional 3000 feet and the place should look a lot better.

at my last meeting it was done on a virtual zoom meeting. there were over 50 different abutters or neighborhood members that pleaded for my approval. i never asked for that or even let them know there was a hearing, but they did show up and supported my project.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M82364-58268

Here's one of the 2 houses we looked at and almost bought. This was too damn big, actual sq ftg is 5200sf. But the house was unreal. Upstairs had a 35x20 ballroom with a full bar with brass foot rails for the bar stools. A library with a sliding stair. 3 car garage, house built in 1890. Was hard to turn down.

Marshall Tx has a lot of those kind of houses. Another was near the 1rst Baptist church, 4/3,built in 1895. Needed a ton of work but was built solid as a rock. We really WANTED that one but was outbid. It needed over 50k of work done and would have been worth it. Awesome house. Unfortunately the people that wound up buying it trashed it out. Disappointed in that, it's a beautiful Victorian

Glad your home had a happy ending. We're looking for a similar house with a similar outcome
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
Old 02-18-2021, 05:00 PM   #53
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
You should probably ask a Texan before saying such a thing.
I am a Texan.
Old 02-18-2021, 05:14 PM   #54
xtb
Ultra MAGA "Gun Bitch"

Quote:
I am a Texan.
In the words of Emily Litella, "Never mind".
Old 02-18-2021, 05:55 PM   #55
ElKabong

Quote:
I am a Texan.
Where abouts? I thought you'd posted you lived out of state but owned property here
Old 02-18-2021, 06:13 PM   #56
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

He lives in numerous states and votes early and often.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:33 PM   #57
Marshall Bennett

I like Ted and he's a brilliant politician, but leaving the country when your state's experiencing a disaster ain't too brilliant. Democrats are having a field day over it, almost as much fun as seeing Texans suffer.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2021, 06:38 PM   #58
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Where abouts? I thought you'd posted you lived out of state but owned property here
Lubbock. Have long ties to Texas. Went to high school/grad school there. Have owned property and a business for about 15 years. Changed my domicile to Texas before the election. Voting as a CA resident no longer makes much sense, regardless of party.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #59
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
He lives in numerous states and votes early and often.
No. But I do vote in national elections of a few countries.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:59 PM   #60
xtb
Ultra MAGA "Gun Bitch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
I like Ted and he's a brilliant politician, but leaving the country when your state's experiencing a disaster ain't too brilliant. Democrats are having a field day over it, almost as much fun as seeing Texans suffer.
I know the dems are loving this but what authority does a U.S. senator have in the state they represent? Wouldn't any decisions during an emergency be up to the governor?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: