Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #31
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Personally, I think the replays should be made available, just edit out parts where horses go down or are still able to be seen while injured. Would take very little time to do that, no idea why racing doesn't do that.
I've seen a number of tracks do this on the replays of the previous day before the races start. That's what we do I believe, is just right before the accident happens just pop our logo over the video until it's off the screen.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #32
OntheRail

The blind mice...

...did not see it. Really!

"We have an alert system," Zimny said. "It's functional, with sirens and lights. It wasn't broken Saturday night. Up until two years ago we only had an audible warning system, but on our own volition installed warning lights on the four corners of the track. Both are activated from the same spot."

The warning system is activated by the clocker—but only if told to do so by the stewards, who are located about 20 feet away in another room on the roof of Charles Town.

"The clocker was told by the stewards (that the signal to activate the warning system) must come from them," Zimny said. "He was just following stewards' orders. Our guys did what they were told."

The stewards apparently didn't see the loose horse run back up the homestretch and into the path of the oncoming horses, or when they did, it was too late. Zimny said a WVRC official indicated the stewards told him they should have been more proactive and have requested Charles Town place a warning-system activation mechanism in their booth.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz3M0jvERdM
Old 12-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #33
proximity

a horse is a front runner. did he get out of the gate again in this race? or did he suddenly linger at the start and never make a move? without a final time we'll never have a raceshape or a final timeform number but possibly some other players can use these clues to continue to evaluate the form of some of the competing horses even if we don't?

a more pressing question for the rest of the card or the following day might be what jockeys went down in the race?

so there are some examples. maybe you don't or won't use this information and it's not the biggest deal in the world. like i said, certainly not a "wolf" issue. but still stuff that should be accessible to the players.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #34
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

I can't tell you how many times I will watch a replay when I see a horse dumped a jock.

Have uncovered many winners or validated prior form by watching how the horse ran without a jock. Yea, I know weight off helps but when a horse is off ten lengths slow, goes 15 wide and dominates, it's a good sign.

So, I'm with those that say the replay should be available and there should be a chart.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #35
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
I've seen a number of tracks do this on the replays of the previous day before the races start. That's what we do I believe, is just right before the accident happens just pop our logo over the video until it's off the screen.
Cool, they should. I can't tell you the last time I've been at a track early enough to see replays, just going by what I've seen online. I'll confess I haven't watched many from Portland.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #36
martini

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Have uncovered many winners or validated prior form by watching how the horse ran without a jock.
I will always remember Fort Larned dumping his jock in the GP Handicap (G2). Sure, he was a champ before then, but it was impressive to learn about the Trakus data once he ditched his rider:

http://www.americasbestracing.net/en...ort-larned-run
martini is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2014, 01:44 AM   #37
ultracapper

Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I will watch a replay when I see a horse dumped a jock.

Have uncovered many winners or validated prior form by watching how the horse ran without a jock. Yea, I know weight off helps but when a horse is off ten lengths slow, goes 15 wide and dominates, it's a good sign.

So, I'm with those that say the replay should be available and there should be a chart.
Me too. Tells you a lot about the horse. How (s)he runs without instructions from the jock. Does the horse just drop in with the crowd? Is the horse a big "A" personality and blast to the front and refuse to be headed as long as possible? I've had some very nice hits on horses that have dumped their jock in a previous race and from that race learned what kind a horse he is and then come upon the right race for him to compete in a manner that fits his personality.

There is an Abrams-trained horse named Marina del Heat. Couple years ago she dumped Chantal Sutherland right out of the gate. You can totally tell what kind of a horse she is just watching her run around the track that day. Big "A" personality.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #38
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Going off topic but I can't resist.....

I would LOVE to bet a 9 race card with..............NO PINHEADS.

Line em up, open the gate and let's see which horse is not only more talented but more intelligent.

No more choking down, no more stupid 5 wide moves into no flow/pace after choking down my lone speed etc.

Would be fun. Just place 15 outriders past the finish line and lasso them back in
Old 12-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #39
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini
I will always remember Fort Larned dumping his jock in the GP Handicap (G2). Sure, he was a champ before then, but it was impressive to learn about the Trakus data once he ditched his rider:

http://www.americasbestracing.net/en...ort-larned-run
That was impressive! I remember that race like it was yesterday ! Great point.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #40
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper
Me too. Tells you a lot about the horse. How (s)he runs without instructions from the jock. Does the horse just drop in with the crowd? Is the horse a big "A" personality and blast to the front and refuse to be headed as long as possible? I've had some very nice hits on horses that have dumped their jock in a previous race and from that race learned what kind a horse he is and then come upon the right race for him to compete in a manner that fits his personality.

There is an Abrams-trained horse named Marina del Heat. Couple years ago she dumped Chantal Sutherland right out of the gate. You can totally tell what kind of a horse she is just watching her run around the track that day. Big "A" personality.
You're 1000% right. One of the few nuggets left..... that no computer program, sheet # or fig maker can quantify.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #41
LAP_520

Entries for Charles Town Race 4 on December 13, 2014

http://www.equibase.com/static/entry...EQB.html#RACE4

Follow up story on the accident in Paulick Report.

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ra...-charles-town/
LAP_520 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2014, 09:01 AM   #42
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
That was impressive! I remember that race like it was yesterday ! Great point.
If memory serves, he ran poorly next out.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #43
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Maybe he bounced off that over the top effort? (reason to play against next out)

Nevertheless, it just validated what a ceiling this horse had, which he validated over the course of his career.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #44
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:

Line em up, open the gate and let's see which horse is not only more talented but more intelligent.

No more choking down, no more stupid 5 wide moves into no flow/pace after choking down my lone speed etc.

Would be fun. Just place 15 outriders past the finish line and lasso them back in
The problem is all horses are pinheads.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #45
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

Here's more ways the jock hurts the bettor.

1) "Giving" horses races, its random when a jock decides to give them education and when the jock rides like he has 10k to win.

2) Without the weight of the pinhead on the back of the horse, horses would stay more sound, there would be very few if any breakdowns or catastrophic injuries, horses wouldn't snap legs if they were running free without a pinhead hitting them, pushing them and banging on them with 120 lbs right on the small of the horse's back. we would have a LOT more large fields, plus, owners would have more money as the percentage of what the jock made would go back into the pockets of the owners and thus, be reinvested into the game.....they wouldn't go for cuban cigars, high priced hookers and new cars for jocks.

3) you would never get disqualified, they would just pay off the results like they do in dog racing.

Any questions?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply