Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-03-2005, 10:30 AM   #1
Ron

Pat Day retired...

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/tod...56471&subsec=2

I wish him the best.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
turfbar
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron

OMG My dreams have come true
turfbar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
rokitman
Registered BSer

And, if Pat Day retiring was not enough of a blessing, Jenna Wheeler is now single!
rokitman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2005, 10:58 AM   #4
Valuist

Yeah 8800 wins is really lousy.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitman
And, if Pat Day retiring was not enough of a blessing, Jenna Wheeler is now single!
Yeah Jenna's (one of the Buehlah Twins) husband just died in a tragic motorocycle incident leaving her without a husband and their child without a father. I'm sure right now she is looking to hook up with you.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
Wiley
Horse Racing Connossieur

Man a tough crowd. I will miss Pat and wish him well. The guy owned the IL, KY, AR, LA midwest circuit in the '80's. Had his trouble's in the Derby which was always weird given how often he won the riding title at CD, one win in over 20 tries but so have others, Pincay comes to mind. I would say he held his own on the national level but since he never raced extensively on the east and west coasts, at least full time for many years like others, he will never be rated with McCarron, Pincay, Shoemaker, Arcaro, Cordero, Bailey etc.
Favorite ride(s) '84 Wild Again win in the New Orleans Handicap (to this day have never seen a rider get into a horse the way Day did WA to get up for the win think like Tanks Prospect's Preakness only more) and the BC Classic where he had to virtually carry the dying WA to the wire. '87 Travers on Java Gold - beat all of the big boys in a stellar field with a well timed patient ride.
Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2005, 03:52 PM   #7
Topcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
I also wish him well-over 8,000 wins and now he is not retiring to
a life of leisure but is going to work with the backstretch chaplains-and that is tough gig

quite a rider and quite a guy-
Old 08-03-2005, 04:05 PM   #8
SAL

I can't figure out why Pat Day was so despised by so many people. I saw some great rides from him (as well as as some stinkers). But I think he was an excellent rider and I wish him well with his new vocation.
SAL is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
chrisg

Wink

Best wishes to Pat Day; hope life only gets better.

Now, would someone please introduce Jose Santos to God
chrisg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2005, 05:56 PM   #10
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Another "Big" loss to the racing world,Was a outstanding rider over the years,Was respected and sought after to ride by many horsemen.Racing fans will miss his coveted finishes and horsemen will miss his love for the horse, Pat is a very unselfish man wanting to help the backstretch ministry with getting the lives of many a backstretcher on the path of righteoustness.Good luck Pat...God Bless You!
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2005, 06:13 PM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitman
Real class.......

The local television stations showed his body covered with a sheet laying in the break down lane, at least a hundred times Monday afternoon and again last night. The freeway was shut down for the entire morning. One of the guys who work for me said that he was passed by him on the freeway about a mile from where he crashed. he said that the biker was weaving thru morning rush hour at 80-100 miles an hour. He rear ended a Dump Truck ........damn shame.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:19 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

On the topic................ With Pat Day gone........does my autograph picture from the Haskell in 2003 go up in value?

I would think that the odds board will be directly affected (is that the right one?) by Day being retired...........
Old 08-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #13
joeyspicks

I'll miss Pat Day..

He was one of the good ones (in every sense). He most certainly could tick you off if you thought he "waited too long" on your horse.....but day in and day out he gave a consistently good ride.

Racing could certainly use more like him!
joeyspicks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2005, 08:52 PM   #14
kenwoodallpromos

Day

Going from the sport of kings to the "king of kings"! Honorable.
Now for the joke: maybe with Day and later Bailey retired, we can have a TC winning horse again!
Old 08-03-2005, 09:50 PM   #15
Suff
Beat up 💪

Apprenticeship at RockingHam Park.

Pat Day . Big Time serious guy about helping people.....His backside missionary has helped many. He's ridden everywhere in support of it. He's a guy who had a monstrous transformation through Jesus Christ. Great example of a Christian.

I razzed him last year.. honestly not bad if you ask me. Storm C was there... it was minor... Can't win in NY...When you going to win a big one? Day called security!!! Not in a big way.. he asked a gaurd to ask me to pipe down. By that time I had been talking to the Gaurd for two hours. All Baseball. He thought it was funny to.

I guess that's not how they do it in Kentucky. When I razz you.. I like you. I don't razz Jara. Funnier even... 3 weeks later I took this picture with him in the Jockeys room at Saratoga!

http://www.paceadvantage.com/gallery...taway/P0001581

I heard through the grapvine that Day called NYRA and said if SUFF is allowed back at Saratoga He'll boycott and retire!. So I can only say one thing. Enjoy your Retirement Pat! Don't mess with the KING!
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply