Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-12-2024, 03:34 PM   #91
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Ok, when I said this in this thread………you guys gave me shit about it. I find myself in good company today…… CLICK THE LINK

https://redstate.com/bonchie/2024/01...trump-n2168631

“ What Trump essentially did was declare the highest value he thought he could, knowing that the bank would likely disagree and offer less. That is exactly what happened, and in the end, the bank was paid back per the terms it agreed to. No bank simply accepts at face value an appraisal offered by a borrower.

O'Leary's point is that how things happened is how things always happen in real estate development. But because Trump is involved, the rules have suddenly changed, with James deciding it is now fraud to essentially negotiate an asset's value with a bank. That she secured a laughably biased judge who borders on parody at times is the only reason this case has gotten this far. ”

I think he hit the nail on the head when he said this case will never survive an appeal. Rightfully so.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:53 PM   #92
Inner Dirt

I am not going to research this but the whole thing seems odd. The bank took his word for everything and didn't even look anything up? I could understand not wanting to send an appraiser out to all of his holdings, but you could quickly do internet searches to get a rough estimate of values.
Especially with Trump having zero morals when it comes to business.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2024, 04:40 PM   #93
davew

why did they even have a trial? the judge already decided he was GUILTY before it began with his 'summary judgement'.

was it so Letitia James could decide her FINE was not big enough and should be $371 MILLION instead of $250 MILLION ????
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2024, 07:20 PM   #94
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
This whole thing was an episode of Sienfeld.
A Fraud Trial With No Victims!
No victim, no crime
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2024, 06:00 PM   #95
mountainman

Nothing sophisticated or super-informed about this opinion-but the prosecution of Trump has begun to strike me as a lose/lose proposition for team democrat.

Do sufficient legal damage that he can't run at all, and the whole "orange man very bad" narrative evaporates, leaving the left naked and forced to focus on and defend Biden's record. Conversely, failure to disqualify or jail Trump means they have simply super-charged his already zealous base and quite possibly attracted some fence-sitters who might then perceive the criminal charges as a manipulative attempt to secure the presidency in court.

Many smarter observers than me no doubt see this differently, but i think these prosecutions will backfire.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-13-2024 at 06:03 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2024, 06:17 PM   #96
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Nothing sophisticated or super-informed about this opinion-but the prosecution of Trump has begun to strike me as a lose/lose proposition for team democrat.

Do sufficient legal damage that he can't run at all, and the whole "orange man very bad" narrative evaporates, leaving the left naked and forced to focus on and defend Biden's record. Conversely, failure to disqualify or jail Trump means they have simply super-charged his already zealous base and quite possibly attracted some fence-sitters who might then perceive the criminal charges as a manipulative attempt to secure the presidency in court.

Many smarter observers than me no doubt see this differently, but i think these prosecutions will backfire.
i agree 100%. the best thing the Democrats could have done was keep their mouths shut and stop all this nonsense. i have never in my life heard of such a bazaar case as the one going on in New York right now that is going to force Trump out of New York and penalize him science fiction numbers.

the federal case looks like a ticky tak foul. however, the one in Georgia seems to have plenty of merit to it.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2024, 08:41 PM   #97
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i agree 100%. the best thing the Democrats could have done was keep their mouths shut and stop all this nonsense. i have never in my life heard of such a bazaar case as the one going on in New York right now that is going to force Trump out of New York and penalize him science fiction numbers.

the federal case looks like a ticky tak foul. however, the one in Georgia seems to have plenty of merit to it.
if it does not get overturned on appeal, I suspect many will follow leaving NY. The commercial real estate buyers will have many walk away with banks holding the note.

The Georgia case might get thrown out because the greedy AG paying her boyfriend triple rate so he can take her on trips around the world ...
Old 01-14-2024, 12:36 AM   #98
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Every company does it, mostly for real estate purposes.
Maybe if you don’t have eyes on you.

Trump does.
Old 02-16-2024, 03:47 PM   #99
davew

Letitia James wins her shakedown of TRUMP org.

such a great outcome for NY
Old 02-16-2024, 05:05 PM   #100
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

On the upside, NYC is now a shithole, SA gangs are taking over the streets, city has no hope to recover because all their judicial system TOTALLY ignored REAL problems and the AG literally spent every day in faux court.

Remember at the end of Planet of the Apes when Charleton Heston found the head of the staue of liberty on the beech and blamed nuclear war?

It wasn't nukes, it was just NYC destroying itself.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:02 AM   #101
davew

NYC following Venezuela model of asset theft

Old 03-23-2024, 10:49 AM   #102
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post

100% agree.

All this has done is make rational people in the middle see the left as scarier to free speech and freedom than they were already perceived. They can see the double standard and political motivation in all this and project into the future that this time it’s Trump but next time it’s going to be someone less controversial.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:51 PM   #103
Stevecsd2

Letitia James has now been proven to be a complete hypocrite (not that we couldn't have figured it out before.) In a case similar to Trump's she supported the people who inflated the value of the Irish Society building against someone who loaned them money and now wants his money back.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/17/opinio...-tTaHrqGv130rY
Stevecsd2 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2024, 03:33 PM   #104
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Whitman View Post
the truth of the matter is that if this was anyone other than Trump, no one would give a fuck. this is strictly a political deal.

they probably spent about $10 million to go after him. they needed Trump to hire a rotten lawyer to win. if he puts up his money the judgement should get overturned for plenty of legal reasons.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply