Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-06-2005, 06:14 PM   #16
tholl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I caught a 9 year old at MTR a few times that made me some serious jack...........his name was "Rockmill Two" anybody with a database look that guy up and see when he last ran. I don't think he runs anymore........But he always ran his heart out..........and seemed to relish it...........at least from what I could perceive from the TV screen, it seemed he liked it..........hell, he might have been spitting fire back at the barn.........at 9 years old.
He last raced Dec 28 2003 at the age of eleven; three days short of being twelve. However he really looked ready to be retired. He placed a few times but could not win at ten and eleven and his last few starts were horrible.
Lifetime: 91-9-17-15 $122,660
tholl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2005, 07:57 PM   #17
frankfig

I dont see any problem running him in that spot,or at that track. You cant even come close to calling him a great horse ! He is a solid sprinter who could still win some races and if he is sound he could win a stakes race or 2 in the winter at aqueduct
frankfig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2005, 08:05 PM   #18
The Hawk

I think the problem that some people have with this is that they think NY is a major circuit and CT is a bush circuit. In actuality, CT racing is excellent, and the purses are strong, obviously. In fact, I'd bet these same guys would have no problem with this horse running in a similar allowance in NY...except a race with these conditions would never fill in NY.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2005, 08:36 PM   #19
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholl
He last raced Dec 28 2003 at the age of eleven; three days short of being twelve. However he really looked ready to be retired. He placed a few times but could not win at ten and eleven and his last few starts were horrible.Lifetime: 91-9-17-15 $122,660
Thanks Tholl. This guy was a hard knocker. if my half ass math is right, he was in the money almost half of his starts and won around 10% of starts. Not bad really. I wonder where he is now.......... I am afraid to ask.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:46 PM   #20
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

hard enough for these owners to not lose their ass, without placing some kind of weird restriction on them. If they've got a gelding that can run some, I say run him till he can't. I've got no problem with these guys recouping some of their losses...assuming the horse isn't suffering.

You should be glad I didn't own Cigar..he would have toured the Fair Circuit, no doubt. Ferndale Marathon, baby. Shake You Down, Eel River Sprint..4K added.
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2005, 10:11 PM   #21
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Why should the horse be retired?

I'm not so sure Emmit Smith, Jerry Rice, or Doug Flutie would agree with you, by the way!

Jerry Rice might! He retired today.

What do you call a 7 yo gelding at Finer Lakes?
A juvinile!
Old 09-07-2005, 10:04 AM   #22
Valuist

It was a classified allowance race and he won easily. It's not like he's running for $10,000 now. He apparently still can run pretty good; maybe not BC Sprint worthy but definitely still solid. I see no reason to retire him now.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2006, 02:13 PM   #23
Suff
Beat up 💪

NYRA did and I suppose still does, have a "Horses of Racing Age" sale. It goes on right on the grounds. Very similiar to the yearling sales you see at Keeneland and the like. They parade 6,7 and 8 year old horses out for private sale.

You see some real old warriors on the NY Circuit that are put up for chump change when they can't compete there for serious money any longer.

They put out a catalogue for it. You can call the racing office and get yourself put on the Mailing list. I remember thumbing through it and seeing GIANTS similiar to Shake you Down that were being run out for 8,9 10 grand. Some other very talented allowance horse's just two years ago that were being fire saled for 4 and 5 grand.

When I flip through I remember certain races/horses that I bet on, horses I liked from a fans perspective and so on. It was a bit disappointing sometimes to see a horse go from the BIG STAGE to an OFF OFF OFF BROADWAY production like C=Town, Suffolk downs etc....

At the same time..I have seen many, literally hundreds over the years, BIG PRICE horses that never made it to NY, FL, KY or CA. Two years ago at Suffolk, Burton Sipp had two horses in his stable that sold for $750,000.00 and $500,000.00 respectivley, at Kentucky Auctions, that never ran for more than 10 Grand in thier life due to Injury, or Growth iregularities.

Imagine spending almost a Million dollars to buy a Yearling and get him ready to race at 2 or 3 Years old, and he makes his debut at 4 in a MDCLM5000 at Suffolk Downs? Thats heartbreaking as well.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #24
Doc

Did he run already, or is he entered to run? The link to DRF.com in the second post doesn't work...and I can't find him either in the entries or results. I went back as far as the 4th.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #25
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
Did he run already, or is he entered to run? The link to DRF.com in the second post doesn't work...and I can't find him either in the entries or results. I went back as far as the 4th.
The thread was 5+ months old. I was just browsing through old threads and felt like commenting.

I have no idea what Shake You Down is up to nowadays
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #26
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

He ran 4th of 5 in a conditioned allowance at Belmont on October 10th at 5-2.
He easily won a conditioned allowance at Laurel on January 9th at 6-5.
He then ran 3rd in a conditioned allowance at Laurel on February 1st at even money.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2006, 09:57 AM   #27
tahoesid

Looks like 20031228 at MNR for Rockmill Two
tahoesid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #28
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Why should the horse be retired?

Sure, he may have lost a few steps, though judging by last night, not too many. But, unless you have some inside info that the horse is injured, and not just getting old, I see no reason not to run the horse. Maybe the horse actually likes racing, as many of them do.

I'm not so sure Emmit Smith, Jerry Rice, or Doug Flutie would agree with you, by the way!
Most horses especially older geldings LOVE to run,I myself won 5 out of 9 and 3 in a row with 10yo's.Believe it or not..SOME are even mad that they got beat!!
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #29
twindouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I caught a 9 year old at MTR a few times that made me some serious jack...........his name was "Rockmill Two" anybody with a database look that guy up and see when he last ran. I don't think he runs anymore........But he always ran his heart out..........and seemed to relish it...........at least from what I could perceive from the TV screen, it seemed he liked it..........hell, he might have been spitting fire back at the barn.........at 9 years old.
I lost a few steps as well, look where I'm at now. Just kidding, I like it here and I'm sure as heck not going to quit the game.
twindouble is offline   Reply With Quote Reply