Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 05-15-2017, 01:33 AM   #1
bigeastbeast

Hasn't the Meadowlands proven that good horses are not needed?

Compare the money bet there compared to what is being wagered at Yonkers where the better horses and drivers race because the purses are much larger.

The handle at the Meadowlands is what it is because most people are off from work the following day.They'll bet on anything as long as it's consistent.Quality is irrelevant.There can't be that many people who prefer the big tracks over the half milers.
bigeastbeast is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
wilderness

I'll bite

Not sure what they've proven?
1) Their only racing two days a week and that proves nothing, except their on life-support.
2) It's the only mile track in the East (beyond Lexington).
3) M1 has taken horses away from Freehold (was already bleeding) by writing lesser condition races because the wagering base at M1 cannot compete with the racino-purses (Hawthorne, Maywood and Balmoral did (early 90's) the same thing by copying race conditions (NWXPMCalimers) and taking horses away from Fairmount (promoting Fairmount's demise, and eventually their own).
4) The major stables stay in close proximity because of the major stakes held at M1.

IMO, the only thing M1 has proven is that ten (10)-horse fields offer better pools and wagering interest (even though M1 has difficulty maintaining ten-horse fields in the overnights), and that was already known (for decades).
Freehold races more days than M1 (for far lesser purses and stakes), and yet the handle at Freehold is more substantial than many racino tracks.
Why KILL Freehold?

With all that said, it's a gallant effort to save The Meadowlands, and that perspective of the sport.

NY, Ohio, PA and Ind are all racing five days a week. Course their racinos.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:49 AM   #3
baconswitchfarm

It has been proven a long time that quality of horses is not a necessity . Northfield out handled most other harness tracks while racing horses worth a dollar for twenty years.
baconswitchfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #4
wilderness

Northfield is a very unique instance.

Some twenty years ago, as the simulcast hubs (and their multiple fees) were developing, all tracks and hubs were increasing their fees to the receiving tracks.
Northfield, on the other hand, reduced their fees and developed their own market share that assured increased handle. Albeit at a lesser profit margin. It seems to have worked, because it keep the track in business until the racino finally opened.
Whether Northfield holds that the same perspective (racino's lack of regard) in the years to come will be seen!
Old 05-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #5
jtschmidt

I do not think Big M handle is that strong compared to the past few years. Does anybody have stats?

Great point on writing lower conditions too. I have noticed that over past season or so.
jtschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
chaz63

Los Al has proved it. $250K Pick 4's for 3500CLM's and QH's. They're kicking SA's butt for heaven's sake.....
chaz63 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
wilderness

chaz,
Not that it matters, however your mistaken.
Los Alamitos May 12
Attendance:634
Mutuel Pool: $72,864.00
ITW Mutuel Pool: $209,637.00
ISW Mutuel Pool: $660,900.00

Santa Anita May 11
Track Attendance: 3039
Handle: $526,251
ITW = intra-state wagering Handle: $1,162,199
ISW = inter-state wagering Handle: $3,183,319
Old 05-17-2017, 07:49 AM   #8
MutuelClerk

I used to love betting Meadowlands. Now I bet there twice a year. Pace Night and Hambo Day. Most of my action, and it's not much goes to Mohawk.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #9
Jess Hawsen Arown

Most of my action remains at the Meadowlands because of the information available. Am I correct that no other track besides the Meadowlands makes qualifiers available on line?

Yes, their handle has dropped, but they still offer the most bang for the buck for harness race wagering.

I believe another reason for significant drops in handle at other tracks is the inability to get information. The crumby Harness Racing books provided at simo outlets do not provide trainer change information.

In addition, for some bizarr-o reason, they think that a table of driver and trainer stats for the day's performers is worth providing. That information is already available in their pps. What IS NOT available is driver changes from drivers NOT racing on the day's card. How frustrating is it to play a track that you normally don't follow, and see a driver change and have no idea if it is good or bad because the FROM driver is not racing on that day--and you never heard of him.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply