Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:02 PM   #241
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
Why is it the employer's responsibility to deal with that problem?
It's not mine either. I'm sure they can get off their ass and do the work themselves if the employer does not like it. That's how we ran our family business when I worked for my dad years ago. They can get off the golf course or out of their shiny little office and flip burgers if they don't like it. I don't give a F^ck. Like I said I don't live there, could care less. But I do know by the time the rest of the state does this it won't amount to a hill of beans because its 5 and 1/2 years away.......its either that or give them food stamps and all the other bullshit......that's not MY problem why should I pay for that? McDonalds, Burger King and the rest of them including Wal Mart should pay at least a living wage. Why should I and the rest of us subsidize their crappy business? So I can get a bunch of crap for 99 cents and then pay these people so they can eat and get health care? They get the profit and privilege of a business here, don't hand me the bill to keep their employees afloat. That's what a lot of people fail to realize, if these ass clown corporations don't pay these people.....we have to. Its not just Obama like the jack asses on here think, its been going on since the 70's. Most of the people that collect all that stuff.....already have jobs. Why are other citizens subsiding that.......so yeah, its their problem......not mine.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #242
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
wages will slowly rise. The people who rule us are doing a brilliant job of keeping them down, so those who are upset about raises in minimum wage have very little to worry about.
Wages are not rising, and I doubt it's "the rulers" who are pulling all the strings. It's more likely due to supply and demand.

http://www.epi.org/publication/stagnant-wages-in-2014/

Wages are actually declining, except where propped up by artificial means (minimum wage hikes) or at the very top, where skimming profits is expected. The declining economy will have a bigger impact on wages, and it is declining....
Old 07-24-2015, 12:01 PM   #243
Clocker

Unable to get a minimum wage increase through the state senate, NY governor used executive action to increase wages for large fast food chains. Only chains with more than 30 franchises nationally will be affected. The increase to $15/hour will be phased in over 3 years in NYC and 6 years for the rest of the state.

Another leap forward in making NY business friendly and attracting new firms to the state.

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/07/2...cutive-action/
Old 07-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #244
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
Unable to get a minimum wage increase through the state senate, NY governor used executive action to increase wages for large fast food chains. Only chains with more than 30 franchises nationally will be affected. The increase to $15/hour will be phased in over 3 years in NYC and 6 years for the rest of the state.

Another leap forward in making NY business friendly and attracting new firms to the state.

http://hotair.com/archives/2015/07/2...cutive-action/
Brilliant.

I've been wondering though how this affects the restaurants where tipping was the norm. I could see that many decide to no longer tip since they're making such a large hourly wage.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #245
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
Brilliant.

I've been wondering though how this affects the restaurants where tipping was the norm. I could see that many decide to no longer tip since they're making such a large hourly wage.
An article linked earlier in this thread said that some restaurants in Seattle were adding a surcharge to cover the increase in wages, and that people were tipping less.

This increase in NY only covers large fast food chains, and I can't imagine those chains will let it go into effect without a court challenge. Singling out a relatively small sector like that without legal justification has got to be undue discrimination.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:16 PM   #246
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
.......its either that or give them food stamps and all the other bullshit......that's not MY problem why should I pay for that? McDonalds, Burger King and the rest of them including Wal Mart should pay at least a living wage. Why should I and the rest of us subsidize their crappy business? So I can get a bunch of crap for 99 cents and then pay these people so they can eat and get health care? They get the profit and privilege of a business here, don't hand me the bill to keep their employees afloat. That's what a lot of people fail to realize, if these ass clown corporations don't pay these people.....we have to. Its not just Obama like the jack asses on here think, its been going on since the 70's. Most of the people that collect all that stuff.....already have jobs. Why are other citizens subsiding that.......so yeah, its their problem......not mine.
So the burden of feeding, clothing and providing shelter to an unskilled employee should be the responsibility of the employer? I guess if the government does such a poor job of educating people to be productive and self-sufficient they will need to push welfare payments to the employers. Could you imagine how much you would have to pay out if these "ass clown corporations" didn't hire anybody? Paying artificially high wages takes away incentive for some people to improve their skills and their marketability in the job market.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #247
classhandicapper

The most ridiculous unintended consequence I read about was that some of the people making the higher minimum wage are asking their employers to give them fewer hours now because if they make over a certain amount they will lose their government benefits. So they aren't even making more money. They are just working less.

If you think this was an unpredictable outcome you are mistaken. I've seen this kind of behavior first hand.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #248
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
So the burden of feeding, clothing and providing shelter to an unskilled employee should be the responsibility of the employer?
Of course. People have a god-given right to a living wage. But those who preach that don't want to pay for it. So stick it to the greedy, evil employer, who can just give up some of his obscene profits and quit exploiting the working class.

Artificially high wages are welfare, funded by consumers. Liberals see taxes used to fund welfare, they are incapable of seeing that higher prices fund minimum wage welfare. So it's free. Just like free health care.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #249
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper

If you think this was an unpredictable outcome you are mistaken. I've seen this kind of behavior first hand.
Contrary to elite liberal beliefs, people aren't stupid. Even low income workers can figure out that it makes common sense to look at total income and benefits, not just wages, and that it is economically rational behavior to work fewer hours for the same income.

This was unpredictable to some of our "leaders", just as it was unpredictable to them that ObamaCare would lead to employers cutting people back to part time and to keeping head counts under 50.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #250
Stillriledup
Veteran

Unless this law actually affects your pay its bad man. Anyone who says 'yeah give them more money' doesn't realize that it's the consumers footing the bill.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #251
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Unless this law actually affects your pay its bad man. Anyone who says 'yeah give them more money' doesn't realize that it's the consumers footing the bill.
Some of them realize it but don't care. A number of unions, especially SEIU, have put a lot of time and money into promoting big increases in minimum wages. They stand to benefit greatly for two reasons. One, $15/hour workers are more likely to unionize than those making $8/hour. Two, even better for the unions, is that many union contracts have their COLA indexed to the minimum wage. When ever the minimum wage goes up, so does their cost of living adjustment.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #252
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Not always. If there is no room to increase prices without an offsetting decrease in demand for the product it will mean that the owner will be hit directly. Of course all business owners are filthy rich and shouldn't be making so much money anyway.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #253
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

As consumers, it is our responsibility to DEMAND $15 and hour quality service from now on.

Send back your Egg McMuffin if it is not toasted enough ( strangely, a very hard thing for most McD's employees to do, toast a muffin. Maybe the $20 an hour people should be doing this hi-tech work).

If your coffee is too hot, and you have legal precedent, send it back - hold up the drive through line, make scene at the counter - ask if your server washed his hand, and then ask for verification.

Complain to the manager if your server is not giving you $15 worth of pleasantness. Point out dirty floors, and you can always find a reason to threaten to call the board of health over the bathrooms.

Have fun....you are paying for it. Remember, only YOU count.