Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #106
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
This show, to me, gets weaker (and therefore more humorous) by the episode.

Now, don't get me wrong. I like the personalities they are showing. I like seeing these jockeys behind the scenes. And is it just me, or was Gary Stevens totally WASTED when he was doing his "Shoe gave it to me, I gave it to Mike, and now Mike is handing it to Joe" routine? Now THAT was priceless!

The production values on this show are simply brutal at times.

But this latest episode brought me to new highs and new lows. When Mike Smith brought out the Holy Bull DVD, I nearly cried. He could have done the sport no greater honor than to praise da' Bull like that...I will NEVER have a bad word to say about Mike Smith EVER, EVER, EVER! He rode Holy Bull, and Holy Bull is the best racehorse that I have ever witnessed in my 21 years of being a crazy-ass fan of this sport.

Now to the lows. When they cut to that totally staged scene of Joe T. watching the DVD, and you hear that B.S. recreated call with Trevor Denman supposedly calling a Holy Bull race...well...I nearly passed out in disgust.

Imagine if you will a recreated "Shot heard round the world" with Tim McCarver...or a "Down goes Frazier" with Steve Albert recreating the famous Howard Cosell line...yeah...now you know how I felt....
PA & DanG...

I also knew Gary S was wasted...I beleive Mike S was feeling no pain either...that was fun to see...as PA said...priceless
I think the show gets better with each episode...just my opinion...

I'd give a lot to see that Holy Bull DVD....maybe someone could get word to whomever to release it into circulation....maybe the Blood Horse (exclusivley Equine) could get it into their video's for sale library...I wanna see it

Glad we may be the only one's that hate the voiced over race calls...and I also got sorta sick when I had to watch Tamaro listen to the DVD with tears in his eyes...give me a break...that was awful geeze!

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #107
JustRalph
Just another Facist

wow, it's amazing what a weekend blizzard will do for the population of the board............

I detest them making this show into the Joe Talamo hour.............
Old 03-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #108
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
wow, it's amazing what a weekend blizzard will do for the population of the board............

I detest them making this show into the Joe Talamo hour.............
justralph....wow...me too....I was getting pretty tired of all the Talamo crap...hope his time in this show won't take much more air time...I do not like this kid...he rubs me the wrong way...arrogant little s**t

Gandalf the Grey
Old 03-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #109
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
justralph....wow...me too....I was getting pretty tired of all the Talamo crap...hope his time in this show won't take much more air time...I do not like this kid...he rubs me the wrong way...arrogant little s**t
After watching him ride that horse that got into two others out of the gate, I thought to myself.......... if Julie Krone was riding one of those other horses.........the Stewards would have been his last worry..........
Old 03-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #110
rrbauer
Both-hands Bettor

The Jock's basketball team misses Kent D.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #111
joanied

Quote:
After watching him ride that horse that got into two others out of the gate, I thought to myself.......... if Julie Krone was riding one of those other horses.........the Stewards would have been his last worry..........
Ya got that right...Julie was my kind of woman...didn't take s**t from the guys...me & Julie woulda got along great
The stewards deciding that incident wasn't worthy for the kid getting days because it was a 2 year old race was a ton of crap...Talamo was very, very lucky someone didn't go down...he's an overconfident ass!

Gandalf the Grey
Old 03-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #112
asH

Watching these stewards gives me incite to why they never disqualify blatant infractions; their judgement (if any) is easily influenced ...that’s scary

Juxtaposed against the call/no call inquiry of a blatant (should have been) disqualification in Sundays 5th race leads to serious questions concerning Santa Anita stewards.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #113
delayjf

I like the show, most people only experience racing from the grandstand, this show offers a peek into one aspect of racing that most people will never see. I worked at the track in College and I rarely even talked to any jockey. I could do with less Talamo and more from the other riders and I'm not sure the Deman calls are necessary, but other than that, I enjoy the show. I'd like to see some more profiles done on other track personalities, maybe we can get them to do a profile on SoCalFan.

Last edited by delayjf; 03-03-2009 at 01:45 PM.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #114
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by asH
Watching these stewards gives me incite to why they never disqualify blatant infractions; their judgement (if any) is easily influenced ...that’s scary

Juxtaposed against the call/no call inquiry of a blatant (should have been) disqualification in Sundays 5th race leads to serious questions concerning Santa Anita stewards.
incite or insight............either way it works..........
Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #115
Imriledup

Quote:
Originally Posted by asH

Racing needs to have a 'war room' that is a national room where the stewards who are in charge of that room are in charge of EVERY track that's running on any given day.

Here's what you gain by having a national 'war room'.

1) You have more than 3 stewards.

2) You have judges who aren't closely affiliated with any local circuit (which means there's more of a chance of no hidden interest or conflict)

3) You make decisions off video only, No interviewing jockeys on the telephone while you are deciding. If you need a jockey's point of view on the phone to make your decision, leave the result stand. Anything that deserves to be disqualified can be DQd on video alone, you don't need to have to worry that a well spoken politician like a Jerry Bailey is going to convince the judges that a jock who can't speak a word of engligh was at fault.

I also believe that Inquiries should be settled the following day. Personally, i would wait until the following day if it means they get the call right. Its perfectly ok for the judges to 'sleep on it' to make sure they don't make a mistake. When you have thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line, you really don't need three 70 year old men making a decision with your future in 2 minutes so they can get the next race off in a timely manner. SO much money on the line means you really need more than 2 minutes to make a really competent decision.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #116
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imriledup
Racing needs to have a 'war room' that is a national room where the stewards who are in charge of that room are in charge of EVERY track that's running on any given day.

Here's what you gain by having a national 'war room'.

1) You have more than 3 stewards.

2) You have judges who aren't closely affiliated with any local circuit (which means there's more of a chance of no hidden interest or conflict)

3) You make decisions off video only, No interviewing jockeys on the telephone while you are deciding. If you need a jockey's point of view on the phone to make your decision, leave the result stand. Anything that deserves to be disqualified can be DQd on video alone, you don't need to have to worry that a well spoken politician like a Jerry Bailey is going to convince the judges that a jock who can't speak a word of engligh was at fault.

I also believe that Inquiries should be settled the following day. Personally, i would wait until the following day if it means they get the call right. Its perfectly ok for the judges to 'sleep on it' to make sure they don't make a mistake. When you have thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line, you really don't need three 70 year old men making a decision with your future in 2 minutes so they can get the next race off in a timely manner. SO much money on the line means you really need more than 2 minutes to make a really competent decision.

I was kind of with you until you suggested waiting til the next day-not realistic
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #117
asH

Quote:
it was inciteful after race 5 sunday...couldnt belive my eyes

Last edited by asH; 03-04-2009 at 06:33 AM.
asH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #118
joanied

Quote:
JustRalph..... Meatloaf? I used to know him...back in 'the day', when he was just getting started. Amazing!!

Gandalf the Grey
Old 03-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #119
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
I'd give a lot to see that Holy Bull DVD....maybe someone could get word to whomever to release it into circulation....maybe the Blood Horse (exclusivley Equine) could get it into their video's for sale library...I wanna see it
If it's the DVD I'm thinking of, I'm lucky enough to have one. It was put out by Jonabell Farm (before they got bought by Darley) as part of their marketing effort for Holy Bull the stallion. I actually have the video tape and the DVD version.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #120
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
If it's the DVD I'm thinking of, I'm lucky enough to have one. It was put out by Jonabell Farm (before they got bought by Darley) as part of their marketing effort for Holy Bull the stallion. I actually have the video tape and the DVD version.
If it's THE one...you are a lucky dude...in that episode, Mike Smith said it had every race the Bull ran...and if it is the same tape/dvd...hey, PA...make some copies for us

Gandalf the Grey