Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Zippy Chippy

My trip report. End of day 2 in kentucky.

SO I arrived yesterday am. Got to the Galt House hotel. I like room but wayyyyyy too many highschoolers. I immediately discovered 4th street live. Awesome! Tons of bars, music, girls. Very fun! (Can't imagine the craziness by Friday)

This morning I went on a georgeous ride to keeneland. Even though it was closed I could appreciate the breathtaking beauty of the place (even the parking lot). On the way back I saw a sign for "big boy". Remember that place from Austin powers. I went there.

I should have gone and seen cigar while I was there. Got back to room and took a ride to Churchill. My GPS died so I was lost in Louisville. I am not joking. I asked 6 people to give me direction to the park and none of them could help. I was amazed. The museum was awesome. The film on the 360 screen was great.

Got back and hit up Caesars Indiana. Actually made some money. Also the waitresses were beautiful.

Tonight I'm just hanging at the coolbar at the hotel (the bar has live fish swimming in it)

Tomorrow going to see cigar And Churchill.

2 days down. 5 to go. So far trip is an A
Zippy Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 01:25 AM   #2
Audioslavery
Journeyman

Sounds like an awesome trip! Have fun this weekend! I can't wait to go down to churchill.
Audioslavery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
tzipi

Sounds like a great time. I would love to go visit Cigar! Enjoy the rest of the week.
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 04:57 AM   #4
kenwoodallpromos

wayyyyyy too many highschoolers

Were they there for Derby week or some other event?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
miesque

Glad to hear you are having a great time and please keep us posted on how you are doing. Hopefully the high schoolers aren't on your floor hanging outside in the hallways all hours of the night, that is the type of thing that irks me. But at least its not a bunch of bratty, spoiled, undisciplined younger children running amuck around the hotel and making needless racket, that gets me snarling.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
BluegrassProf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Chippy
On the way back I saw a sign for "big boy". Remember that place from Austin powers. I went there.
Ha! I luv it! BB is very, very close to my heart.

Sounds like you're having a grand ol' time (great to hear to made it to KEE btw - is it not a completely fabulous place?). If you need a Lville restaurant recommend, let me know; I might could toss out an idea or two...I'm admittedly a bit of a foodie...

As a side note: If you get a chance in the evening (and the weather's nice), I'd swing by the Highlands/Bardstown Rd. area...it's a neat little part of town, particularly at dusk. Hip young crowd. Good place for coffee/ice cream and a stroll.
BluegrassProf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Wayyyy too many highschoolers

Is it just me or do high school girls get sluttier and sluttier every year? Alright, just kidding.....

If you make it back to Lexington and are anywhere near Three Chimneys you must grab lunch(or breakfast) at Wallace Station. Don't know the exact location, but it's close to Three Chimneys...maybe on Old Pike Road? A trip to Kentucky horse country takes a lot of planning. If you go again you have to go on the tour of Caliborne Farms in Paris, Ky. You will pet a Derby winner in Monarchos, meet Pulpit and Strike The Gold (he will bite you!) and even Arch, Eddington and Horse Chestnut. The best is saved for last though, as you will enter the horse cemetery and witness:

Secretariat buried next to Mr Prospector and Swale. A virtual who's who of horses past are laid to rest there....Round Table, Nijinsky II, etc....about 15-20 in all and it will leave you speechless. Danzig and Unbridled are not in that cemetery. Their graves are on another piece of land at Claiborne that we were not privy to. Amazing tour...looking forward to visiting Three Chimneys one day and seeing Smarty, War Chant, Dynaformer and others.

I am jealous not to be there, must be exciting.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
46zilzal
velocitician

NOTHING like a tour of Claiborne, but it is really best to go out of phase with the large numbers who collect in little Paris at Derby time.

BOTH times I went, it was in November and had the place to myself.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
miesque

I agree that Claiborne is a wonderful place to visit and the cemetary is truly hallowed ground with all the great horses who have been laid to rest there. Also give a to Wallace Station, its the perfect place to grab a casual lunch while visiting any farms in the Midway area. Its on Old Frankfurt Pike.
miesque is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
Zippy Chippy

Don't think I couldhandle the Secretariat cemetery. I am literallyin the front row finish line seat right now. Churchill is great. Tonight going to waterfront in Louisville. If any1 is in the area pm me
Zippy Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
FenceBored

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesque
I agree that Claiborne is a wonderful place to visit and the cemetary is truly hallowed ground with all the great horses who have been laid to rest there. Also give a to Wallace Station, its the perfect place to grab a casual lunch while visiting any farms in the Midway area. Its on Old Frankfurt Pike.
Delicious sandwiches and their cookies are great, too.

Zippy, if you're looking for a place for dinner with a view of the complete Louisville skyline try the Buckheads location just across the river. The Hooters right there might have a good view as well.
FenceBored is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Is it just me or do high school girls get sluttier and sluttier every year? Alright, just kidding.....

If you make it back to Lexington and are anywhere near Three Chimneys you must grab lunch(or breakfast) at Wallace Station. Don't know the exact location, but it's close to Three Chimneys...maybe on Old Pike Road? A trip to Kentucky horse country takes a lot of planning. If you go again you have to go on the tour of Caliborne Farms in Paris, Ky. You will pet a Derby winner in Monarchos, meet Pulpit and Strike The Gold (he will bite you!) and even Arch, Eddington and Horse Chestnut.
Zip, there's no Old Pike Road in Lexington, POT means Old Frankfort Pike. There's Newtown Pike, Leestown Pike, Paris Pike, which takes you out to Paris in Bourbon County. Its there, with a right turn in town that you're taken on out to Clairborne.

Too, the stallion rosters change at farms, including Claiborne. Horse Chesnut is no longer there, he's been gone. Believe he died. Monarchos is no longer there either. He moved to Charlie Nuckols Farm in Midway a good while back.

Stay in Lou'ville the rest of the week, you move around too much you end up chasing your tail, seeing and doing less. Particularly if your GPS died. Too, at the 2nd finest hotel in the city, the Galt House, you don't need to worry about how much a ticket's gonna set you back on Derby Day.
Keep your priorties straight.

Have fun!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply