Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Jasonm921

Rachel's race is 4 hours before the oaks

This is what is wrong with racing. It's bad enough three race tracks couldn't coordinate and synchronize post times for the Santa Anita Derby, Wood Memorial and the Illinois Derby but what the heck is Churchill thinking? How does one track screw this up? They have Rachel Alexandra going to the post at 1:26 local time. The Oaks is at 5:45 local time. Are they kidding me? Why not put them back to back and on Bravo and get some coverage of the reigning horse of the year on live tv. Only in horse racing can this happen.
Jasonm921 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #2
cpitt84

yeah im ticked about it. i got HRTV in hopes to watch rachel live. well, i work in the afternoon like most people so I can't watch it. Very annoying.
cpitt84 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
InsideThePylons-MW

All the people who preach product quality, marketing and new fans are the answers to racings problems instead of lowering the price are the ones in charge of decisions like these.

They seem not to care about what they preach other than as a defense when confronted with lowering takeout.

Last edited by InsideThePylons-MW; 04-27-2010 at 08:16 PM.
InsideThePylons-MW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
philofbelloni

I was a bit bullshit when I first saw that but as I read the card I felt a redeeming calm. In a perfect world, it would have been race 9 or 10 but this card is great. I'm impressed and may invite the boss and a few other co-workers for a long lunch at the local parlor.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
NTamm1215

So their choices were run it as the 6th and have a very lucrative Pick 4 sequence or run it as the 10th race and get it on Bravo. I think they made the right choice.

NT
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Jasonm921

The pick 4?????? ....this is why racing is relegated to begging for slots to put in there vacant halls where thousands once bet. I love a good bet as well but the cause for the common good is to get more people back into this sport. We are treated to a returning horse of the year and we treat the race like it is the 5th at belmont.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
I have my TV set to record both the HRTV Oaks coverage...which starts early and goes pretty much all day...so I know I'll see Rachel...and set to record the Oaks on Bravo ( I love technology...we can record two shows at the same time) ...I am in hopes that Bravo will show the La Troinne and talk up Rachel pretty good...considering the veiwership of Bravo, they can even show Rachel's Vouge spread...that keeps in with the BS girlie stuff they show on Bravo.

And, if 'they' have any part of a brain still working, on the NBC telecast of the Derby, they need to show both the Oaks & the La Troinne...they have a great way to get into both those races in a segment because there's a filly in the Derby.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Jasonm921

Joanie ...I'm sure they will show the replay but the drama of rachel in the post parade against the horse that just beat her will not be shown. If she loses on friday she may be done. This may be the most important race of the weekend (if she loses) considering the year long ramifications. Unless there is a triple crown winner ofcourse.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:06 PM   #9
NTamm1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonm921
The pick 4?????? ....this is why racing is relegated to begging for slots to put in there vacant halls where thousands once bet. I love a good bet as well but the cause for the common good is to get more people back into this sport. We are treated to a returning horse of the year and we treat the race like it is the 5th at belmont.
Churchill is in the business of racing. Putting out a good racing product is among their chief concerns. They want patrons on-track and patrons wagering. They have Rachel running, that takes care of Part 1. They have a very strong card, that takes care of Part 2.

I don't really get chastising them for carding it as the 6th it seems to me like another in a long line of complaints made by members of this board at racetrack management that is misguided.

NT
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
So their choices were run it as the 6th and have a very lucrative Pick 4 sequence or run it as the 10th race and get it on Bravo. I think they made the right choice.

NT
The sport has 2 well known current stars....Z and RA

Would any other sport put one of those on the undercard 4 hours before the main event when nobody is paying attention?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonm921
Joanie ...I'm sure they will show the replay but the drama of rachel in the post parade against the horse that just beat her will not be shown. If she loses on friday she may be done. This may be the most important race of the weekend (if she loses) considering the year long ramifications. Unless there is a triple crown winner ofcourse.
Correct...I can only assume those jugheads have no clue...if they want to attrack new fans, especially women, they need to show the lead up to the actual race...jeeze, they could really get some mileage outta this...just drives me nuts I love watching all the stuff before the race...the drama, the stories...there is so much to offer the casual fan, yet racing fails again & again.

this IS Rachel's biggest moment...I know that although I feel confident that she's going to win (if Calvin has to sprout wings himself to do it...he will) I will be a nervous wreck until it's over...
aaarrggghhhh

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Why is this Rachel's biggest moment?
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
InsideThePylons-MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk
Why is this Rachel's biggest moment?
Uhhh......If she gets beat, she is done?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #14
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

So the rest of the year without Rachel will be like....the last eight months?
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #15
sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
Churchill is in the business of racing. Putting out a good racing product is among their chief concerns. They want patrons on-track and patrons wagering. They have Rachel running, that takes care of Part 1. They have a very strong card, that takes care of Part 2.

I don't really get chastising them for carding it as the 6th it seems to me like another in a long line of complaints made by members of this board at racetrack management that is misguided.

NT
Let me ask you this. What if Zenyatta was also in the race and it ended up being a five or six horse field? Would CD still have put it where they did on the card because of the Pick 4 or would they have put it right before the Oaks because of the star power? If they did move it to later on the card, their Pick 4 handle would have suffered as well. I'm going to be at the Oaks, and this move is puzzling. Believe me, many people come late to the track on Oaks and Derby days, many people will miss this race.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply