Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #6976
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
More than 34 million Americans have diabetes (about 1 in 10), and approximately 90-95% of them have type 2 diabetes.

Over 70 million adults in U.S. are obese (35 million men and 35 million women). 99 million are overweight (45 million women and 54 million men). NHANES 2016 statistics showed that about 39.6% of American adults were obese.

Add in COPD, asthma, heart disease and an overwhelming number are at risk.
My high school football position coach said this about turnovers. "I have no sympathy for self inflicted wounds"

Thats how I see people who have eaten their way into diabetes, obesity, etc. It was a choice. No one ordered them to live a shitty lifestyle.

For those with conditions that had nothing to do with lifestyle choices, that's a different story. But the fact is, the vast majority of people with the issues you've listed above has brought their poor health on themselves. Sad but true

Good health has its rewards.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #6977
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
My high school football position coach said this about turnovers. "I have no sympathy for self inflicted wounds"

Thats how I see people who have eaten their way into diabetes, obesity, etc. It was a choice. No one ordered them to live a shitty lifestyle.

For those with conditions that had nothing to do with lifestyle choices, that's a different story. But the fact is, the vast majority of people with the issues you've listed above has brought their poor health on themselves. Sad but true

Good health has its rewards.
I would certainly agree with your high school coach but a lot of people with Type 2 diabetes were following the so-called "healthy" eating guidelines. At this point there is still way too much confusion even in the scientific community as to what is good and what is bad for your health.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #6978
thaskalos

Obesity is killing this country. "It's not your fault", the psychologists tell the obese population...as if someone else is shoving the extra food down the fat people's throats. As long as the obesity rate stays where it is...the health scares will only increase in intensity in our country. We are digging our graves with our forks and knives.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #6979
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Obesity is killing this country. "It's not your fault", the psychologists tell the obese population...as if someone else is shoving the extra food down the fat people's throats. As long as the obesity rate stays where it is...the health scares will only increase in intensity in our country. We are digging our graves with our forks and knives.
EXACTLY..from a totally PREVENTABLE cause...
Old 09-04-2020, 03:59 PM   #6980
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I would certainly agree with your high school coach but a lot of people with Type 2 diabetes were following the so-called "healthy" eating guidelines. At this point there is still way too much confusion even in the scientific community as to what is good and what is bad for your health.
Completely off topic, but if there is anyone struggling to lose weight, or struggling with pre diabetes, or diabetes, I strongly advise they go on you tube and do a search for Jason Fung. He has a 6 part presentation(about an hour each) on the Aetiology of Obesity(parts 1 to 6). It is fascinating stuff and you will learn a lot. Do I agree with everything he says, of course not, but he knows a lot more about this stuff than I do. It is presented in a very understandable fashion.
Poindexter is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #6981
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
Completely off topic, but if there is anyone struggling to lose weight, or struggling with pre diabetes, or diabetes, I strongly advise they go on you tube and do a search for Jason Fung. He has a 6 part presentation(about an hour each) on the Aetiology of Obesity(parts 1 to 6). It is fascinating stuff and you will learn a lot. Do I agree with everything he says, of course not, but he knows a lot more about this stuff than I do. It is presented in a very understandable fashion.
Read his excellent book : The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss Jason Fung
Old 09-04-2020, 04:33 PM   #6982
AndyC

Quote:
While I have never been overweight, I would agree with the psychologists that for many people it's not their fault. There are many roads to obesity and a person has probably spent a long time on one of those roads long before they were shoving extra food down their throats.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:36 PM   #6983
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
I have seen a lot of Fung's Youtube videos and read a lot of what he has written. I incorporated fasting in my health protocol a few years ago.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #6984
thaskalos

Quote:
While I have never been overweight, I would agree with the psychologists that for many people it's not their fault. There are many roads to obesity and a person has probably spent a long time on one of those roads long before they were shoving extra food down their throats.
What about this child obesity problem that has become a virtual epidemic in our country, Andy? Do you suppose that our children too have gotten overweight as a result of traveling down that "long hard road"? No one seems to be at fault...no matter what the addiction. Everybody says that they've been "wronged", and "lied to".

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-04-2020 at 05:11 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2020, 05:26 PM   #6985
AndyC

Quote:
What about this child obesity problem that has become a virtual epidemic in our country, Andy? Do you suppose that our children too have gotten overweight as a result of traveling down that "long hard road"? No one seems to be at fault...no matter what the addiction. Everybody says that they've been "wronged", and "lied to".
Your first post indicated that obesity was a personal choice inflicted on oneself by simply over eating. At what point is a child educated enough and able to make nutritional decisions on their own? Yes they are victims.

Some kids are born on the road due to their mother's bad nutrition, others start on the road by being fed a horrible diet. When processed packaged food laden with sugar is considered an acceptable food for school children it is no surprise of the rise in childhood obesity. And don't discount the constant use of electronics wreaking havoc on their developing bodies and immune systems.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:20 PM   #6986
thaskalos

Quote:
Your first post indicated that obesity was a personal choice inflicted on oneself by simply over eating. At what point is a child educated enough and able to make nutritional decisions on their own? Yes they are victims.

Some kids are born on the road due to their mother's bad nutrition, others start on the road by being fed a horrible diet. When processed packaged food laden with sugar is considered an acceptable food for school children it is no surprise of the rise in childhood obesity. And don't discount the constant use of electronics wreaking havoc on their developing bodies and immune systems.
I initially said that people cause their own obesity...and you implied that it isn't necessarily their own fault. And the psychologists agree...by telling the obese people that "the diets have failed them.

Here's a little story that I've never shared with anyone before:

Twelve years ago I was diagnosed with a life-threatening disease which, without surgery and extensive chemotherapy treatments, my doctor assured me would kill me in a year's time. I was 46 years old at the time...and was solely responsible for the care of my then 9-year-old son. My wife had died of a gruesome disease 4 years earlier, at the age of 37. After assessing the circumstances of my life, and having already witnessed what conventional medicine had done to my wife...I decided to ignore my doctor's advice, and I took total control of my diet and lifestyle. I overhauled my diet completely, and adopted the sort of strict eating regimen that I never would have been strong enough to follow had I not been in such a scary life situation. After following my self-prescribed diet for a couple of weeks, I discovered that I had enough new energy to allow me to start a regular exercise program...whose intensity I increased as my energy increased. Fast-forward 12 years...and my health is at its highest peak...while I find myself in the best physical condition of my life. My doctor calls it a "miracle".

After what I saw happen to me...I naturally became an advocate for healthy living...and decided to share what I knew with several sick relatives of mine. I have a sister whose house is a block away from mine...and she had been having a weight problem for 20 years. She was pre-diabetic, and was on blood pressure medication since her 40th birthday. I shared my story with her...and begged her to change her diet for the sake of herself, and her two daughters. She persistently and politely ignored my advice...by jokingly telling me that life wasn't worth living if we couldn't eat the foods that we "craved".

My sister was infected with the coronavirus in May of this year...and died soon thereafter, after spending 20 days on a ventilator. She was 52. And, instead of feeling sorry for her...I am overcome by anger...because I am convinced that she contributed heavily to her own demise. And, why didn't she strive to make the needed changes in order to regain her health ahead of time? Because, IMO, her pre-diabetic state and her high blood pressure weren't grave enough illnesses to entice her to make the much-needed lifestyle changes. If she had gotten sick with cancer...maybe she would have been scared enough to follow some sound dietary advice. So, when you tell me that the obese people have gained the weight because of some "outside suffering"...I find myself in strong disagreement with you. As far as I am concerned, these people haven't experienced ENOUGH suffering. Because if they had...then they would have gotten scared shitless...and taken drastic measures to remedy their health problems. Like I did. No real change is possible until you are scared to death. But, for most...that comes way too late.

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-04-2020 at 06:24 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2020, 08:20 PM   #6987
tucker6

Quote:
I initially said that people cause their own obesity...and you implied that it isn't necessarily their own fault. And the psychologists agree...by telling the obese people that "the diets have failed them.

Here's a little story that I've never shared with anyone before:

Twelve years ago I was diagnosed with a life-threatening disease which, without surgery and extensive chemotherapy treatments, my doctor assured me would kill me in a year's time. I was 46 years old at the time...and was solely responsible for the care of my then 9-year-old son. My wife had died of a gruesome disease 4 years earlier, at the age of 37. After assessing the circumstances of my life, and having already witnessed what conventional medicine had done to my wife...I decided to ignore my doctor's advice, and I took total control of my diet and lifestyle. I overhauled my diet completely, and adopted the sort of strict eating regimen that I never would have been strong enough to follow had I not been in such a scary life situation. After following my self-prescribed diet for a couple of weeks, I discovered that I had enough new energy to allow me to start a regular exercise program...whose intensity I increased as my energy increased. Fast-forward 12 years...and my health is at its highest peak...while I find myself in the best physical condition of my life. My doctor calls it a "miracle".

After what I saw happen to me...I naturally became an advocate for healthy living...and decided to share what I knew with several sick relatives of mine. I have a sister whose house is a block away from mine...and she had been having a weight problem for 20 years. She was pre-diabetic, and was on blood pressure medication since her 40th birthday. I shared my story with her...and begged her to change her diet for the sake of herself, and her two daughters. She persistently and politely ignored my advice...by jokingly telling me that life wasn't worth living if we couldn't eat the foods that we "craved".

My sister was infected with the coronavirus in May of this year...and died soon thereafter, after spending 20 days on a ventilator. She was 52. And, instead of feeling sorry for her...I am overcome by anger...because I am convinced that she contributed heavily to her own demise. And, why didn't she strive to make the needed changes in order to regain her health ahead of time? Because, IMO, her pre-diabetic state and her high blood pressure weren't grave enough illnesses to entice her to make the much-needed lifestyle changes. If she had gotten sick with cancer...maybe she would have been scared enough to follow some sound dietary advice. So, when you tell me that the obese people have gained the weight because of some "outside suffering"...I find myself in strong disagreement with you. As far as I am concerned, these people haven't experienced ENOUGH suffering. Because if they had...then they would have gotten scared shitless...and taken drastic measures to remedy their health problems. Like I did. No real change is possible until you are scared to death. But, for most...that comes way too late.
A heavy post Gus. It reminds me a lot of my life. My mother was like your sister in that she was very overweight and diabetic with one kidney. Eventually that kidney failed. I recall discussing her eating habits for 30 years. Every time I got the same comment. “I can do what I want and it’s none of your business”. So when she died on the operating room table trying to get a port installed for dialysis, I didn’t feel sorry for her. She got exactly what she wanted. She did what she wanted and got the expected outcome.

I’m sorry to hear of your sister’s death.

Last edited by tucker6; 09-04-2020 at 08:21 PM.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2020, 09:11 PM   #6988
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zilzal View Post
EXACTLY..from a totally PREVENTABLE cause...
So why should the rest of us SUFFER for THEIR stupidity...???

That's been my take on this whole cov/19 thing...SHIT....they haven't EVEN got a vaccine for the Flu that's near 100% dependable...you think they're going TO MAGICALLY get one now for cov 19(84)...
Old 09-04-2020, 09:52 PM   #6989
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage View Post
So why should the rest of us SUFFER for THEIR stupidity...???

That's been my take on this whole cov/19 thing...SHIT....they haven't EVEN got a vaccine for the Flu that's near 100% dependable...you think they're going TO MAGICALLY get one now for cov 19(84)...
Once it started it was hard to change course, early on some thought this was a bio weapon.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CW.jpg (388.7 KB, 13 views)
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2020, 11:18 PM   #6990
davew

Quote:
corn syrup in potato chips and pop - its their fault
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: