Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #136
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
Picky picky picky.....Tell ya what.....Vic is a good race announcer. Not everyone can as perfect as you. So, grab a recorder, head to your nearest favorite track, call a race or two and post the audio here. Then we will either praise you or rip your hide off.
Until you can walk in another man's shoes, don't be so critical.
Ahem. This is NOT meant to be a discussion. I have posted all I am going to state on this matter so if your thinking of replying you would be wasting your time. Done. Tout finit

I tried that once on a race I had on VCR, I even cheated by watching the race over and over before making my call. It was a disaster, worst race call I ever heard in my life.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2017, 01:22 PM   #137
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
Picky picky picky.....Tell ya what.....Vic is a good race announcer. Not everyone can as perfect as you. So, grab a recorder, head to your nearest favorite track, call a race or two and post the audio here. Then we will either praise you or rip your hide off.
Until you can walk in another man's shoes, don't be so critical.
Ahem. This is NOT meant to be a discussion. I have posted all I am going to state on this matter so if your thinking of replying you would be wasting your time. Done. Tout finit
I think Vic is pretty good but he can still be critiqued. I'm not good enough to be in the Nba but I'm still able to see players who makes mistakes or just plain suck.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2017, 09:44 AM   #138
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
I have Buchdahl recordings of stake races at Oak Tree 76-81. He was also the back up to Johnson at Santa Anita. Not sure who helped out Henson during those years.
I read an article that Trevor went full time at Santa Anita when Buchdahl left for Hollywood Park in 1983. Going to You tube you can't find many Buchdahl called races at Hollywood around 1983 and forward a lot of voices I can't identify, it seems Buchdahl didn't last long there. I thought he was a decent announcer wonder where he went after Hollywood?
Old 02-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #139
NTamm1215

The "Until you've done it, you can't critique" argument sucks.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #140
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

I tried 'calling' a race between my car and the others on the expressway two or three times. I was surprised how tounge tied I kept getting. And I didn't even have to memorize the names of the other cars! Defiitely takes quite a bit of practice, and one is vulnerable to a mistake at any time.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #141
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
The "Until you've done it, you can't critique" argument sucks.
Reminds me of Buck Showalter not using Zach Britton in the wild card game. I guess because I've never managed I can't say it was an idiotic move.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2017, 05:32 PM   #142
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I read an article that Trevor went full time at Santa Anita when Buchdahl left for Hollywood Park in 1983. Going to You tube you can't find many Buchdahl called races at Hollywood around 1983 and forward a lot of voices I can't identify, it seems Buchdahl didn't last long there. I thought he was a decent announcer wonder where he went after Hollywood?

Trevor was brought over from South Africa by the Oak Tree people in 1983, after Buchdahl took the Hollywood Park job.

At that time Marje Everett owned HOL and had a lot of personnel turnover due to conflicts in management. Buchdahl only lasted 2 years and she let him go and hired Jim Byers. After that Buchdahl mostly went into management and only called for short stints.

HOL did not really have another steady announcer after Harry Henson was let go in 1982 until Vic, who was there 12 years and was really wonderful.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2017, 05:49 PM   #143
SoCalCircuit

Vic couldn't have had more of a moronic call in the stakes race today. Just completely wrong in anticipating the stretch.
SoCalCircuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2017, 06:17 PM   #144
VeryOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Reminds me of Buck Showalter not using Zach Britton in the wild card game. I guess because I've never managed I can't say it was an idiotic move.
This Orioles fan caught the analogy Brutal.

To be honest I've never had a problem with Vic's calls and don't come here to bury him. If he needs time to get back in form, so be it. This sport has much bigger issues than whether the Oaklawn announcer is in top form or not.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #145
cato
Irrationally exuberant

Calling the comings and goings of 8 - 12 different horses and jocks racing each other at 30-40 mph in a 72 second period of time (and repeating that every 30 minutes) is challenging. Vic's a good race caller and I like his banter.

He also gets kudos from me because he clearly loves the sport.
cato is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #146
chenoa

What the hell was that Oaklawn Race #3, is the audio botched or was he still calling the race past the finish line!!!
Old 02-26-2017, 03:50 PM   #147
Inner Dirt

I like Vic as I used to be a regular Hollywood Park customer and suffered for decades after Harry Henson retired till they found a steady decent track announcer when Vic came along. The way some people are posting you think they believe Vic is the worst track announcer of all time. I have to believe many are doing it because they disagreed with his opinions when he was here and it has nothing to do with his skills behind the mike.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #148
chenoa

Nothing against Vic, just wondering if my audio is/was on delay or if it was a gaffe.

Agreed, Vic was superb at Hollywood Park. Don't know if it's the position of the booth at Oaklawn or if father time is catching up with him, they have run more than enough races at the meet for the rust to shake off.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:18 PM   #149
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenoa View Post
Nothing against Vic, just wondering if my audio is/was on delay or if it was a gaffe.

Agreed, Vic was superb at Hollywood Park. Don't know if it's the position of the booth at Oaklawn or if father time is catching up with him, they have run more than enough races at the meet for the rust to shake off.
He may have forgotten that the mile races finish at the 1/16th pole.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2017, 06:35 PM   #150
Mr. Pick 5
Veteran

What'd I miss?....another day another stauffer disaster call?....can't say I'm not surprised....yet people on here LOVE him for literally reasons unbeknownst to any human with working ears
Mr. Pick 5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: