Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 05-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #1
RaceTrackDaddy

Can't believe nothing posted on the call of Resolve at M1

I have to admit I have been mostly a greyhound and thoroughbred fan the last half year or so but now having an interest in standardbreds since the stake season has started I see what I think is just one more problem with this sport. No standardized rule on the pylons.

Just for those that did not know, Resolve in race 1 at the Big M today was DQ'd for going inside three pylons (via the video I saw, it was in the home stretch and the bike tire was just past the pylon on two). Resolve won by a widening four and a quarter lengths.

If this race was held at the Meadows, the judges call would have been determined by the length of victory as contrasted to the amount of distance gained by the infraction (going inside the pylons). At the Mea, Resolve would not have been disqualified and the connections would have received the purse money (think the race went for hundred and fifty k).

The judges at the Big M placed Resolve 9th (last).

If I needed a reason not to come back into harness racing, this race would have provided a major one. That being rules are not consistent throughout the sport.

Resolved did not gain any advantage by going inside those pylons and anyone who bet the race on that horse got screwed royal by the sport itself.

If the sport doesn't desire to standardize the pylon rule, they might as well put back up the hub rails so as to protect the public from different rules about the same infraction throughout the sport.

I can't recall a time when the tracks wanted to protect the public in modern days; but if Delvin Miller was still alive and running his track, he would be a voice for such standardization of the rules throughout the sport.

Today, the bottom line is slot money so in the Racino mindset, the public can go to hell. I went to the dogs and sport of kings instead.

Last edited by RaceTrackDaddy; 05-08-2016 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Omission
RaceTrackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2016, 12:07 AM   #2
Stick

I actually think the pylon rules are pretty consistent with the exception of the Meadowlands. I have no idea if a horse is going to come down there when it is a pylon infraction. I have seen horses win by a nose and go inside pylons and not come down. I have seen guys drive way inside and the explanation is that he did not gain an unfair advantage. I have heard that you don't come down if you are on the lead. That is crazy. I have seen drivers with half the bike inside the pylons and an inquiry was not even put up. Now today this horse wins by open lengths and the pylons had no impact on the result. What do they do? Take him down. This is coming from a guy who had a win bet on Bee A Magician.

Last edited by Stick; 05-09-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
TvgFrankie

DQ
I felt it was wrong call (Just Me)
He won so easy and did not interfere with anyone .
If the call can go both ways on some occasions - Its no rule to me .
------------
My League
Starting end of May
Openings after the playoffs
---
http://horseracingtoday.yuku.com/top...s#.VzEAPDUo6M8
TvgFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2016, 05:19 AM   #4
caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTrackDaddy

If I needed a reason not to come back into harness racing, this race would have provided a major one. That being rules are not consistent throughout the sport.

Resolved did not gain any advantage by going inside those pylons and anyone who bet the race on that horse got screwed royal by the sport itself.

I agree 100%. I think horses should almost never be tossed actually. If you ever watch Australian thoroughbred it takes a lot to get tossed.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
pandy

I agree that the rules should be consistent through the industry. I don't think it's good for the sport to have different rules at every track.

They have the same problem in thoroughbred racing, each track sets its own rules. When Bayern was not disqualified in the 2014 Breeders Cup Classic, the Santa Anita judges basically said that although he caused interference, they didn't take him down because it was interference at the start of the race. Well, at other tracks, Baynern would have come down, same kind of inconsistency.

With Resolve, it seems to me that many other horses that raced inside the pylons at the Meadowlands were not taken down. And Resolve was tons the best in the race. I did not think he should have come down, the fact that he went inside the pylons didn't affect the finish at all.

There was a very strong headwind that day which is probably why Ake failed to control the horse.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #6
Sea Biscuit

Here is a 2013 article in Hoof Beats Magazine which pertains to pylon violations

http://xwebapp.ustrotting.com/absolu...2712&zoneid=13
Sea Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2016, 12:40 AM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

If the hubrails were still in play, the bettors of the winner get paid. But they took the rails down for safety of horses and drivers, so why should bettors get punished in this particular way? It's as if judges don't realize or care that these could be life altering DQs for some bettors and could cause customers to never come back, these are unacceptable disqualifications that the bettors shouldn't have to endure, there needs to be a better system in place rather than old, politically appointed boobs making whim decisions on stuff like this, no excuse for it.

Also, they're taking a guy down in a 150k race ? Incredible.

If I regularly bet that place I'd boycott them, fans should get together and stand in front of the track and make a protest because the next time it's going to be their horse that unfairly comes down.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2016, 01:35 AM   #8
Sea Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
If the hubrails were still in play, the bettors of the winner get paid. But they took the rails down for safety of horses and drivers, so why should bettors get punished in this particular way? It's as if judges don't realize or care that these could be life altering DQs for some bettors and could cause customers to never come back, these are unacceptable disqualifications that the bettors shouldn't have to endure, there needs to be a better system in place rather than old, politically appointed boobs making whim decisions on stuff like this, no excuse for it.

Also, they're taking a guy down in a 150k race ? Incredible.

If I regularly bet that place I'd boycott them, fans should get together and stand in front of the track and make a protest because the next time it's going to be their horse that unfairly comes down.
Disqualifications have been a part of the horse racing game since the beginning of time.

Good or bad the rule is if a part of the sulky goes over 3 consecutive pylons you are to be placed last. This rule is the same for a 150 grand and also a million dollar race.

Ake's sulky not only went over 3 pylons, his horse's feet even left the track.

Now what part of the rule you don't understand?

I understand that the public who bet the horse will be pissed off by the DQ but it also helped the the bettors who wagered on the Bee. In the long run it evens out.

I can assure you nobody quits the game just because of a DQ, Not even you.

If you want to have the rule changed, get busy and start a campaign and start writing letters to the powers at be who have a say in the matter.

Last edited by Sea Biscuit; 05-12-2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:49 AM   #9
Sea Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
If the hubrails were still in play, the bettors of the winner get paid.
What nonsense. If the hubrail was there, there was a possibility of Ake's horse coming down bringing with him a slew of horses behind him.

Its a proven fact that the introduction of pylons has saved many a life and limb on the track.

So lets not even think of bringing the hubrail back.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:39 PM   #10
Sea Biscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Biscuit
What nonsense. If the hubrail was there, there was a possibility of Ake's horse coming down bringing with him a slew of horses behind him.

Its a proven fact that the introduction of pylons has saved many a life and limb on the track.

Watch this Niatross replay video going over the fence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cH_bpBtsrE

Last edited by Sea Biscuit; 05-12-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #11
TvgFrankie

Quote:
Watch this Niatross replay video going over the fence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cH_bpBtsrE

-------------

I agree - No Hub Rail
TvgFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2016, 02:52 AM   #12
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

putting this specific race aside, the point of my post was that if the hubrails were there, you don't lose money on a pylon violation, that's all i meant, i'm not suggesting we bring back hubrails.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:54 AM   #13
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Disqualifications have been a part of the horse racing game since the beginning of time.

Good or bad the rule is if a part of the sulky goes over 3 consecutive pylons you are to be placed last. This rule is the same for a 150 grand and also a million dollar race.

I understand that the public who bet the horse will be pissed off by the DQ but it also helped the the bettors who wagered on the Bee. In the long run it evens out.

If you want to have the rule changed, get busy and start a campaign and start writing letters to the powers at be who have a say in the matter.
pylon dqs are never 'by the book' every track 'decides' who gets placed down and who does not, its not like a puck over the glass in the nhl in the defensive zone by a defensive player, decisions are made, not every pylon horse comes down, most judges use some discretion.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:56 AM   #14
Stillriledup
Veteran

anyone want to comment on the 14th race at pocono on may 16th and tell me why the 1 wasn't disqualified for essentially going into the infield on the backstretch while on a break. i didnt see the head on but it sure looked like this horse was inside pylons.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:26 PM   #15
pokerwhzkid

Quote:

Be great if a horse got thrown out to last every time a horse goes inside 3 pylons if that's what u want to happen but that is the issue the original poster has is lack of consistency. I have seen it happen at meadowlands with closer races and horse stays. It's so inconsistent and irritating. I find myself laughing many times at decisions made by meadowlands judges. I get to the point now where whatever decision should Made I just assume that the judges will make the exact opposite.
pokerwhzkid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: