Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 07-18-2014, 05:38 AM   #16
willphorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit
No it shouldn't be ok but unfortunately it seems some people can't even recognize the issues with it!

But don't worry, he self-incriminates himself in recent articles.

“Why should I put pace into the race? I had no reason to do that." - J Takter

Well if it wasn't a horse you trained on the front end you might have Jimmy.
His quotes solidify my view. If my horse was in the same position, I would expect the same type of drive!
willphorse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2014, 05:47 AM   #17
willphorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by willphorse
His quotes solidify my view. If my horse was in the same position, I would expect the same type of drive!

Let me make something clear. I am COMPLETELY against a trainer or driver in the same race as another horse they are part owner of. I am in no way arguing about that.

I am just stating that even if he had blocked, the favorite had a rail trip, was urged entire stretch and still couldn't 't get by for place. I just do not see a need for him to urge the 99-1 to either clear lead, or most likely get parked and cause a massive cluster on backstretch.

If he pulled back, ending his chances, how would the owners of the 99-1 feel? Angry that they didn't even get an opportunity to be in the race. That is like giving up. He is the world class trainer/driver and has been around more races than any of us. If he thought he had horse to stay out there and grind and possibly hang on to cash for the owners, that is his prerogative.

If he is found guilty, I will eat my words, but as it stands, I think he raced the horse to please the owners and at least give them a shot. If you notice, a horse was also parked right behind him. If he had pulled back, it would have caused issues for that horse as well.

Change the rule, but IMO Takter did not break any rules here.
willphorse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2014, 06:08 AM   #18
Sea Biscuit

Quote:
Let me make something clear. I am COMPLETELY against a trainer or driver in the same race as another horse they are part owner of. I am in no way arguing about that.

I am just stating that even if he had blocked, the favorite had a rail trip, was urged entire stretch and still couldn't 't get by for place. I just do not see a need for him to urge the 99-1 to either clear lead, or most likely get parked and cause a massive cluster on backstretch.

If he pulled back, ending his chances, how would the owners of the 99-1 feel? Angry that they didn't even get an opportunity to be in the race. That is like giving up. He is the world class trainer/driver and has been around more races than any of us. If he thought he had horse to stay out there and grind and possibly hang on to cash for the owners, that is his prerogative.

If he is found guilty, I will eat my words, but as it stands, I think he raced the horse to please the owners and at least give them a shot. If you notice, a horse was also parked right behind him. If he had pulled back, it would have caused issues for that horse as well.

Well said WillP
Sea Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #19
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

The owners of the 99-1 shot want to save ground on both turns and pray to get a check, they're not looking to get parked the mile in the 2 path on both turns so they can say they were given a "shot".

He probably won't be FOUND guilty but whether or not he did it on purpose, he ended up blocking the field and got in the way.

It really comes down to a guy driving NOT to win, but to help another horse or horses. That's not the way Harness racing is going to thrive. Also, does Jimmy Takter really need to block to win? The guy is the greatest trot trainer in the game, he has a barnful of great horses, the guy trains every great trotter in the game for the most part, he wins millions of dollars for his owners, his own bank accounts are stuffed with cash and he needs to stick a 99-1 shot in the road and get in the way to win a few more dollars at the expense of the health of the game?

Does the guy need to win every single race that's written in America for trotters?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply